In Memoriam

27 replies to this topic

#1 Kiwi

Big, bouncy and now officially "dangerous".

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,603 posts
  • Interests:DIY dentishtry. Competitive throat clearing, road raging at Chinese drivers.

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:16 AM

Lefty Steve
Bass: Self built 5-string semi hollow headless, '79 Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, '86 Pangborn Warlord graphite, '93 Pedulla Pentabuzz, '09 Shuker Headless 6 MIDI (signed by Lee Sklar, Doug Wimbish and Billy Sheehan),'00 Spector NS5CR, '90 Status Series 1 5 string.
Backline: EBS Microbass, Future Impact, Zoom B3 into two Genz Benz Shuttle 6's and two fEARful F112 cabs, two Burman Pro4000HD 140w valve heads, Trace Elliot Hexavalve

Guitar: Alan Knight 'Hitmaker' tribute, Klein-berger replica with sustainer, Warmoth HSS Strat (signed by Nile Rodgers), Yamaha MSG Deluxe Mk 1, Yamaha MSG Deluxe Mk 2
Backline: Effectrode PC2A compressor, Empress Parametric Eq, Amptweaker Tight Rock, Joyo JF14 American Sound, Zoom G3X, Lexicon MPXG2 + R1 foot controller, Ibanez TSA5 x2 Burman Pro 501 50w combo and Fender Concert II (Rivera era)

Studio: Yamaha CS6R synth module, Axon AX100 pitch to MIDI, Burman GX3 preamp, Lexicon MPXG2 and MIDIman 16ch mixer, Ableton Live + soft synths

#2 Kiwi

• Administrators
  • 9,603 posts
  • Interests:DIY dentishtry. Competitive throat clearing, road raging at Chinese drivers.

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:17 AM

R,5,R,5
Bass: Self built 5-string semi hollow headless, '79 Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, '86 Pangborn Warlord graphite, '93 Pedulla Pentabuzz, '09 Shuker Headless 6 MIDI (signed by Lee Sklar, Doug Wimbish and Billy Sheehan),'00 Spector NS5CR, '90 Status Series 1 5 string.
Backline: EBS Microbass, Future Impact, Zoom B3 into two Genz Benz Shuttle 6's and two fEARful F112 cabs, two Burman Pro4000HD 140w valve heads, Trace Elliot Hexavalve

Guitar: Alan Knight 'Hitmaker' tribute, Klein-berger replica with sustainer, Warmoth HSS Strat (signed by Nile Rodgers), Yamaha MSG Deluxe Mk 1, Yamaha MSG Deluxe Mk 2
Backline: Effectrode PC2A compressor, Empress Parametric Eq, Amptweaker Tight Rock, Joyo JF14 American Sound, Zoom G3X, Lexicon MPXG2 + R1 foot controller, Ibanez TSA5 x2 Burman Pro 501 50w combo and Fender Concert II (Rivera era)

Studio: Yamaha CS6R synth module, Axon AX100 pitch to MIDI, Burman GX3 preamp, Lexicon MPXG2 and MIDIman 16ch mixer, Ableton Live + soft synths

#3 Kiwi

• Administrators
  • 9,603 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:19 AM

OldGit

#4 Kiwi

• Administrators
  • 9,603 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:21 PM

Fatboytoo

#5 Musky

Hyper elite mega member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:42 PM

tjkennelly

#6 icastle

Director of Torture

• Global Moderators
  • 11,319 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:10 PM

Bassection
BassChat Terms & Conditions ............... Forum Behaviour Guidelines ............... Rules & Guidelines for The Marketplace

Multitasking - the ability to screw up more than one thing at a time.

#7 BassTool

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:37 AM

OMG :( just read this poor guys last words before ending his life at 21 years young, it's on his website link. So sad :(
1998 Warwick Thumb NT with Hipshot drop D
1985 Westone Superheadless - fitted with Nordstrand 3B-5a preamp and custom made Wizard 'Gem' soapbar pups.
2010 Fender Jazz, sunburst, tort, EMG pickups, Babicz bridge, EMG TBC circuit with panpot, Hipshot drop D.
Peavey Cirrus Bubinga.
Hybrid Ibanez Blazer 1980 body fitted with a '77 Cimar Grabber copy de-fretted neck. Onboard EMG TBC preamp. All black with brass hardware.
Stagg EUB piano black finish.

