Why become a member? ×

Headstock Pick Holders

I have been "researching" this topic for a while as like my fav bass player Duff McKagan I play with picks mostly, sometimes finger style, sometimes both in the same song. Getting a pick in time without a mic stand became a small problem. I've found that Duff, Slash, Steve Vai all use custom made pick holders, made by their techs, but all the same materials and methods. Although Vai uses White and Black Strips, not clear like Duff/Slash.

Hopefully the pictures will illustrate in enough detail. Have tested lots of picks, all of which stay in place even with lots of movement. The holder is attached by a velcro strip. One side has to be stuck on the headstock. The top of the pick holder by the G-String machinehead, there is a little cut-out that allows easy installation of the picks. Again, something the stars seem to have.

I've made enough for myself, and I've sent out some to friends. Am offering the last few of this batch to bass chatters for a couple of [b]few quid [/b]towards parts and postage.

Edited by chriswilliams666

[quote name='chriswilliams666' post='1091923' date='Jan 16 2011, 10:36 PM']I have been "researching" this topic for a while as like my fav bass player Duff McKagan I play with picks mostly, sometimes finger style, sometimes both in the same song. Getting a pick in time without a mic stand became a small problem.

I've found that Duff, Slash, Steve Vai all use custom made pick holders, made by their techs, but all the same materials.

I've made enough for myself, and I've sent out some to friends. Am offering the last few of this batch to bass chatters for a couple of few quid towards parts and postage.

Hopefully the picture will illustrate. Have tested lots of picks, all of which stay in place even with lots of movement.[/quote]

Can't see a pic buddy.

[quote name='chriswilliams666' post='1094606' date='Jan 18 2011, 10:53 PM']Have shipped out 4 so far! You lucky, lucky people.[/quote]
Mine arrived last night, its now attached to the bass and I'll be giving it the first gig on Saturday night! Cheers Chris!

• 9 months later...

Hi Chris,
I know this thread has been dead for a while but I've been looking at doing the same thing recently (for the same reason :-) ). I tried using double sided cellotape but the grip was so good I couldn't get the picks off!

Could you share how you made the clip please? Are you using a binders you can buy for documents or something better? Do you have any left for sale?

Cheers,
Doug