Why become a member? ×

Multicomp Problem?

nottswarwick

Hi

Just got my spanking new multicomp (EBS) pedal from the Bass Centre.

However, I think I might unfortunately have a faulty one. Basically, on loud notes and finger pops I get a buzzing as if the input is overloading or something. I have set it to "active" mode, but even in this mode when I "dig in" or slap I get this buzzing distortion on the peaks.

I am using a Stinrgray 5 and an GandL 2500. Admittedly these are fairly high output basses, but this has never been a problem with either bass with any other effects unit/amp/desk/rack unit etc. FYI, this is with basses on full volume and EQ set "flat". It happens in all 3 compression modes, irrespective of the knob setting, so I am pretty sure it cannot be right?

I wonder anyone could suggest where I might be going wrong (I dont think I am, to be honest)? I am using it in line with the bass direct into the multicomp. Mains and battery - same on both

If they all do this, then the unit is clearly "not for me", but I suspect that if they all do this then they would not sell many and it would not achieve the reviews it does, as it is basically unusable.

So, anyone who uses one got any input for me. I have emailed Nick at the BC to get it sorted, so it is not a problem as it is new and under warranty, but I thought I would ask on here too.

Cheers

Chris

Hey Chris.. sounds like something is a bit wonky! I have EMG pups and EQ and it only distorts on my multi' when I dig in, in passive mode.. yeh, I'd get it swapped out mate.

Nicks a good chap.. spoke to him just t'other day.. they sort ya out!

Chris

Have you tried adjusting the sensitivity trimpots inside the pedal to suit your basses (there's two - one for high one for low)? They're set at halfway as default but you could try winding them anticlockwise a touch to see if that helped.

cheers

Steve

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='127434' date='Jan 24 2008, 11:25 PM']thanks steve. I thought the trim pots are for the threshold of the multiband compressin mode - this is what the manual says in any case.

It happens in all 3 modes, and regardless of the compression I dial in....[/quote]

Ah bollox, I've not got a manual and rather hoped they were for the input gain. Oh well, if it's not the usual suspects of cables, batteries or bass then back it should go. I never had any problems with mine such as you describe, but I was only using passive basses. Best of luck, it's really really annoying when you get something new only for it not to work as you'd hoped!

Steve

[quote name='Muppet' post='127441' date='Jan 24 2008, 11:32 PM']Ah bollox, I've not got a manual and rather hoped they were for the input gain. Oh well, if it's not the usual suspects of cables, batteries or bass then back it should go. I never had any problems with mine such as you describe, but I was only using passive basses. Best of luck, it's really really annoying when you get something new only for it not to work as you'd hoped!

Steve[/quote]

yep, it sure is.

Defo not cables, batteries or anything else. Bugger, will dig the jiffy bag out of the bin!

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='127444' date='Jan 24 2008, 11:34 PM']yep, it sure is.

Defo not cables, batteries or anything else. Bugger, will dig the jiffy bag out of the bin![/quote]

May not be this, but my multicomp will drive the front end of my amp pretty easilly if the gain is set much over 12 o' clock.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if you ever solved your problem, but I got a multicomp the other day with the same issue and solved it by turning the trimpots anticlockwise. They DO work for the other modes too, it's just the left/low one that affects normal/tubesim modes. They appear to work like an input gain control. Because the unit has a max of 5:1 compression, if you dig in really hard with a high output bass, it goes over the max headroom that the device can handle and produces distortion. Once you start fiddling with the trimpots you'll be amazed at how well you can fine tune your sound, I recommend every multicomp owner start fiddling with theirs. If you're not sure what you're doing and scared to mess with it, remember it's easy to set it back to normal!

Edited by dannybuoy

Correct. When I use unity gain I use it to refer to setting the output level of the pedal so that there is no cut or boost in volume when the effect is engaged or disengaged.

So, if I'm playing a passage from clean to distortion to clean, then the only thing that changes when I turn the distortion on is the tone, not the volume.