Why become a member? ×

8x10 cabs

andy67

[quote name='dood' post='126359' date='Jan 23 2008, 06:50 PM']I seem to recollect reading somewhere that between an Ampeg, Ashdown and a Marshall, it was actually the Marshall that sounded the best in a shoot out..[/quote]

Marshall really!! I use a 410 Marshall with my Hartke 410, oooo..... I have to say it....I can't stand the Marshall :)

If you remember where you caught that dood, will you let us know mate :huh: ? wouldn't mind reading that.

Cheers
Jase.

morning folks..

thanks for all the input, some very interesting reading...

had a look around for a Marshall 8x10 but could not gather enough info in order to get an overall picture but will seek further.....

I have played through an ashdown mag 810 deep which was ok standing next to it but walk around ten feet away and you lose it!!

The newer abm 810 has had a lot of cool reviews and they are UK made - spoke with ashdown they have a limited number in stock - but have never tried it!

All fingers appear to be pointing at the ampeg 810 as all reviews say this is the 810 to own!?

however as I am turning 41 will my back hold out? am I still fit enough to lug it about? am I gigging enough? it may just be a little crisis I am going through but I seem to really fancy one!

bugger.....

cheers

andy

[quote name='andy67' post='126671' date='Jan 24 2008, 09:17 AM']however as I am turning 41... it may just be a little crisis I am going through but I seem to really fancy one![/quote]

Maybe getting an 8 x 10 is the bass equivalent of buying a Harley (at our age!).

I'd love one (an 8 x 10 that is), and I've done the Harley thing in my youth... :)

[quote name='andy67' post='126671' date='Jan 24 2008, 09:17 AM']morning folks..

thanks for all the input, some very interesting reading...

had a look around for a Marshall 8x10 but could not gather enough info in order to get an overall picture but will seek further.....

I have played through an ashdown mag 810 deep which was ok standing next to it but walk around ten feet away and you lose it!!

The newer abm 810 has had a lot of cool reviews and they are UK made - spoke with ashdown they have a limited number in stock - but have never tried it!

All fingers appear to be pointing at the ampeg 810 as all reviews say this is the 810 to own!?

however as I am turning 41 will my back hold out? am I still fit enough to lug it about? am I gigging enough? it may just be a little crisis I am going through but I seem to really fancy one!

bugger.....

cheers

andy[/quote]

I have to admit a Neo 6x10 will give you anywhere from 90% - 110% of the performance of the 8x10's that you've ementioned @ 50% of the weight... you know it makes sense!

Total weight of cab (2100 watt) and amp (1000 watt) 38kg. Certainly saves this old man's back :)

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='126680' date='Jan 24 2008, 09:30 AM']I have to admit a Neo 6x10 will give you anywhere from 90% - 110% of the performance of the 8x10's that you've ementioned @ 50% of the weight... you know it makes sense!

Total weight of cab (2100 watt) and amp (1000 watt) 38kg. Certainly saves this old man's back :)[/quote]

Sod it. Get 4 2x10s. Your back will thank you. Make sure you get the right impedance though!

I know, i know....

cheers for the morning laugh folks!

found this: [url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Marshall-MBC810~ID~7642.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~M...810~ID~7642.asp[/url]

any input would be cool

ta

andy

[quote name='andy67' post='126736' date='Jan 24 2008, 10:45 AM']I know, i know....

cheers for the morning laugh folks!

found this: [url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Marshall-MBC810~ID~7642.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~M...810~ID~7642.asp[/url]

any input would be cool

ta

andy[/quote]

Thats a good price. Thomanns are coming in at 540ish so in my book, I reckon that's a pretty good deal! Have you test drove any cabs yet?

I still reckon you are making a mistake though... 4 2x10s, 2 4x10s I would say were a lot more useful than an 8x10... The transportation issues... and also, if you are playing a smaller gig and you turn up with an 8x10 you aren't going to be a popular guy.

That's just me though. What would I know? My experience is as follows - I've gone from 2 4x10s, to 1 4x10, to 2 2x10s. To me, lots of small cabs to me makes more sense, especially the 4 2x10s. Big gigs, take all your cabs, small gigs, rehearsing, just take the 1 2x10.) Of course, having an amp that goes down to 2 ohms helps.

I can fit my two 2x10s in the boot of my car. I couldn't get the 4x10 without taking the seats down.

But I have to admit, 8x10s do look cool.

hey..hey..

I have two ampeg b410hlf's....but cannot use them as an 810 because they are both 4ohm (making it a 2ohm load) my amps do max 4ohm!

I have bought leads and boxes allowing for series connection but it does not appear to work well.

[quote name='andy67' post='126820' date='Jan 24 2008, 12:27 PM']hey..hey..

I have two ampeg b410hlf's....but cannot use them as an 810 because they are both 4ohm (making it a 2ohm load) my amps do max 4ohm!

I have bought leads and boxes allowing for series connection but it does not appear to work well.[/quote]

Hey dude!

Ah, this ohm thing can be a right pain in the rear at times...

Yeah, if your amp is expecting a 4ohm load, you won't get the maximum out of those cabs. Nightmare huh?

Hmm. If you can manage the size of it, go for the 810 - just make sure you audition them before dropping the wedge! Good luck with it all!