Why become a member? ×

Limiter/Enhancer with Active Bass?

DaveMuadDib

I've just taken the plunge and ordered a Behringer Limiter/Enhancer from eBay for general compressing/peak-smoothing purposes. At £15 including delivery, I'm not going to lose much sleep over it now, but to anyone who has used such a pedal...

Seeing as I have an Active Bass (with a switch that makes it passive) was there really any point in me buying this thing? I've never owned such a pedal before, let alone any type of compressor, though I have played about on them before. Will this pedal improve my sound, or are they primarily designed to make passive basses sound active?

A limiter/enhancer won't make a bass sound active. It's designed to smooth out unwanted peaks in your sound and prevents any nasty spikes in the sound. They have even more of a place with active basses where it quite easy to dial in extreme amounts of bass and treble.

Used sparingly, a limiter can make a huge difference to your sound.

Thanks everyone! See, the main problem is that I'm not really sure what the difference is between a compressor/sustainer and limiter/enhancer. I use a pick, and sometimes I go a little bit crazy in a live situation, or if I'm playing something intricate, I can only semi-pluck some of the notes. Will this pedal help balance that out a bit?

A limiter is a compressor with the compression ratio set to 1:infinity.

The limiter/enhancers you can buy let you bring the ratio down a bit, but it's still very much a hard compression ratio. These pedals are really good if your dynamics are all over the place, or, if you want a very consistent level. The "enhance" circuit could help your passive sound a bit active, but that's really not the point of these pedals. The reason I like them is that you can set the threshold, and the ratio.

A compressor/sustainer will generally have less of a hard ratio. That's about all I can say (probably should have kept my mouth shut)

The most important point IMHO when deciding what kind of compressor to buy is that the limiter/enhancer pedals (boss+behringer) give you more control over the compression taking place.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='129936' date='Jan 29 2008, 12:31 PM']A limiter is a compressor with the compression ratio set to 1:infinity.

The limiter/enhancers you can buy let you bring the ratio down a bit, but it's still very much a hard compression ratio. These pedals are really good if your dynamics are all over the place, or, if you want a very consistent level. The "enhance" circuit could help your passive sound a bit active, but that's really not the point of these pedals. The reason I like them is that you can set the threshold, and the ratio.

A compressor/sustainer will generally have less of a hard ratio. That's about all I can say (probably should have kept my mouth shut)

The most important point IMHO when deciding what kind of compressor to buy is that the limiter/enhancer pedals (boss+behringer) give you more control over the compression taking place.[/quote]

Thank you very much, that's made it a lot clearer! To be quite honest, I think I would actually quite like the hard ratio and controlability of a Limiter/Enhancer. I'll see how I get on with my Behringer anyway, if I find it strangles my playing too much, I'll just bang it on ebay or bin it or something.

The article ped linked to was very handy too, thanks!

[quote name='Dave_MuadDib' post='129929' date='Jan 29 2008, 12:22 PM']... I use a pick, and sometimes I go a little bit crazy in a live situation... Will this pedal help balance that out a bit?[/quote]
Yes. I got mine for this very reason. I'm a fingerer but when I get carried away I'll slap, pop and do like flamenco fingernail strums (don't know the name for this technique) - originally got it coz when I put my GT6 through the fx loop I've no longer got any limiting front end for when I take my fits, but now I've gone back to playing with the GT6 before the amp again so have comp/lim off that. A smidge of BLE100's "Enhance" is good in any situation (I use it at home to fatten up the sound with out adding extra volume) but it can add hiss tho.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='130722' date='Jan 30 2008, 03:10 PM']Yes. I got mine for this very reason. I'm a fingerer but when I get carried away I'll slap, pop and do like flamenco fingernail strums (don't know the name for this technique) - originally got it coz when I put my GT6 through the fx loop I've no longer got any limiting front end for when I take my fits, but now I've gone back to playing with the GT6 before the amp again so have comp/lim off that. A smidge of BLE100's "Enhance" is good in any situation (I use it at home to fatten up the sound with out adding extra volume) but it can add hiss tho.[/quote]

Just got the pedal today and I really think it's excellent! It sounds like it's worked well for you, so I can't wait to gig with this thing! I really think it's going to make a positive difference to my sound, especially since I do have a tendency to "overpluck" in the heat of the moment. Cheers to you, and everyone for the advice on this, has been really informative! Extra props to you for being a Soundgarden fan (at least, I'm assuming you are!)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='130722' date='Jan 30 2008, 03:10 PM']Yes. I got mine for this very reason. [b]I'm a fingerer but when I get carried away I'll slap, pop and do like flamenco fingernail strums[/b] (don't know the name for this technique) - originally got it coz when I put my GT6 through the fx loop I've no longer got any limiting front end for when I take my fits, but now I've gone back to playing with the GT6 before the amp again so have comp/lim off that. A smidge of BLE100's "Enhance" is good in any situation (I use it at home to fatten up the sound with out adding extra volume) but it can add hiss tho.[/quote]
i bet the missus loves that! :)

[quote name='bassbloke' post='129570' date='Jan 28 2008, 08:59 PM']A limiter/enhancer won't make a bass sound active. It's designed to smooth out unwanted peaks in your sound and prevents any nasty spikes in the sound. They have even more of a place with active basses where it quite easy to dial in extreme amounts of bass and treble.

Used sparingly, a limiter can make a huge difference to your sound.[/quote]

+1, on all points. It'll also buffer your signal so you'll suffer no treble roll off from capacitance in log cable runs.