Why become a member? ×

Ageing white pickup covers

Grand Wazoo

I've bought as set of 2 split pickup covers for my P bass in white but they look too bloody whitey, how do I make them look aged? I don't like the cream DiMarzio type they are too creamy I just want them off white sort of thing.

Someone suggested to leave them soaking in cold tea all night, anyone got proof that this will actually work, or has other suggestions?

Thanks

Will tea work? Well there's only one way to find out. :)

I've just done a bit of ageing on a vintage white bass using tinted lacquer. I used it extremely sparingly (knowing when to stop is the secret) and because of that it came out very well. I'd be a tad reticent of spraying pup covers as it will invariable wear off at some point but if it is done lightly enough in the first place then you might not notice.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1111797' date='Feb 1 2011, 11:23 PM']I've bought as set of 2 split pickup covers for my P bass in white but they look too bloody whitey, how do I make them look aged? I don't like the cream DiMarzio type they are too creamy I just want them off white sort of thing.

Someone suggested to leave them soaking in cold tea all night, anyone got proof that this will actually work, or has other suggestions?

Thanks[/quote]

Woodstain?
Paint it on and then rub it off - seems to stain the plastic tubs I use when decorating...

[quote name='icastle' post='1111888' date='Feb 2 2011, 12:52 AM']Woodstain?
Paint it on and then rub it off - seems to stain the plastic tubs I use when decorating...[/quote]
I was thinking along these lines too... but I reckon you'd need to 1) key the surface of the plastic with very fine wire wool or a Scotchbrite pad & 2) put the stain on with a cloth & rub well in. Providing you used spirit-based stain it'd be possible to fade it/clean it off with turps. It'll still wear off, but ought to give a more subtle effect.

P.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1111851' date='Feb 2 2011, 12:02 AM']Will tea work? Well there's only one way to find out. :)[/quote]

It does work on some plastics, but needs to be hot. Another possibility is hot malt vinegar.

Edited by Jerry_B

[quote name='Johnston' post='1112304' date='Feb 2 2011, 01:08 PM']I've heard that as well and was going to try it (If I found someone with one) but I also read a lot of plastics have something in them so the UV doesn't affect them any more.[/quote]

They use UV inhibitors, but blast them enough and they should still discolour. The only downside might be if it makes them more brittle.

Thanks for the reply but these pickup covers are the wrong fugging size, they are a lot bigger than the original and wont fit in the scratchplate holes. Not only that, the width between screws is much wider so I am not about to bodge my bass just for two dodgy pickup covers. I'll send these back to the sod that sold them to me and I leave you with warning to others not to buy them

Don't buy any pickup cover from this man they are [b][size=3]fake[/size][/b] and probably from an Aria or Ibanez bass, certainly not Fender or Squier.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130294572290&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT[/url]

[size=5][b]THESE ARE NOT ORIGINAL SO DON'T GET CAUGHT LIKE I DID[/b][/size]

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1113239' date='Feb 2 2011, 11:27 PM']Thanks for the reply but these pickup covers are the wrong fugging size, they are a lot bigger than the original and wont fit in the scratchplate holes. Not only that, the width between screws is much wider so I am not about to bodge my bass just for two dodgy pickup covers. I'll send these back to the sod that sold them to me and I leave you with warning to others not to buy them

Don't buy any pickup cover from this man they are [b][size=3]fake[/size][/b] and probably from an Aria or Ibanez bass, certainly not Fender or Squier.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130294572290&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT[/url]

[size=5][b]THESE ARE NOT ORIGINAL SO DON'T GET CAUGHT LIKE I DID[/b][/size][/quote]

That's a real pain, but in all fairness, he's not claiming they are 'originals' and he's put some (presumably) accurate measurements in the description...

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1111797' date='Feb 1 2011, 11:23 PM']I've bought as set of 2 split pickup covers for my P bass in white but they look too bloody whitey, how do I make them look aged? I don't like the cream DiMarzio type they are too creamy I just want them off white sort of thing.

Thanks[/quote]

I have seen what a well known manufacturer does to age plastic parts! they put them in an oven a fan assisted one i think around 40-50°C don't know how long possibly a couple of weeks, i guess its oxidation of the surface that makes plastic go yellow you could probably do it with UV sun lamp too, but not too much as they will turn to dust! :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1113247' date='Feb 2 2011, 11:33 PM']That's a real pain, but in all fairness, he's not claiming they are 'originals' and he's put some (presumably) accurate measurements in the description...[/quote]

I bought the jazz pickup covers from him, they needed a bit of fine sanding particularly around the screw lugs and corner radii, but I got them in ok in the end and they looked fine. I'd get them again, it's the only place I've found that supplies aftermarket cream covers.

• 3 years later...

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1296602598' post='1111797']
I've bought as set of 2 split pickup covers for my P bass in white but they look too bloody whitey, how do I make them look aged? I don't like the cream DiMarzio type they are too creamy I just want them off white sort of thing.

Thanks
[/quote]

I've wanted my white pickguard to be off-white/yellowed/mint green for ages and tries the tea thing and it didn't work. Then whilst I was cooking it struck me (literally!), that turmeric stains things yellow.

So I took a scotch brite pad to the pickguard to take the shine off. Then mixed some turmeric into some water and submerged the pickguard. Less than 90 minutes later I had this! (See picture below)... It was more yellow/extreme than this at first so I rubbed it back a bit with some toothpaste until it was just lightly different. Just what I was after :-)