Why become a member? ×

Should I go for it?

Finbar

So we've had a tutor at college for the last few months, who is leaving in about two weeks. As he's leaving, he asked to have a word with me, and he asked if I'd dep for his band. It's a covers band, for functions and that sort of thing, so it won't cross over with my 'proper' band creatively.

Basically, I just don't know what to expect from it. I'm 19, and this kind of thing hasn't crossed my mind, so I've no experience of it. So any warnings/encouragements and stuff on the matter?

In theory, I'd love to do it, if only for the experience. I have all the gear for it and I'm good enough to learn the repertoire (though I'll hate a lot of it). And of course, I'd love the money ;)

But on top of another originals band which is trying to make something of itself, and a full time college course with a lot of work I have to do in my own time, I'm not sure I can do it. Though again, I don't know what to expect from it, including the workload - it might be easily possible.

I'm going to have a more indepth chat with him soon (he just mentioned it very offhand and briefly earlier today), but anything you guys say in the meantime is appreciated :)

Just so you know, the guy who asked is Joel White, son of Frank White. Apparently he's semi-famous or something :huh: I don't know ;) Toured with Pulp and Finlay Quaye, but more importantly he's a really really good pianist/keyboardist. I'd be worried I wouldn't be up to what he's used to in his world of session musicians!

www.joelwhite.co.uk is the guy anyway.

Still do it....

I was like you.all Originals first,you cant learn what you dont know to begin with...Coverswork will teach you that,including what to do if sh*t goes down or blows up or the Keys player has a spazz out and someone HAS to do lead vox because the singers just croaked out over the smoke machine.....I hope theres some Chic in the set,Bernard Edwards IS the man,I play metal and I still think John Taylor is Infinately better than 90% of Bassists in any genre....plus you will get to learn how to play to charts.

PLUS ITS CASH!.....AND HE ASKED YOU!!!!...This guy could have asked ANYONE!

Better than flipping burgers on a saturday daytime! £40+ for one evenings work PLAYING Bass????
You'd be mental not to do it...playings good,being paid to plays even better.

Alex Webster,Les Claypool,Steve Digiorgio,All have or still play in covers/functions bands.

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='ARGH' post='124813' date='Jan 21 2008, 05:25 PM']Still do it....

I was like you.all Originals first,you cant learn what you dont know to begin with...Coverswork will teach you that....I hope theres some Chic in the set,Bernard Edwards IS the man.

PLUS ITS CASH!.....AND HE ASKED YOU!!!!

Better than flipping burgers on a saturday daytime![/quote]

my first band was a mix of covers and heavy rock originals. i was 17 at the time and was flung into it all a bit - i had to learn three 45 minute sets in two weeks, and before that I only knew 2 all the way through, and we weren't even playing them! baptism of fire is good. i feel ive got a really good idea of how bands work now. i still play in a covers band whilst im working on the originals.

As I've been playing covers for around 25 years now, I'm obviously going to say do it.

Firstly, he asked you, and that's a huge compliment in itself. So he clearly has faith in your playing. He certainly wouldn't want any old bass player in to replace him that he wouldn't trust to do a good job. I have a guy that replaces me now and again, and we've become fairly good friends because of it. I know, and the rest of the band knows that we can all trust him to do the business.

Sure, you won't like everything they do, but if it's done right, that can be rewarding on its own.

Plus, you'll be getting paid for doing something you enjoy anyway.

So yeah, go for it.

Hm, you guys are coming to pretty much the same conclusion as me. The last thing I want to do is look a gift horse in the mouth!

But the only problem I'm having is that this is going to contend heavily for time with my originals band. Both for learning material, and doing gigs. And with the best will in the world, the originals band is where my loyalty and time lies. I know if I take this up, it'll complicate things, and the other guys in the band will start splitting off into other groups too, which isn't good for us. Buh.

