Why become a member? ×

Filing a nut slot

Jono Bolton

I've concluded that the problem I'm having with my Low E string is that the nut slot isn't cut deep enough which is why the string keeps jumping out of the slot when I detune (which I have to do, a lot) Is the file I need the sort of thing I could buy at my local hardware store? I don't need or want a whole set of files. What sort of width should I get if I'm filing a low E slot?

Hold fire a minute. What gauge of strings are you using and what are you trying to tune it down to? It may not be a case of filing the nut, more a case of changing strings or setting the bass up correctly. Filing a nut is a permanent solution and by doing that you can wreck your chances of setting up your bass correctly in future.

If you file the nut so that it grips your string then you end up not allowing to move freely in the slot.

If you must do it, then you can buy a set of needle files quite cheaply from any DIY store and use one that fits the best.

I'm using 105 gauge strings. I detune the E to D for about half our set. It was a problem that popped up seemingly overnight. I thought it might be from when my local tech fitted me a new pickup and set it up. Should I fanny about with the set up before doing any filing?

Right, adjusted the hight of string, and it isn't any better.

[quote name='Muppet' post='125040' date='Jan 21 2008, 09:24 PM']If you file the nut so that it grips your string then you end up not allowing to move freely in the slot.[/quote]

I don't want it to grip the string but looking at the nut and string side on, less than half of the string sits in the groove. Also, changing the gauge of the strings doesn't help, it actually makes it worse. I wouldn't have said that filing the nut was a permanent solution, they are easily replaceable.

What I mean by permanent is that you can't reverse it - you have to buy a new nut and then have that filed etc....

If you were using 95 or 100 gauge then I would have suggested increasing as wider strings require greater tension, though a 105 detuned to D should be no problem at all.

Check the break angle of the string over the nut first and ensure the string is wound right down to the bottom of the string post and then, sure, consider filing the nut. As I said, any needle file will do but I don't know if they are sold individually.