Why become a member? ×

Have you dabbled with MIDI?

Kiwi

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='14761' date='Jun 9 2007, 07:33 PM']I was thinking it would be kind of nice to set up a discussion on using MIDI for all those were interested. Thats kind of why I was testing the water. :)[/quote]

good idea. I'm happy to add anything if i can - i'm also well up for learning more. MIDI is a difficult concept to get your head around to start off with but it's worth persevering with as it's a useful tool when recording (never used it live) and once you get over the first hurdle it gets easy quite quickly.
max

• 2 weeks later...

I use midi a lot, I used to write demo’s for Yamaha sound modules and keyboards etc. You do some amazing things and create some incredible sounds once you get into the programming side of things. Midi it’s self is pretty simple it’s the incompatibility of drivers and software that causes the hassle.

CK....

I Have posted this link here somewhere before....

[url="http://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to_get_started_with_midi.html"]http://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to_get_started_with_midi.html[/url]

Some pretty useful stuff going down on this site...

I do a lot of Library Music from my home system....
So i could bore you shitless with this stuff...

Need any help Pm me..

I've used it for drum programming and keyboard parts on very rough demos on Cubase though that was about seven years ago and also for songwriting, whilst commuting, on a QY70 portable sequencer, sequencing bass, drums and keys. I've gradually moved away from it as my demos have become more and more stripped back, to often just the bass and vocal, and then it's up to the band how they fill the gaps.

Alex

[quote name='lowdown' post='21154' date='Jun 21 2007, 12:39 AM']Need any help Pm me..[/quote]

Thanks Gary, I think I can cope with the basics after the hellishly steep learning curve with pro tools so far. Haven't looked at synching issues yet - don't anticipate needing to do that for a while at least.

But others must have questions, knowledge and experience to share too?

Besides playing bass I also have a little setup which I'm starting to take to gigs with me. Basically a Yamaha stage piano and a laptop with a Korg K25 MIDI controller. I've got an external sound card to take the strain off my laptops processor... can get a little flustered whilst running the M1 synth program for the K25. Also as a safegaurd against any soundguys that fancy sending phantom power to my laptops line-out...

It aint the fanciest of setups but it makes for an interesting change to some of our songs - plus it means I can trigger the samples we use myself, a far better alternative than trusting the drummer to do it!

Edited by dirtystatic

I use MIDI for programming drums in Cubase, and I also find Sibelius' "export as MIDI" function invaluable- I can write a score in Sibelius then just export it into Cubase and patch it into VST instruments for instant orchestral goodness.

I'm also looking at getting a MIDI controlled rig at some point- I have a Boss VF1 and would like to add a Pod at some point, both of which can be controlled in quite a lot of detail via MIDI. Ultimately I would love a bass with a pitch to MIDI convertor and a synth rack of some description as well, but that's waaaaaaaaaaay away, and entirely theoretical.

Edited by velvetkevorkian

• 4 weeks later...

I've mucked about with MIDI for as long as i can remember - although that certainly doesn't make me an expert :)

Currently use it for knocking up drum parts on home demos, and I'm also doing some keyboard playing on a bunch of acoustic stuff my singer and I are working on, so I'm having to remember how it all works!! Used to use it heavily when I did a bit of engineering. I spent countless hours becoming a zen master of Akai samplers... about 12 months before the onslaught of VST instruments rendered it a totally obsolete skill!

An old band of mine used a whole bunch of synths and samples live, had a Korg M1 keyboard and a Fostex hard-disc multitracker to run it all off, and our poor drummer heard nothing but the worlds loudest metronome in his monitor for 2 years!

I've often had daydreams of a mega MIDI controlled bass rig. Not because I need one, but just think of all the flashing lights I could have in my rack!!!