Why become a member? ×

EUB vs. Kala U-Bass. Opinions appreciated

7string

After going to the Moffat bassbash last week I'm in a bit of a quandry.

I want to add the upright sound to the bass armoury (can't afford both!) but there are pros and cons to both of these.

I've played upright before and I really love the upright sound and playing experience. The Kala U-Bass has that upright-ish sound and is extremely portable and a lot of fun to play.

However, playing U-Bass is the same as playing a bass guitar, so no new or different skills are required.

As always any opinions greatly appreciated!

If you want an upright sound,then really you need an upright. The Kala is cool and everything,but it's no substitute for a proper.
I'd also recommend a proper upright over an electric one. Alot of Electric Uprights don't have the feel or response of an Upright,and those that do are pretty expensive.

If your after that Upright Bass sound have you considered an Ashbory?? I am advised that using the strings for the Kala U-Bass on the Ashbory alleviate the "problems" with slow, sticky strings and using talc...

As you say, playing a Kala (or an Ashbory) require no addition skills - isn't this a bonus??

As you can see from my sig I have one for sale...

[quote name='7string' post='1126070' date='Feb 13 2011, 04:11 PM']However, playing U-Bass [color="#FF0000"][b]is the same as playing a bass guitar[/b][/color], so no new or different skills are required.[/quote]

Having bought Owen's U-Bass a week ago, I'm not entirely sure that I'd agree with that. :)

Depends whether you want the DB [i][b]sound [/b][/i]or the DB [i][b]experience[/b][/i]. The U-Bass gives you (quite a bit of) one but (absolutely) none of the other.

Right now, I haven't the time to learn DB, the room to store one, or the type of band to require one, so I bought the U-Bass.

Yeah, I missed out on Owen's bass. [b]Thanks a lot....[/b] :) Ha ha ha !

That's what I was trying to get at. The sound vs. the experience.

I used to have an upright, but now don't have the room. My wife has never really forgiven me for selling it as she loved the look of the DB. Proceeds went to the 9 string fund at the time.

Price wise a Stagg EUB and a U-Bass 2 are round about the same price, which makes the decision more difficult!

Edited by 7string

• 6 months later...

We do some Old Crow Medicine Show covers and the kala uBass running through a Boss AC-3 Acoustic sim does the job for me. It takes many hours of noodling to get used to the scale, high action and the pups, but it's great fun, the sound is pretty much spot on.

The best thing is, I take it everywhere! You can practice anywhere because it's virtually silent from 3 feet away. Oh, and it's almost weightless too.

I'm loving it.

Another good pedal for making a bass sound more open & acousticy is the Behringer ADI21 brown 'acoustic' preamp. I use it with both an NS-Design CR5M & Ashbory.

The Ashbory is better for portability (obviously) and sounds wonderful. The Pahoehoe (Kala) polyurethene strings are 100x better than the rubberjohnnie ones, but being so weenie and fretless intonation can a hit & miss. I'd swap my ashbory for a fretted Kala in an instant if I could.

The NS upright is a much more physical experience to play and looks great on stage, but its strength is that it offers something unique rather than trying to be a louder doublebass or a bigger bass guitar stood on its end. It can cut through in a two guitar band and the B string is the best B sounding string of any bass I've heard (at 42" scale length helps!)

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1353051' date='Aug 26 2011, 09:21 PM']I'd swap my ashbory for a fretted Kala in an instant if I could.[/quote]
I thought that until I tried the fretted U-Bass.
I found it harder to play than the Ashbory because you have to be very accurate with fretting to avoid buzzing and choked notes and it doesn't sound as nice imo.
I bought a stick on fret board for the Ashbory, but that had the same problem as the U-Bass - frets don't work well with such fat strings and such a short scale ime.

Aaaaagh!
Each to his own, but...
You've convinced me never to even [i]look[/i] at either a Kala or an Ashbory.
Give me either a 34"(+) Fretless Electric-preferably a Jazz- or an EUB of the NS persuasion.
I can't live without a degree of sustain. If I wanted that sort of sound, I'd head for some knackered flats and a sponge mute judiciously wedged under the strings near the bridge.

(Did my mileage vary just then?)

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1358995' date='Sep 1 2011, 05:00 PM']And I found this review of the 5 strings Kala solid body, loving the funkiness of it:[/quote]

Review? REVIEW!?!?

That's the most sick-making, w***-tastic advert I've seen in a month of Sundays ... and I'm a big fan of U-Bass.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1320076617' post='1421982']
I think it sounds more like a Fender with mutes under the strings than an upright.
[/quote]
+1, really doesn't sound at all like a double bass to my ears. There's no woodyness or growl, its all thump

Only a double bass will sound like a double bass - simple physics. I'm liking the fact that the Kala, in the right hands, could actually be quite a versatile little instrument and just offers a different way of playing. I quite like the thumpy tone, I do get bored of hearing bassists with tone that isn't very 'bass' - if you know what I mean. :)

I have a one of these now and the tone IME lies inbetween a DB with a pickup and an electric bass. But, it's got something going on tone wise that I prefer to say, my acoustic bass guitar. The whump and rootsy (sorry for the cliche terms) tone helps it fit several styles. You'd be surprised at the depth of sound that comes out of it. Those vids don't do it as much justice.

It's a buggar to keep in tune though as the strings stretch like a b*stard. I take it to gigs for acoustic sets and to open mics to give a different tone when I don't feel like dragging the doghouse around.

Edited by TPJ

I have a fretless Kala U-bass and it does the upright sound really nicely. I owuldn't agree that there are no new skills etc involved in playing one. The rubber strings do take quite a lot of adjustment, as does the short scale.

My only gripes about the U bass are that acoustically, it's redundant. You need an amp to hear yourself. Which leads to the second gripe, it's woefully underpowered in the piezo and even through an amp you have to crank it to hear yourself. Tuning is also a pain.

[quote name='Burg' timestamp='1320137114' post='1422640']My only gripes about the U bass are that acoustically, it's redundant. You need an amp to hear yourself.[/quote]
+1, although it's ok for sitting in the front room noodling and working out songs.

[quote name='Burg' timestamp='1320137114' post='1422640']...Which leads to the second gripe, it's woefully underpowered in the piezo and even through an amp you have to crank it to hear yourself.[/quote]
I run it though a Sadowsky pre/DI with the highs off and a little bass to round it out a bit. I think the pre act as a good buffer for the piezo.

[quote name='Burg' timestamp='1320137114' post='1422640']...Tuning is also a pain.[/quote]
+1

Still a worth while investment though :)

Edited by TPJ