Why become a member? ×

Drilling a hole in acoustic instruments

R,5,R,5...

Ahoy-hoy

I have a nice little tenor ukulele that I'd like to hang round my neck to facilitate the frantic strumming one often associates with said instrument. To that end I need to drill a hole in the bottom of it. The two sides join right at the bottom; somewhat like this:

But without the binding. Now my question is -- is it better to drill right on the joint or beside it? I've often heard that hide glue cures to become harder than wood, so perhaps the joint is the best place, but I'm afraid of splintering. What say you? Anyone have any experience with this?

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='126691' date='Jan 24 2008, 09:48 AM']No. But you will need to screw through the side and into something as the sides themselves wont be strong enough. Makes sense to fix to some wood behind the sides that is already there.[/quote]

Hmmm that doesn't sound too diy to me, I was rather hoping to be able to do it myself, but I can see your point.

[quote name='R,5,R,5...' post='126700' date='Jan 24 2008, 09:57 AM'][quote name='bass_ferret' post='126691' date='Jan 24 2008, 09:48 AM']
No. But you will need to screw through the side and into something as the sides themselves wont be strong enough. Makes sense to fix to some wood behind the sides that is already there.[/quote]

Hmmm that doesn't sound too diy to me, I was rather hoping to be able to do it myself, but I can see your point.
[/quote]

Drill hole through body, take strings off, reach into body holding offcut bit of wood, screw strap peg through body into scrap bit of wood. You should only need a little piece, a couple of cms a side should do it just to spread the load.