Why become a member? ×

Never knew about Warmoth before I joined this forum

Thunderthumbs

[quote name='bnt' post='130925' date='Jan 30 2008, 08:17 PM']They don't just do replacement parts either: I like the look of their original [url="http://www.warmoth.com/gecko/gecko.cfm?fuseaction=include_gecko6"]Gecko[/url] designs, especially the 6.[/quote]
Yeah, I like the look of that.

Might have to start myself a future GAS budget :)

I'm waiting for a 54P body in Korina and a birdseye maple neck/fretboard to be 'shipped. If they're half as good as everyone says they are it's going to have the potential for being a very good bass.

I'm planning a Wizard Thumper pu, Hipshot bridge, Hipshot Ultralite machine heads with a drop D (all in black) and the new ACG filter based pre amp with one Low pass filter and one treble control.

I'm finishing the body with pure Tung oil, using Truoil for the neck and tinted Nitro Cellulose for the headstock face. I want 'P bass in yer face' mutha f*cker sound with some beautiful wood to differ from the more popular and brash P bass looks.

So that's the plan. The execution will be to follow on BC I'm sure :)

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='130965' date='Jan 30 2008, 09:23 PM']I'm waiting for a 54P body in Korina and a birdseye maple neck/fretboard to be 'shipped. If they're half as good as everyone says they are it's going to have the potential for being a very good bass.

I'm planning a Wizard Thumper pu, Hipshot bridge, Hipshot Ultralite machine heads with a drop D (all in black) and the new ACG filter based pre amp with one Low pass filter and one treble control.

I'm finishing the body with pure Tung oil, using Truoil for the neck and tinted Nitro Cellulose for the headstock face. I want 'P bass in yer face' mutha f*cker sound with some beautiful wood to differ from the more popular and brash P bass looks.

So that's the plan. The execution will be to follow on BC I'm sure :)[/quote]
Sounds nice that. Keep us posted.

• 2 weeks later...

I spent the best part of 3 years buying, trying and selling bases to find what I wanted.

I decided to take the best parts of all of the basses I had liked and have them made into something of my own.

I began with a wenge neck like my Thumb bass had. Ebony fretboard like my Bass Collection 5 string. Mahogany body like my 30th Anniversary Stingray. routed for a SCBP pickup and tele headstock like my '51 reissue P bass. I did in fact own over 30 basses but these had the best features.

To make it really different I had the body finished in gold flake, all gold hardware, the gold frets that they offer and Optima gold strings.

Looks really mental/out there man/ gay(according to my drummer) but I stand by it and it does look fantastic, especially under lights.

I only have one problem with it. they make the necks so stable that there is no adjustment to give more relief due to the steel rods that they use. I could actually take the truss rod out and the neck wouldn't move.

I plan on taking it to Jimmy Moon in glasgow to put a bit more relief into it and also fix the small mistake I made when putting it together. I wanted a Warwick just-a-nut but the neck was only precut to fit a standard nut so I went in and created a bigger groove and fired the new nut in. Unfortunately I put it in the wrong place so the notes on the first few frets are a mile out.

Apart from that, its fantastic. Absolutely rock solid - not neck heavy like some people have said in the past. Highly recommended for anyone who wants something to suit them that they cannot find in a music store. Just make sure that you know exactly what you want cos you'll get hee haw for it when you sell it because most people unfamiliar with their work believe them to be just a parts company rather than a company making what I would call high quality guitar parts easily better than any american fender i have played.

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Delberthot' post='140255' date='Feb 14 2008, 12:55 PM']I spent the best part of 3 years buying, trying and selling bases to find what I wanted.

I decided to take the best parts of all of the basses I had liked and have them made into something of my own.

I began with a wenge neck like my Thumb bass had. Ebony fretboard like my Bass Collection 5 string. Mahogany body like my 30th Anniversary Stingray. routed for a SCBP pickup and tele headstock like my '51 reissue P bass. I did in fact own over 30 basses but these had the best features.

To make it really different I had the body finished in gold flake, all gold hardware, the gold frets that they offer and Optima gold strings.

Looks really mental/out there man/ gay(according to my drummer) but I stand by it and it does look fantastic, especially under lights.

I only have one problem with it. they make the necks so stable that there is no adjustment to give more relief due to the steel rods that they use. I could actually take the truss rod out and the neck wouldn't move.

I plan on taking it to Jimmy Moon in glasgow to put a bit more relief into it and also fix the small mistake I made when putting it together. I wanted a Warwick just-a-nut but the neck was only precut to fit a standard nut so I went in and created a bigger groove and fired the new nut in. Unfortunately I put it in the wrong place so the notes on the first few frets are a mile out.

Apart from that, its fantastic. Absolutely rock solid - not neck heavy like some people have said in the past. Highly recommended for anyone who wants something to suit them that they cannot find in a music store. Just make sure that you know exactly what you want cos you'll get hee haw for it when you sell it because most people unfamiliar with their work believe them to be just a parts company rather than a company making what I would call high quality guitar parts easily better than any american fender i have played.[/quote]

Any pics?

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='140283' date='Feb 14 2008, 01:33 PM']My 54P body in Korina and birdseye maple neck arrived today, 1 day late after 3 crossings of the Atlantic.

Now to find the tung oil :)[/quote]

Do you have the patience to do plenty coats and leave four hours between each application?

I was sorely tempted to slap on a couple and bolt it together the same day. Worth it in the end though. Beautiful instruments.

I finally have the cash available to build myself a bass too. Not thinking of going down the Warmoth route tho` - thinking of getting a [url="https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=BK4"]Carvin BK4 kit[/url].

Should cost about £300 to get it here (that includes carriage, import tax etc)

mark

I put together a Warmoth 4-string from some bits that were [url="http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/showcase_deals.cfm?itemID=2"]on sale at the Warmoth site[/url] and it's quite good - I use it regularly. [url="http://hallgeir.no/bass/warmoth/"]Here are some photos and stuff[/url].
And these days I'm putting together another one, a fretless made of bubinga wood.

Ought to be nice.

This might sound daft but when I built my Warmoth 5 string jazz, I only did one coat of pure tung oil on the neck and body, rubbed it down with 0000 steel wool and then rubbed some Warwick wax into it. That was 2001. Haven't done anything to it since and still going strong. Point being, I never thought so little could go so far.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='141076' date='Feb 15 2008, 02:40 PM']With only two coats of 50% thinned tung oil there's some remarkable progress and a little bit of sheen. I did do two applications of thinned grainfiller first.

Truoil'ing the neck is going well too although there's a long way to go till it's all done.[/quote]

That's gonna look :wub: when it's finished :)

Hamster

I've nearly finished the neck and put the decals on today:

The body has a way to go yet. 10 coats of tung oil with 24 hrs between coats takes it's time. I'm going to sand in the final 3 coats wet and allow 48 hrs between each.

It's all looking great and may be ready for the NW bash?

• 2 weeks later...