Why become a member? ×

DB bridge on Hohner B2A peg is loose

DaveMuadDib

Hi everyone,

I've had a Hohner B2A with the detunable DB bridge for a few months now, and I love this bass more than anything, but there's just one problem that I've noticed.

The tuning pegs at the base of the bridge are nice and stiff, which is good because I almost never have to tune it up. The problem lies with the mini peg on the top of the bridge, which adjusts which pitch the detuning lever takes the low E string down to when you flick it (Eb - Db in my case). When the lever is activated and it drops to Db, this little peg stays nice and firm, but when I flick it back up to Eb, the peg is now very easy to turn. Turning the peg makes no noticeable effect in this state until you flick the switch, in which case your drop tuning has been altered.

I haven't been embarrassed by it yet, but I'm in a band that switches from standard to drop tuning quite a bit, and it's a feature that I really like having on my bass. Can anyone help me out here? Is there something I can adjust, or does it need a proper servicing? The quick fix I've got going at the moment is a faint pencil line on the peg, so I can quickly spot if it is out of alignment, and get it at least approximately lined up without having to think too much about it. But I'd really like to sort out this one flaw on an otherwise perfect bass!