Why become a member? ×

Amended rules for posting items below.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='1141584' date='Feb 25 2011, 06:45 PM']Ladies and Gents,

Please see new pinned topic at head of this forum before posting new items.

Bob[/quote]

Hi Bob,
I have fallen foul of these rules and withdrew my ad without any problems. Can you please clarify who the site owners are that you mention in the Pinned topic.

Thanks.

Marc

[quote name='voxpop' post='1141614' date='Feb 25 2011, 07:11 PM']Hi Bob,
I have fallen foul of these rules and withdrew my ad without any problems. Can you please clarify who the site owners are that you mention in the Pinned topic.

Thanks.

Marc[/quote]

Marc
I'll Pm you with them I'm not sure they would want everyone to know they are very modest folk.....

Bob.

How am I going to sell all the surplus spandex, glam rock suits, afghan coats, stack heel boots that I no longer fit/wear/have need for/have sense not to wear on stage for musical performances (choose appropriate category). They paid me to not donate it to the local charity shop :) There is also the full size tour bus sitting on my drive. Will my music studio and 34 acres be problematic :)

Edited by 3below

I think the only contentious item on the list is computers, recording for the use of. This is such a fundamental part of modern music (and when I say modern, this goes back to about 1989 and the stuff that guys like Thomas Dolby were doing) that I can't really see how they can be categorised as non-musical items.

[quote name='pete.young' post='1141973' date='Feb 25 2011, 11:55 PM']I think the only contentious item on the list is computers, recording for the use of. This is such a fundamental part of modern music (and when I say modern, this goes back to about 1989 and the stuff that guys like Thomas Dolby were doing) that I can't really see how they can be categorised as non-musical items.[/quote]

I completely agree. Music making software as well, as long as it's kosher and licensed.

D.

Both valid points, and both deserve an explanation as best I'm able.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1141983' date='Feb 26 2011, 12:08 AM']Message received and fair enough. That said - a general music CD is a 'non-musical item'? :) :)[/quote]

This whole subject arose out of BCers creating self promoting CDs for sale. This was felt to be an innappropriate venue for that, then it raised the issue of general music CDs and their selling on here. At the time it was felt (and nothing has changed since) that if it was allowed the sale of CDs then it would allow the site to be potentially abused by some selling for profit, and also BC could be unwittingly party to selling of bootleg music. A situation the site owners (and to be fair the Mods) are dead set against.

As a consequence it was felt that the only safe way to protect the site was to decline the sale of CDs and encourage those that want sell to use ebay.

[quote name='deksawyer' post='1141984' date='Feb 26 2011, 12:12 AM']I completely agree. Music making software as well, as long as it's kosher and licensed.

D.[/quote]

Again this was about the protection of the site from being involved in brokering the sale of ripped software. The only way a customer can be sure they have a ligit copy of software is when they register it. By then they have parted with cash for it and the seller can deniy all knowledge.
Again as CDs it was felt that the only way to protect the site and its members was to deny the sale of all software.

To some extent in an ideal world this shouldn't be neccasary, sadly we dont live in an ideal world and therefore these have been put in place to ensure a level playing field.

Bob.

[quote name='pete.young' post='1141973' date='Feb 25 2011, 11:55 PM']I think the only contentious item on the list is computers, recording for the use of. This is such a fundamental part of modern music (and when I say modern, this goes back to about 1989 and the stuff that guys like Thomas Dolby were doing) that I can't really see how they can be categorised as non-musical items.[/quote]

Pete,

As the above post, to some degree I agree with you however, it has already been argued (by current BC members) that an iPhone was a music interface, a hard drive that had only had music saved on it, Countless notebooks are 'just used for music'.

It is not an I/O question. You are correct that so much has become digitised that the lines are blurring. There are many issues around licences, Corrupted software, hardware integration issues, that it was the common concensus of most (not all) the mods but definately the site owners that the only sure way to protect the integrity of the site and its members was to not allow the sale of these on here and as above steer the potential vendor towards ebay.

Bob

[quote name='The Burpster' post='1142096' date='Feb 26 2011, 09:18 AM']Pete,

As the above post, to some degree I agree with you however, it has already been argued (by current BC members) that an iPhone was a music interface, a hard drive that had only had music saved on it, Countless notebooks are 'just used for music'.

It is not an I/O question. You are correct that so much has become digitised that the lines are blurring. There are many issues around licences, Corrupted software, hardware integration issues, that it was the common concensus of most (not all) the mods but definately the site owners that the only sure way to protect the integrity of the site and its members was to not allow the sale of these on here and as above steer the potential vendor towards ebay.

Bob[/quote]
That's fair enough but doesn't that make a lot of recording equipment per se a potentially grey area? For example, a couple of weeks ago I was seriously considering a mixer/interface which was for sale here, & like a lot of such kit, it came bundled with multitrack software. Is this sort of thing still OK?

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1142542' date='Feb 26 2011, 05:15 PM']That's fair enough but doesn't that make a lot of recording equipment per se a potentially grey area? For example, a couple of weeks ago I was seriously considering a mixer/interface which was for sale here, & like a lot of such kit, it came bundled with multitrack software. Is this sort of thing still OK?

Jon.[/quote]

Jon,

I'm not going to be anal retentive about it. If its a driver for an external mixer or interface and its legit than that's way different than selling bootlegged Pro logic...?

As I alluded to its a difficult area and I intentionally built in a short review so that if there are mahoosive conflicts between the current set up and what BCers would like then I can and will facilitate negotiations to try and achieve a concensus.

At this time its about setting boundries that give the users an idea what the playing field looks like - It may over time need a bit of levelling but then no set of rules is perfect first time out.....

Far be it from me to suggest a degree of economy about whats listed but I'm sure correctly worded adverts would be more than acceptable!

Bob.