......and all gathering dust.

http://www.thedustytools.com

#8 jezzaboy

Talentless numpty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts
  • Interests:Lava lamps

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:29 PM

Just read his web page myself. Heavy stuff and makes you think.

And sad as well.

#9 Bassman Steve

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Interests:Bass playing

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:26 PM

Isn't it just? I can imagine so many people he knew would be wishing he had spoken to them.
Fender US Precision 1966
Fender US Precision 1971
Fender US Precision 1973 - 1968 electrics - with Bass Doc tort plate
Fender US Precision 1975 Fretless
Fender Japan 1970 Precision RI (1) - with Bass Doc tort plate and Kent Armstrong Vintage P pick up
Fender Japan 1970 Precision RI (2) - with Bass Doc tort plate and Kent Armstrong Vintage P pick up
Fender Japan 1970 Precision RI (3) - with DiMarzio pick up
Fender Japan A/E Fretless
Fender Japan Precision Aerodyne (red) - Kent Armstrong Vintage P pick up + Fender US Jazz pick up
Fender Japan Precision Aerodyne (natural) - Kent Armstrong Vintage P pick up + Fender US Jazz pick up

Mesa Boogie Bass 400
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 600
Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout 15
Mesa Boogie Diesel 2x15
Mesa Boogie Subway 15 #1
Mesa Boogie Subway 15 #2 (Incoming)

#10 originalfunkbrother

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Interests:Eat, Sleep, Shower. Repeat.

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:22 PM

Good Lord. May he RIP. Nothing as tragic as a young life taken away.
Habib: "Is that a truncheon in your pocket or you are just pleased to see me?"
Goody: "Actually, its a Mars bar."

#11 tayste_2000

Needs to get out more

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,339 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:22 PM

bassbluestew

#12 UglyDog

50 Shades of Git

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • Interests:Draggin' my butt along yr carpet

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:34 AM

God, what happened to Stew?
I ain't never caught a rabbit and I ain't no friend of Elvis'.

#13 tayste_2000

Needs to get out more

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,339 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:42 AM

Afraid I don't know the specifics but about a month ago there were lots of messages on his FB wall, it was very sudden though :(

#14 Dudgeman

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Interests:Bass, MTB and snowboarding, Muse, Motorbikes

Posted 12 November 2014 - 12:02 AM

I just read basssection piece. I work for a mental health organisation in Oxfordshire called Restore and am also a bass player. Sadly a lot of his comments ring true but the one thing to take from this is that there are organisations out there who can help. I wish I had known him or had the chance to speak to him. Talking to people..family, GP's and organisations like the Samaritans or Restore can help keep you safe and help you to work through these situations. They can not promise to cure or disuade but they can help and often do. The symptoms he described are more common place than many think and it is time the mental health stigma was torn to pieces. Organisations like Restore and Mind have people who understand and can genuinely offer empathy and help through various techniques and methods. We aim to rebuild self esteem and confidence and get people well enough to even return to work. We never judge people and aim to help no matter what the situation or history.
It is often the case that people with strong suicidal tendencies can overcome them given time and help and often our job is just to keep people safe through potential dates or triggers. I have seen this first hand and seen people overcome huge personal problems ... but you have to talk...if you think your gp is not listening try another gp...seek out organisations like ours..use Mind ...but let people know. My heart goes out to his family and friends and I really hope that what he wrote makes sense to those that read it. I will be passing it on to all who work at Restore so that hopefully in the future we will be even better equipped to help others. Rest in peace. X

#15 MiltyG565

Low end offender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
  • Interests:Music, cars, hockey, life.

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:15 AM

View Posttayste_2000, on 15 October 2014 - 11:42 AM, said:

Afraid I don't know the specifics but about a month ago there were lots of messages on his FB wall, it was very sudden though :(

My goodness, I think I might have been talking to one of his mates recently. He was obviously quite upset about things. Can't be sure it's the same guy, but from the same area, and it looks like he has a similar rig. Very sad stuff :(
Click here to see my feedback.

#16 lojo

Hyper elite mega member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts
  • Interests:Playing Covers at Charity Gigs on a Fender for no fee

Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:45 AM

I've also just read the bass section words, and for someone to write and explain things so clearly and logically they must have had so much to offer , really sad.

