Why become a member? ×

Sans amp

beerdragon

[quote name='beerdragon' post='11956' date='Jun 4 2007, 06:09 PM']Ok ignorance alert. i've heard of a sans amp but have never enquired what it does, i have a chance of borrowing one so i'd like to know something about it. i know i could google it but i would like it straight from the horses mouth so to speak :) . thanks.[/quote]

You've probably heard of the sansamp bass driver di (bddi). I used to have one a few years back. It can be used as a DI, but i mostly used it to beef out my sound a lot. Made my old carlsbro amp sound a thousand times better.

I'd say just give it a go and see if it's for you. I really liked it when I had mine, but doubt I'll pick up another as it may colour your sound a bit too much

The 'short' description would be that it is an amp and cab simulation in a pedal. It has a DI output that is 'meant' to simulate the sound of an amp and cab combination miked up, that can be fed to a PA. I know a lot of players that will feed the DI straight to the PA, but take the 'unnaffected' sound to their usual backline. You can treat the unit like a 'clever' DI box.

The sounds you can get out of the bddi are wide and varied. I understand that Geddy Lee only uses sansamp gear, instead of his old tour rig. You can get that Ampeggy crunch out of the pedal too.

If like me you are a fan of a HIFI tone, this pedal may not be for you. In that case, try the MXR M80. A very similar pedal, with extra switching options. The overdrive sound is ver different too.

I A/B'd the BDDI Vs the M80 at the last bass bash.

If you like it a lot, I'd recommend considering the programmable version (basically three different settings selected by three footswitches) - it's $205 from here: [url="http://www.bestbassgear.com/sansamp-bass-programmable-driver-di.htm"]http://www.bestbassgear.com/sansamp-bass-p...e-driver-di.htm[/url]

I don't see me ever getting rid of mine :)

[quote name='dood' post='11964' date='Jun 4 2007, 06:23 PM']If like me you are a fan of a HIFI tone, this pedal may not be for you. In that case, try the MXR M80. A very similar pedal, with extra switching options. The overdrive sound is ver different too.[/quote]

In this case you might be better splashing the extra cash and going for an EBS micro bass. Especially if you use two instruments :)

[quote name='Toasted' post='14884' date='Jun 10 2007, 12:46 AM']In this case you might be better splashing the extra cash and going for an EBS micro bass. Especially if you use two instruments :)[/quote]

Actually.. that is a much better idea Joe. I haven't heard the MicroBass, but Having tried a whole host of other EBS gear, I just know how good it will sound. I came so very close to using the cash I had to buy a cab, on a TD650!!! (I wouldn't have actually had anything to plug it into, but hey... )

[quote name='dood' post='11964' date='Jun 4 2007, 06:23 PM']If like me you are a fan of a HIFI tone, this pedal may not be for you.[/quote]

I'd agree with that. It's also not so hot with active basses - but seems to work a treat with passive ones (Ps & Js etc). You kinda need to set it up "just so" too, so one more thing to worry about when you gig.

Aphex Xciter also does similar thing but for half the price.

Hi guys, i got a question regarding Sansamp.

I have the Sansamp RBI, and i was wondering how would be the best way to use it? Would it be best just to use as a 'clever DI' as mentioned above and have the uneffected signal going to my rig, or use it with my amp somehow???? I'm not to keen on using instead of the preamp stage in my amp, so i am leaning more towards just using it as a DI. Just wondering what you guys would do???? My amp(s) are an Ampeg SVT CL or Ashdown ABM - 500 RC depending on the gig...

I have recently received a [url="http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Behringer/BDI21/10/1"]Behringer BDI 21[/url] in the mail. It sounds fantastic with a string dampener for simulating tube sounds when used with my TubePre. However, without a dampener, it sounds unrealistic and you can hear its wavy synth sound.

Does the SansAmp do this as well? I'd love to know. It was well worth the £17.25 I paid for it s/h mint though.

Hi.

for me, the sansamp pedal is the best £180 I ever spent. I think I liked it cos Doug Wimbish used one in Living Colour...can't remember. Anyway, I have used it in several ways: 1)as a pre-amp/DI which I have on numerous oocasions used thru a big pa at London gigs and had a monitor for my sound - this allowed a good sound without having to take an amp. 2) In studio - tone is very flexible esp as the controls are active, meaning that if you boost bass and treble, the mids will cut, and vice versa. All possibilities here coupled with the blend between the sound of your instrument and the sound of the sansamp allow a lot of possibilities. It also seems to saturate and create a tube-like sound too which is cool. 3) It is a mean fuzz pedal!!! A lot of bass distortions wimp out on the bottom end but on this you have a lot of control.

I'm no fan of line 6 pods etc and 'all in one' simulators, but if you work with sansamp you can get a lot of useable variety - it sounds good in the mix, not just the shop.

However, some may disagree!

[quote name='vegas_hooker' post='22148' date='Jun 23 2007, 12:00 AM']I love the BDDI but i really wish it had a dedicated mid range control.

It does really nail that scooped mid growl with a pbass though. tasty.[/quote]
If you cut the bass and treble and boost the volume, you're boosting mids.

I got the Programmable one, and it sorted my bass out nicely - its very mid-heavy, so the scoop worked a treat.

Great as a general pre-amp, I've got two main sounds, and a OD from it too.

Tends to get quie trebly with the presence up, nasty digital OD sound, but with a bit of playing about you can get some amazing sounds.

Well worth the extra for the three channel one too - didn't think I'd need it when I got sent it rather than the BDDI I'd ordered, but its worked out great!

Especially because the place I ordered from forgot to charge me...

I had a SABDDI for a lot of years, but the mid-scoop was always there even when I rolled the bass and treble back. The only way around it is to roll the blend back, but that means you lose the Tube and Mic'd cab emulation.

The EBS MicroBass does this - and more - a lot better IMO.