Why become a member? ×

Neck Size

elliotminor

I went into a vintage guitar shop the other day and compared a few Fender Jazz's and a few precisions.
Overall I found the Jazz neck easier to play, but I preferred the sound of a precision.
I know this is all old stuff, but considering this is a new forum I thought id revive some old threads.

So can you get precision's with jazz size neck's?
specifically what about this [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=713"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=713[/url]

I quote 'it has the very rare A neck type (same width as the jazz bass)'. does that mean the fret spacing is the same as a Jazz?
were there many of these basses made?

Just wondering as I have quite small hands, and although it doesn't really matter (I'm sure you have seen great bassists with small hands and bad ones with big hands and vice versa) I think it may be beneficial to get a bass with smaller fret spacing, particularly for some of our tracks.

Ed

Edited by elliotminor

Just a quite reply... yes mate, you can get P basses with skinny necks. I have a Fender with a Jazz neck, and a Fender with a P bass (A) neck. they are so very similar, honestly. My P bass, so you can have a search for more information, is a Fender CIJ 1970's reissue. The model number is PB70US-xx. I bought mine new from Ishibashi. My mate has a 72 P bass.. and we reckon they are very alike.. but his has 'mojo' ;o)

Somewhere I have some pics.. but gawd knows what I did with them. They are definitely on BassTalk!

[quote name='obbm' post='12217' date='Jun 5 2007, 12:02 AM']Also consider the Precision Special and the Lakland Duck Dunn. Both P Basses with jazz necks.[/quote]

I was just on the Lakland site! I really like the look of the Duck Dunn. It's something different aswell, ive heard good things about Lakland.

Thanks dood for the info, a friend of mine has a Japanese reissue P bass (can't remember the year, im gonna find out more the next time I see him) but that was another bass I liked. (it didn't have a Jazz sized neck, but I really did like it)

argh theres so many basses to chose between. I loved his reissue on its own, but it kind of got lost in the mix when the band kicked in. My ibanez doesnt sound so good on its own, but its really clear in the mix.

Thanks for the info on the deluxe, just been looking at a few of those.

How hard is it to get the Laklands? is it more or less impossible to find anywhere to try them before buying?

Edited by elliotminor

For the sort of stuff you play EM (and BTW my 15 year old still says she loves it) what about a MM Sterling? Got the grunt, looks sort of traditional and has the J type neck profile. I've got small hands and its the most comfortable neck I've ever played. The oil finish makes it a bit faster than a standard Fender neck.

Hi Ed
I wouldn't go on width alone. I have small hands but get on better with a wider neck. No idea why, I just prefer the width of the necks on Stingrays and Precisions to Jazzes and Sterlings. I have a MIA Jazz and can see why people say they're faster, but it will depend on what music you're playing and how much mobility you have in your wrists and fingers as much as the width of the neck.
Sorry if that didn't help much :)
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='13322' date='Jun 6 2007, 09:49 PM']Hi Ed
I wouldn't go on width alone. I have small hands but get on better with a wider neck. No idea why, I just prefer the width of the necks on Stingrays and Precisions to Jazzes and Sterlings. I have a MIA Jazz and can see why people say they're faster, but it will depend on what music you're playing and how much mobility you have in your wrists and fingers as much as the width of the neck.
Sorry if that didn't help much :)
Chris[/quote]

thanks! I have found though that I prefer more C shaped necks. Basically I'm really used to my cello, and I find I get pain in my thumb sometimes as my Ibanez has much less of a C shape to the neck (whatever you call that!).

I guess its just down to trying them out!

Thanks for all the info.

Ed

[quote name='elliotminor' post='12231' date='Jun 5 2007, 12:20 AM']I was just on the Lakland site! I really like the look of the Duck Dunn. It's something different aswell, ive heard good things about Lakland.

How hard is it to get the Laklands? is it more or less impossible to find anywhere to try them before buying?[/quote]

I've never bought any of my Laklands from a store so I don't know where you can try one apart from in London or at my place.

I am certain that the DD neck is the same size/profile as the Lakland Joe Osborn Jazz so if you can get to try one of those it'll be a godd indicator. I'm just loving this bass. It feels just right and sounds awesome although this one has the Dark Star I'm sure the standard Fralin pick-up version is equally as good, if not even more P-sounding.

I got mine on ebay from the USA. I don't think anyone stockes the DD in the UK. I found a good store in France that had them in stock also I believe that Thomann now do them, otherwise try the USA.

Edited by obbm