Why become a member? ×

soldering a bridge

mr.sibs

[quote name='mr.sibs' post='125173' date='Jan 22 2008, 12:42 AM']i have been trying and failing to solder my badass bridge so i can ground it, but its not biting. ive tried scratching away the surface but its no use. i have a 30w iron that seems to heat it up okay but the solder just wont stick. any secrets??
ta[/quote]

You're never going to solder to something with that mass with even a 60W iron!
But you really don't need to anyway- good physical contact with the surface should be adequate.
If you feel you want more, use a small screw into the base.

The ground wire should come from the control cavity to underneath the bridge. As long as there is bare wire there (I tend to splay the wire thread out) then the pressure of the bridge being screwed on to it should provide good enough contact.

+1 Muppet

The ground wire is never soldered to the bridge. Make sure you have half an inch of bare wire and spread this out on the body where the bridge will sit. If you want you can roughen the underside of the bridge base a little with sandpaper to ensure a good contact. Then just screw the bridge down and the wire will be trapped and make contact ok.

It sounds a bit DIY but it's how all the manufacturers have been doing it for years !