Why become a member? ×

Scratchy Knob(s)

richy316

Ok i've had my Warwick Pro Fet 4 a while now and ever since i got it the gain and volume knobs have made a scratchy sound when turning them up or down. Also sometimes the limiter kicks in when turning the gain knob up and i get a popping/cracking noise from the speakers.

Is this just a case of spraying some contact liquid on the inside or should i take it to a amp tech for a service before i start gigging again?

If you can get access to the pots, then it's worth spraying some contact cleaner into them. It's cheap and usually fairly easy to do.

Attach a "straw" to the contact cleaner so that you can spray it accurately. Switch everything off, open it up and spray the cleaner sparingly into the open part of the pot. Leave it for a few seconds than turn the pot from min to max several times to spread it around.

If this makes no difference then it may be a worn/wearing component (usually a capacitor) that's creating noise.

Have a look at [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=4153&doy=23m1#overview"]Servisol Super 10 from www.maplin.co.uk[/url]

£4.00 a can.

Under the FAQs, someone's asked a question about it being used on guitar knobs.

Q) can this be used to clean tone knobs on a guitar?
A) Yes the product does support that.

So might be worth getting some if you have a store close.

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='126431' date='Jan 23 2008, 08:49 PM']Have a look at [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=4153&doy=23m1#overview"]Servisol Super 10 from www.maplin.co.uk[/url][/quote]

plus the one...

wd40 isn't a contact cleaner - quite the opposite. it leaves a lubricating film on whatever you spray it on...