Why become a member? ×

EHX Black finger compressor

seriously thinking of outing my marshal ED-1 compressor and getting a better one namely the EHX black finger, after hearing some good reviews. anyone got one? if so what do you think of it and most importanly can you use the gain controls to get a mild overdrive out of it, if so i might out my Humphrey modded bad monkey as well and just have the one pedal...which would be nice :)

Edited by steve-norris

Not tried one myself, but they are meant to sound erally good, although not transparent. It adds a bit of valve warmth, not quite into overdrive territory though. Unfortunately the sounds on the website are only with guitar. Bongomania's review over at Talkbass says it's good but suffers from excessive noise. Plenty of people have reported no noise issues with it though, so it's likely that it's just sensitive to electrical and RF noise, depending on what other equipment and power lines are running nearby, explaining why different people get different results. Go try one out in a shop if you can! I know I want to...

I bought one from voodoosnake (i think) a month or so back; it's great! The noise occurs mainly when using a tweeter (which my mark bass amp has) but the vle filter sorts that out fine. You can squeeze a nice amount of crunch out of them, not distortion per se, but a more refined tubey grind, i'd call it :)

Fully 'worth it' =]