#17 Grand Wazoo

Don' ask me, ask Dave!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • Interests:anything

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:15 AM

http://basschat.co.u...ohnbassdoherty/

I am sad to inform you all that I have just heard from a friend that a member of this forum from Donegal in Ireland has passed away last Sunday victim of the big C.

John was a member of this forum and also the Dingwall one http://basschat.co.u...ohnbassdoherty/

Sheldon (Dingwall) recently built and shipped a new bass to John but he was too sick and only able to play if for a few days, he received it on the Monday and sadly he died the following Sunday.

R. I. P. John Doherty

https://www.facebook...y.52493?fref=ts
[center]"They shall come out against you one way, and flee before you seven ways...."

#18 TheGreek

..Seeking enlightenment..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:43 PM

Though I didn't know John I send my sincerest condolences to his family and all those who knew him.

I value everybody's opinion...especially when it's the same as mine

For Sale

Effects Clearout - http://basschat.co.u...fects-clearout/

http://basschat.co.u...rings-unopened/

http://basschat.co.u...ass-controller/

See what others have to say: http://basschat.co.u...k-for-thegreek/

#19 Roland Rock

Insufferable Ballache

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,063 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:40 AM

Ben aka Colgraff passed away in April:

http://basschat.co.u...22503-colgraff/

Just learned this as his father is selling his bass. Huge condolences to his wife and kids
Fingers>Wood&Tronics>Glockenklang>Barefaced>Ears

#20 gary mac

Forum Addict

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,965 posts
  • Interests:Bass and more bass.
    Thinking about going fishing.
    Koi keeping.

Posted 29 August 2016 - 04:46 PM

Yes, very sad.

#21 HazBeen

Searching for the brown note since 1989

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:17 PM

RIP
Basses:
2001 Bogart Blackstone 5
2006 Sandberg VM5
1994 Bogart Blackstone 4
1993 Bogart Blackstone 4

Amps/Cabs:
Mesa Venture 600
Tecamp L212 (x2)
and more...

FX and cables:
Temple Audio, Voodoolab, Keeley, COG, MXR, Darkglass, Evidence Audio, Mogami, TC Electronic, Bearfoot +++

Bass/Vocals for B.O.T. - originals in power trio configuration

My feedback on Basschat: HazBeen

#22 stingrayPete1977

Flouncer.

• Members
  • 12,235 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 07:39 PM

Oh man that's very sad, I liked colgraff on here :(
IMO

DB,EUB,EB,AMPS.

#23 charic

Horklown Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • 9,108 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 11:41 AM

:( RIP Colgraff

The fretboard is your playground

No Fingering Or Slapping Allowed!

BC T&C's

Forum Behaviour Guidelines

#24 silverfoxnik

"Waiting for the gift of sound & vision.."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,769 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 10:31 PM

View PoststingrayPete1977, on 01 September 2016 - 07:39 PM, said:

Oh man that's very sad, I liked colgraff on here :(

Yep, me too!

RIP :(
So many basses, so little time...

My Feedback

www.replaysounds.co.uk

#25 Twigman

SLAG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 06:14 AM

OMG

I met Colgraff in early March just before our USA tour.
He was a very pleasant chap.
I was aware he had some health issues but he seemed to be coping fine.
And he was still young
Sad

RIP
http://www.last.fm/m...vers+and+Giants listen to us on Last.fm
http://www.discogs.c...vers+And+Giants a listing of most of our record releases and our personnel and links to other projects we've been involved in
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sad-Lovers-Giants/104860292879894?bookmark_t=page Our Facebook page

#26 upside downer

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:40 PM

That's awful news. RIP Colgraff.

#27 BassTractor

English peaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,615 posts
  • Interests:Nearly everything except music, arts, science, food, sex, sleep, politics etc.

Posted 13 November 2016 - 09:59 PM

OMG. That was very sad news. He seemed to be such a great bloke, and I felt he was a real credit to BassChat.
I liked him a lot and am saddened by this.
"That would look good on your CV; not so good on mine."
Robert May

#28 Kevin Dean

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Interests:Shuker JJB 26, Shuker Black 36" ,Status necked Jazz. Ashdown ABM 1000 .Ahsdown ABM 400 RH . JJB 500. 2 x Ashdown RMT 12" with Sica drivers .

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:09 PM

RIP , that was a very sad thing to read , I always try my best to give people time to talk , good people gave me time once .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users