Why become a member? ×

Single Cut Basses

gilmour

Hiya,
The main sellers out there at the moment are Fodera, Shuker & Sei. There is another US custom builder who makes these, but I can't remember who it is....

I don't own one myself, but just out of curiosity - do these instruments balance well? (it's a bass design that has grown on me over the last year or so - particularly like Tom Kennedy's Fodera 5).

Over to the Dood & 7 String for this one?

Cheers,
iamthewalrus.

Spear do an "off-the-shelf" [url="http://www.spearguitar.com/product/pro_2/S-p/s-2e.asp"]single cut[/url]

I tried one of these at Music Live 2007 and it's not at all bad for the price. I found the body a little too chunky for my liking but I still haven't found a single cut I'm comfortable playing no matter how cool it looks...

[quote name='gilmour' post='126940' date='Jan 24 2008, 02:41 PM']I really like the look of single cut basses (I know not everyone will agree with me)
I'd really like to try some out, but I don;t know whomakes them other than shuker?
Are they a custom build job only?[/quote]
[quote name='iamthewalrus' post='126950' date='Jan 24 2008, 02:54 PM']I don't own one myself, but just out of curiosity - do these instruments balance well? (it's a bass design that has grown on me over the last year or so - particularly like Tom Kennedy's Fodera 5).
Over to the Dood & 7 String for this one?
Cheers,
iamthewalrus.[/quote]

Well in case it hasn't been seen a few times already, here is Doodle:-

I think most of the obvious Luthiers have been mentioned already (in the UK) - I think most will entertain the idea anyway, just a case of seeing what they will charge. Probably best to go with someone with a design you like and can tweak maybe?

Do they balance well? Any bass has the potential to not balance well! My Shuker 7 string has a large headstock and 7 keys to contend with.. and it balances extremely well. I am very impressed. You *could* in someways call the Gibson Thunderbird a single cut. We all know the unfortunate neck dive situation with those!

I really do like Singlecuts. Some people really do have a marmite reaction to them.. but hey.. its only opinion. The fact is though, they are every bit as good as their doublecut counterparts... and every bit as bad as too ;o)

P.s. - Doodle will be at the bass bash.

Ya know, I'm not sure! but my singlecut is lighter than some 5 stringers I have played, thats for sure!! To be honest, unless you have asked specifically for a rather large chunk of wood.. that thin string that makes up the upper horn part really isn't adding much to the weight of the bass at all.

I'll tell you what was heavy... I owned a Bill Dickens signature Conklin 7 string, (I think thats what Finbar owns, but mine was red) and mine was a weighty example! Though I had tried another GTBD7 and it didnt give me such grief!

Oh.. I also have *those* back issues!

Yeah, the GTBD-7 is pretty weighty, but when I took it to Jon last, he said the bolt on GT-7 he had in (7string's, I think) was actually even heavier!

To contribute with some relevance, I think singlecuts are less good looking than doublecuts, whether that is an boutique 'coffee table' bass, or just a Les Paul guitar. But saying that, there are always some guitars/basses 'uglier' than others. So it is just personal preference, just as some people wouldn't dream of touching a green bass, for example.

I don't like the massive top horn that the Conklin has though, as much as it is a signature Conklin trait.

Probably was my GT7 (John de-fretted and made a ramp for it). It's extremely heavy and I resorted to a Comfort Strapp (yup, two p's!!) to be able to play it standing up for more than 10 minutes !!

I had the bathroom scales handy and the bass clocks in at 6.4kg or just over 14lbs or just over a 1 stone. First time I've ever weighed it. Now I'm not surprised I needed a neoprene strap :)

Just weighed my Sei 7 "Jezebel" as well. That weighs just 4.5kg or just under 10lbs, positively size 0 in comparison to the Conklin !!

Back to the question though:

I've played a couple of singlecuts and I didn't notice any weight or balance problems. Never even thought about it until now, that's how much I didn't notice :huh:

From what I gather, it's more important where the fulcrum, or pivot point is in relation to the neck and body. Get that balance point wrong and you end up with serious neck dive (or completely the opposite of course !!). Both my Conklin and Sei have a long top horn in common, this puts the fulcrum further up the neck and this decides that they balance well. Unfortunately, the Conklin may balance well, but it's still bloomin' heavy ;)

Any of the makers mentioned here will no doubt have sorted this design problem before offering their basses for sale, so I wouldn't worry unduly !! Just get on the phone or 'net and go bass shopping ;)

Edited by 7string

Yup, I've seen one of those in the flesh. It was well over £5,000 (may even have been £6,000).

Unfortunately, it burst the Fodera bubble a bit for me as it wasn't as marvellously made as I thought it was going to be. But, hey, what do I know. It was sold in just a week or so :)

[quote name='gilmour' post='126940' date='Jan 24 2008, 02:41 PM']I really like the look of single cut basses (I know not everyone will agree with me)

I'd really like to try some out, but I don;t know whomakes them other than shuker?[/quote]

Gibson?

[url="http://chrislarkinguitars.com/"]Chris Larkin[/url] (Ireland) does them to custom order, too - see the "SC" models in his [url="http://chrislarkinguitars.com/goibasses.htm"]gallery[/url], and a review [url="http://www.doctorbass.net/en/producto.asp?id=1000170614"]here[/url].

(I don't have any of Chris's instruments or any connection, so if it seems like I'm pimping his stuff, it's mostly because geography puts him high on the list of luthiers I would consider for a custom job.)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='127568' date='Jan 25 2008, 09:39 AM']I had an NS Bolin 5 string and it was beautifully light and balanced... just didn't get the spare string :)

Now if I could find a 4 string :huh:[/quote]

OOOOOOO !! Those NS Bolins really are fantastic basses ;)

I think they didn't have the strap button behind the top horn, but instead had an extension which spun out from behind the body. The strap then attached onto there, putting the balance point further towards the headstock.

Edited by 7string

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone out there is intrested in buying a Benavante SCD, alder body, campfor burl top, matching headstock, without a single scratch.. Then you can write me an e-mail.. [email protected]. Why it has to go ? I have to many basses and the Benavente is just standing there (she's too beautifull to take here out) Price in euro : 2250euro

greetings from Belgium, Dave