Why become a member? ×

8x10 cabs

andy67

wee update...as finances are atrocious, I have bought an ashdown mag 810...again!

I liked this cab the first time round but thought it did not have enough push! loved the tone/volume close up but seemed to disappear at around 20 feet, however, I have sinced noticed that between the 9 and 10 oclock positions on my gain control the volume periodically drops out and that this, most likely, has been the issue. I have known the pot needs replacing for a while now.

I got the cab for £330 new and am quite pleased as at this point, I could not justify the cost of an svt 810e in my head nor my wallet!

I will get a proper review up as soon as I have it back in my practice room.

ta for all advice and help folks.

andy

If you find that you don't get along with it, particularly using the V4, then one thing you need to consider which hasn't been mentioned above is the cabinet design - whether it is sealed or ported. Ampeg and the marshall VBC810 are sealed designs, as a result you lose a bit of low end but you will struggle (probably fail) to stress the cab out, whilst a ported design can and will fart out if you get up to stupid volumes; especially with a valve amp. That's the reason that everyone swears by the Ampegs etc. they are just bullet proof.

Bergantino NV610 is supposedly better sounding (I don't know - never compared) - but it is [b]half[/b] the weight and yet still a similar sealed design. Price-wise, it's not cheap but it's still not much different from the Ampeg.

Edited by G-bitch

[quote name='G-bitch' post='131743' date='Feb 1 2008, 09:40 AM']If you find that you don't get along with it, particularly using the V4, then one thing you need to consider which hasn't been mentioned above is the cabinet design - whether it is sealed or ported. Ampeg and the marshall VBC810 are sealed designs, as a result you lose a bit of low end but you will struggle (probably fail) to stress the cab out, whilst a ported design can and will fart out if you get up to stupid volumes; especially with a valve amp. That's the reason that everyone swears by the Ampegs etc. they are just bullet proof.

Bergantino NV610 is supposedly better sounding (I don't know - never compared) - but it is [b]half[/b] the weight and yet still a similar sealed design. Price-wise, it's not cheap but it's still not much different from the Ampeg.[/quote]

Hi thanks for the info.

the mag 810 is sealed and has enough bottom end to keep me happy - love the clarity also!

I cant quite get my head around a 610 - think its simple aesthetics?? An 810 big and mean a 610 is getting there! definitely a crisis! oh well its done now!

This thread makes me itch for a new cab now. I've got an ABM 8x10, and it's just not doing it for me at the moment. Having played my head through mine and then Nash's old marshall cab - his was way better!

He's trying to convince me to get a berg 610 now ;p

Argh!