Why become a member? ×

Distortion

cris the man

i got an LBM pedal for my band as i wanted a fuzzy distortion tone for my bass
i was recommended to get it as it doesnt sap out all the bass

however , while playing with my band , it didn't feel as bassy

is there anyway or any pedals which add more bass? i was thinking about a octave pedal but not sure to be honnest
it might be how i dont often use it and because being the only one with a clean tone in my band , not hearing that distinctive tone may give me that unbasslike feeling

any ideas?
ta

You'd be better identifying a pedal that either is designed for bass or operates in such a fashion that bass loss is minimised. If you have a deeper delve in to the effects forum you'll find a few threads on recommended distortions for bass.

Using an octave isn't really going to help your cause neither is an EQ pedal.

[quote name='ahpook' post='127276' date='Jan 24 2008, 08:30 PM']plus the one[/quote]

Get a blender and mix in some clean bass with the muff. Then you can also use other guitar fuzzboxes in the loop without losing your low end.

Barge Concepts VFB-2 or VFB1-Jr, Xcotic Blender, DHA Bob The Blender

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='127326' date='Jan 24 2008, 09:28 PM']Get a blender and mix in some clean bass with the muff. Then you can also use other guitar fuzzboxes in the loop without losing your low end.

Barge Concepts VFB-2 or VFB1-Jr, Xcotic Blender, DHA Bob The Blender[/quote]

what blender would you recommend?

[quote name='cris the man' post='128043' date='Jan 25 2008, 09:33 PM']what blender would you recommend?[/quote]
I recommend Dave Hall's bob the blender;
[url="http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/Products,%20Bob%20The%20Blender.html"]http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/Products,%20...%20Blender.html[/url]

[quote name='BassManKev' post='128862' date='Jan 27 2008, 08:10 PM']tom found that that didnt work too well with some of his effects on his board, so might not be the most flexible...

this mini vfb barge concepts are bringing out seems interesting[/quote]

Bob was good when I used it with just a couple of dirt pedals. It's when I put an NS-2 and LS-2 with lots of blending and routing, loads of buffers etc, it just didn't like it and started to squeal.

I wouldn't bother with a blender between the cost of that and the money the LBM is worth you can get a decent distortion pedal.

Blending in opinion while adding bass back in does weaken the effect I use to use my blend pedal with a fuzz and blending it made it sound like an overdrive with a fuzzy characteristic and then I'd switch to not blended and it would be rip your face off distortion, same setting same pedal just switching between blend and not and completely changed my sound.

Good distortions for cutting a mix depending on the style and how heavy you want to be would be

Catalinbread Hyperpak - Cuts like a kinife through butter
Tonefactor/Mojo Hand Mule - Cuts like a knife as well but doesn't get as clean as the hyper but can get dirtier (Roady will be selling his soon if your after one)
Tech 21 XXL Bass - Heavy distortion lots of sounds

Hope this helps

[quote name='BassManKev' post='127153' date='Jan 24 2008, 06:16 PM']or buy a distortion with a blend

no matter what people tell you, the boss odb-3 can be an excellent pedal if used right[/quote]

I got an odb-3. It has taken me ages to get a good sound out of it but it is a good sound! :) I think people give up on this pedal too quickly.

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='129198' date='Jan 28 2008, 12:16 PM']+1

But the distortion side has a mid scoop to it which may mean it will get lost in the mix[/quote]

Suppose it depends how you have the EQ set, but then distorted bass always seems to go AWOL
in the mix, solution usually to boost the level slightly when using it.

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='129138' date='Jan 28 2008, 10:46 AM']Catalinbread Hyperpak - Cuts like a kinife through butter
[b]Tonefactor/Mojo Hand Mule - Cuts like a knife as well but doesn't get as clean as the hyper but can get dirtier (Roady will be selling his soon if your after one)[/b]
Tech 21 XXL Bass - Heavy distortion lots of sounds

Hope this helps[/quote]

Yep, just shoot me a pm :)

Great pedal, just not for me at the moment.

[quote name='Adee' post='129235' date='Jan 28 2008, 01:06 PM']Suppose it depends how you have the EQ set, but then distorted bass always seems to go AWOL
in the mix, solution usually to boost the level slightly when using it.[/quote]

The distortion on the M-80 is completely separate from the EQ thats why if you turn the gain all the way down you can use it as a 2 channel preamp as the dist channel with the gain off is scooped and really nice for slap.

[quote name='Adee' post='129235' date='Jan 28 2008, 01:06 PM']Suppose it depends how you have the EQ set, but then distorted bass always seems to go AWOL
in the mix, solution usually to boost the level slightly when using it.[/quote]

my halfstacks great , i broke my old combo amp because my bass is far too powerful , totally blew the cones

at band practise , i literally had the cab almost at full blast , and the cones looked ike they were dieing...
theese are alluminium cones too

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='129243' date='Jan 28 2008, 01:14 PM']The distortion on the M-80 is completely separate from the EQ thats why if you turn the gain all the way down you can use it as a 2 channel preamp as the dist channel with the gain off is scooped and really nice for slap.[/quote]

what do you mean by that, the eq shapes the sound of the distortion, and shapes the sound of the clean effect if the colour switch is on

if the colour switch is on, and the gain is set to zero, both channels sound identical, providing the volume levels are the same

Edited by BassManKev

Sans amp BDI21 is a beauty-as is the Behringer copy-@ 1/8th the price!!
The Boss ODB-3 is OK if U like it & IT CAN add more bass due to its EQ section-LOTSA BASS!!!!!!!!! Blend is the key. I find the Green Russian Big Muff works fine for me & I lose minimal-if any - bottom end, when adjusted right!