Why become a member? ×

Short Scales

Jean-Luc Pickguard

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='545249' date='Jul 20 2009, 01:01 PM']I keep thinking it'd be cool to put a japanese mustang neck on a firebird guitar body. Either get a luthier to make one or buy a warmoth firebird body unrouted & route it for bass, possibly setting the neck a bit further back than the stock route to make a perfect mini fenderbird.[/quote]
Now you're talking!!

Got an old Fender Mustang not too long ago; im not sure if i like it yet or not tbh;
This seems to be the right thread to piggyback the question of:- what would be the best strings to put on it so its got a similar tension to a 34 scale with 100's or 105's on it. Roto only make sets with a 95 E string- just doesnt feel right to me.

[quote name='Greene-Mann' post='545258' date='Jul 20 2009, 01:12 PM']Got an old Fender Mustang not too long ago; im not sure if i like it yet or not tbh;
This seems to be the right thread to piggyback the question of:- what would be the best strings to put on it so its got a similar tension to a 34 scale with 100's or 105's on it. Roto only make sets with a 95 E string- just doesnt feel right to me.[/quote]
I'd have a set of Thomastik Jazz Flats (JF324) on it before you could say E .106 but from the sound of it their low tension is not what you are looking for. If you're after roundwounds I haven't got the slightest idea. Sorry.

I own a 32'' scale Gibson EB3. In so many ways it is an awful, awful instrument.

It is really heavy.

In addition to being really heavy, it is also neck heavy, which leads to the headstock diving to the floor if you let go of the neck during a gig.

It has the set-neck thing, which for me is always a bit of an issue.

The pickup/tone options of 3 and 4 should be called 'mud' and 'absolute mud'. Also the back pickup is so quiet that you can't really use it with any of the other options without completely changing the EQ and volume on your amp.

The bridge is so badly designed. There is no distance between where the string ball is supposed to grip and the string saddle where the string is supposed to sit. This leads to the thread of the string running over the saddle, causing all manner of intonation problems! You can get round this a bit by using strings without Rotosound type felt thread (Like EB, D'addario etc) but the intonation is still an issue past the 12th fret.

That said I still love the bloody thing, and it sounds pretty much unique. Also, I have pretty small hands and thus love the way I can get around the frets without the extra stretching required on a P-bass.

Also, I tried someone's Musicmaster and thought it was pretty damn cool! Probably wouldn't take it over a Fender Jazz though!

[quote name='Wil' post='127864' date='Jan 25 2008, 05:44 PM']I'd love to have a mustang, but I doubt it would perform for punk - I'd need more tension.[/quote]

The guy from Fake Problems plays one and gets a pretty decent tone from the few songs I've heard.

I have the same problem though, I was all set to buy one of those shortscale Danos to save my back a bit, but I don't think it would lend itself to a rock n' roll band due to lack of string tension.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='553254' date='Jul 27 2009, 09:53 PM']Indeed!
I have a set of TI JF324 on my mustang. Absolutely wonderful combination. Shame they don't fit my musicmasters or dano longhorn as well :)[/quote]
Another Musicmaster fan here! :rolleyes:

Being small of hand and stubby of finger, I was delighted to find this wee beauty about 15 years ago. She's nowt fancy, just the standard slightly grubby white / black pickguard model, but I did replace the stock pup with an SD Hot Rails Strat Neck jobbie as recommended in [i]Bassist [/i]mag. I'm just getting back into playing after a break of a few years, and every time I pick her up I can't help but smile. I've just fitted a set of TI JF324's - while they don't really fit properly, all seems to be well so far.

Of course, having said that, I'll no doubt now die in a bizarre bass-string-related incident... :lol:

I'm also now on the lookout for a Mustang. I'm sure my (also small of hand and stubby of finger) friend who last played bass when she was at college *cough* years ago would love one for her birthday, but even if she doesn't, well, I'm sure I could find a home for it... :lol:

I've never tried a short scale (i dont think?) And I suppose that could be resolved by a trip to GuitarGuitar to see how it feels cos I really fancy this

[url="http://http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280378766714&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]Clickhere[/url]

BB

• 5 years later...