[quote name='Linus27' post='124896' date='Jan 21 2008, 06:30 PM']Yep do it. Play as much as you can and the experience of playing with other musicians will do you good and improve you as a player. Experience is experience and you should play as much as you can and you never know what it might lead onto.[/quote]
+1 Somenone somewhere might spot the talented genius on the bass, who is just what they are looking for, but besides all that it has to be all good playing live... and getting paid for it it's a no brainer is'nt it :)

I hope you have a 4 string lol

Maybe a 5 would be allowed....maybe :)

But seriously, yeah do it
If the people are right, then a lot of the time the tunes don't matter, its about playing with great musicians and learning from them!

Si

Definitely go for it . It may only be a case of him knowing he can call on you if his bassist is busy elsewhere or on holiday etc . Don't worry too much about it taking over from your other band . It is a dep job after all, and if you have prior commitments on a certain date he may want you to play, then he can only respect you for having loyalty to your regular band.
Covers bands can be awesome fun , and there is a wealth of knowledge to be had from playing in them.

Best of luck :)

Nick.

[quote name='Finbar' post='124904' date='Jan 21 2008, 06:37 PM']But the only problem I'm having is that this is going to contend heavily for time with my originals band. Both for learning material, and doing gigs. And with the best will in the world, the originals band is where my loyalty and time lies. I know if I take this up, it'll complicate things, and the other guys in the band will start splitting off into other groups too, which isn't good for us. Buh.[/quote]

Sorry Fin thats somewhere between rubbish and fear....

You learn the songs once,and then mechanically replay them,it takes up NO brain power..and after being learnt....no time...and if you can read charts,then you dont even rehearse tunes sometimes,you simply play,and you can add little flushes to make a tune your own...its great for contacts,and money,and I still get a buzz when a couple have their first dance to my Bassline.

You CAN make it work,and its going to be regular work that can fit around your originals band....If you nail a tune or two a day,you can have the full set by a fortnights end,in your case I reckon you'll be faster.

sh*t...hang on..Ive just seen your gig list....hmmmmm...It might be a problem..are you depping or taking over?

Your in Cinders fall aint you?

Edited by ARGH

Depping is great. You can get a good idea of covers work whilst not committing yourself, you learn new songs and get to work with other musicians. Oh and you can earn good money.

Only thing I would say as a matter of caution is that you need to be 110% sure of your equipment and have a back up plan. People are paying you to play, so an amp/guitar failure is out of the question.

If you're the Dep, all you have to say if you already have an originals gig booked on a particular date is that you can't do the covers gig, simple.

If you're literally taking over, then i would heavily advise getting at least 2 guys who can dep for you if you get an originals gig through. Thats what i do, i gig 2/3 nights a week, every week of the year pretty much with my covers and when i get my originals gigs through (which are my priority) i have 3 really great deps i can rely on!

Si

Edited by Sibob

Weell, I'm going to have words with him tomorrow, as he was quite vague today. See if he wants dep or full time.

And no, I'm not using a 4 or 5 string for it, shush :) And I won't have a bad word said against tapping!

Edited by Finbar

Good luck to you mate. As others have said the experience will prove very useful but I do understand your reservations. When I was 19 I wouldn't dream of playing any covers, or anyone else's bassline. Took me to my late thirties to say bollocks to principles and take the money, but I have to say I have learned a lot from studiously learning other peoples stuff since and now my original basslines do have more variety. The fear is of course you just end up sounding like another derivative bass player.
Hey ho, I'd still say take the gig. If you don't you'll always wonder and if you do and hate it you can walk away. I turned down chance to dep in a 'proper' band once and I still wonder where it might have led, of course I'll never know.

Hiya,
Agree with the other posters & would say do it. One of the key things about a gig like this is that it will give you experience of something you haven't done before & it's a good networking opportunity.

If you cut the mustard on the gig & the other guys like you, they may have contacts within the music industry who may be able to push things in the right direction with your originals outfit.

Doing these gigs requires the right attitude - being friendly, polite & helpful wins extra bonus points. I've depped with a few bands over the last 18 years & this is just as important as playing well on the gig. The money's handy too.....

Good luck - let us know how you get on if you decide to take it.

Cheers,
iamthewalrus