Why become a member? ×

musicman advice

john_the_bass

what's your view on the following? I read in the FAQs section on the musicman website that all adjustments to string height on musicman basses can (and presumably should) be made with the truss rod - basically to raise and lower the height of the fingerboard. No mention was made of adjusting the saddle height if you've set the relief correctly.
The other thing i read advocated the use of lemon oil to clean maple fretboards. I'd always heard contrary to this, but am I right thinking that was because the lemon oil softens the lacquer on an ordinary maple board but musicman necks are unlacquered?

Just curious

[quote name='Mr Cougar' post='12182' date='Jun 4 2007, 11:24 PM']I rue the day when I would tweak the truss rod on my Stinger everytime I would want to make a minor adjustment to the string height.[/quote]

It's a lot easier to give the wheel half a turn, than altering four saddles.
(especially if you've marked the wheel's starting point)

:)

Edited by 2pods

2 Pods makes a good point (especially about marking the starting point) but I would point out the following:

1. I have a 79 and a 93 Stingray and as such they don't have wheels.

2. I still think that you are better off making minor adjustments from the saddles than constantly altering the stress on the neck, I know modern truss rods and necks are very robust but part of me still feels you are playing with fire if you arse around too much

------------------------------------
Mr Cougar - hates the cracking sound of an ill considered truss rod adjustment

For the unfinished (gunstock oil) neck I use the Warwick wax to keep it well sealed and minty fresh. AFAIK this should be ok as it's a 'natural' colour - it certainly aint done any harm to mine.
+1 on the damp cloth on the maple board.
+1 on infrequent conditioning with Dunlop Lemon oil on the rosewood or pau ferro board.