Why become a member? ×

Sandberg

DaveDDF

In my search for a nice jazz, someone has mentioned sandberg as being a good option for me maybe? I play pretty full on metal, and the likes of Andy Sneap etc recommend them in the studio etc etc.

I was looking at a cali JM - seems to be a good option and I can get one for a VERY good price off a friend of mine.

Any advice / opinions off owners or ex owners is more than welcome!

Thanks

[quote name='DaveDDF' post='129822' date='Jan 29 2008, 10:06 AM']In my search for a nice jazz, someone has mentioned sandberg as being a good option for me maybe? I play pretty full on metal, and the likes of Andy Sneap etc recommend them in the studio etc etc.[/quote]

Bloke from The More I See whose name I cannot remember (Lee maybe?) is endorsed by Sandberg, and I know Sneap is mates with Gizz Butt and has recorded them, so might of heard of Sandberg via him.

Anyway, they are awesome, I love mine.

I use to own a sandberg, and have to say it was kinda of a mistake selling it off. the basses are made really well and have some cool design features.
the tone is a little dull to say the least, but its just like an other lakland or sadowsky i've heard.
I'm surprized your not going after something really huge in the metal tone, ala EMG'ed Spectors or Warwicks.
I would recommend the warwick streamer lx jazzman, if you can put up with the neck size and weight. they have mm and jazz pickups fitted and generate some serious killer tones.
The ibanez ATK is a really hot bass and its dead cheap.
hope you find something you like!

Hi there,

i have a sandberg california custom 5 string love the bass. Tried loads of different basses when i bought

these were lakland, music man, warwick, fender.

the only one of those that i would have bought was a music man stingray but it was £500 more. No regrets plays much better than my G&L with such a wide variety of tone.

you won't regret" class="ipsImage" />

here's a pic

[quote name='Machines' post='129834' date='Jan 29 2008, 10:21 AM']I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about them ever.[/quote]

I have in the past.

I almost got one from the Bass Centre in 2005. It was a really nice looking Black sunburst Cali 5 string. £900 they wanted for it.
What put me off was the fact that there were gaps under the frets higher up the neck. quite big ones IMO and not something you expect to see on any bass, let along one costing this much. Plus, the neck was warped slightly.
It did sound good though and looked great, just a shame it had a neck that was so poorly made.
Unlike lowfer i ended up with a Lakland for a lot less.

I would still buy one but not without seeing ti first. It did have a very nice tone.

Edited by dave_bass5