Why become a member? ×

Joy to despair in 2 minutes ...... and back to delight in a week!!!!

kevin_lindsay

Personally, I've always been a fan of the classic "hung from the ceiling by a rope tied to the scroll". I find then that my practice space simultaenously conjures images of a meat storage freezer, which adds extra meat to the bass' tone, and a hangman's noose, which makes my tone nice and dark. A slight overtone of Rocky Balboa too, which is always good for those long gigs when you're not sure you can go the distance.

I almost bettered the OP the other day when my DB came within inches of falling into the River Stour, which was flowing very high and very fast at the time (and it was about 11.00pm so dark). This was not my fault, but the combination of a rather creative architect, a partner who forgets to lock doors, and a freak gust of wind (one of those doors open at both ends of the house gusts). Apparently I have never been seen to move so fast, and was heard to shout "stay the f**k there" to my bass

[quote name='TPJ' post='1146054' date='Mar 1 2011, 05:03 PM']I put my car on it's side once...glad my bass wasn't in it :)[/quote]

So in this instance it WASN'T ok to put the bass on it's side? I'm confusssssed. I think we need a new thread to clarify when exactly it's NOT okay to put a double bass on it's side.

Edited by Gareth Hughes

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='1146156' date='Mar 1 2011, 05:59 PM']I think we need a new thread to clarify when exactly it's NOT okay to put a double bass on it's side.[/quote]

Not a direct answer, but related: I can tell you with some confidence never to perform an emergency stop with a DB hard case in the back of the car.

Double ouch. I really feel for you - but fair play to you for not letting this dampen your enthusiasm. It surely is a wonderful instrument to play. Even with my left hand fingertips feeling like they've been rubbed with a cheese grater - I have three 3 hour residencies a week that came out of nowhere about a month ago - I still love playing my bass as much as I can.

I told my wife, herself a bluegrass bass player of many years, about your mishap. She sends full sympathy, having been there and seen others in the same boat!
Two pieces of advice from her, the first already well covered in this thread! Also 'don't lean your bass against a table while your mother is using the sewing machine'! :)

I was gonna take pics of "how I managed to get my double bass into my car" for my disbelieving friends. However, when you know the bass is in bits under the covers, it kind of ruins the fun of documenting the process, huh?

Here's the bass 2 minutes after I had bought it - 1 minute after it had smacked the head off the kerb. I didn't think it mattered if I had leaned it up against the car again at this point as the damage had already been done - Aaagh!!

To get the bass into the car I had to drop the roof and fold down the passenger seat

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' post='1147332' date='Mar 2 2011, 04:43 PM']I was gonna take pics of "how I managed to get my double bass into my car" for my disbelieving friends. However, when you know the bass is in bits under the covers, it kind of ruins the fun of documenting the process, huh?

Here's the bass 2 minutes after I had bought it - 1 minute after it had smacked the head off the kerb. I didn't think it mattered if I had leaned it up against the car again at this point as the damage had already been done - Aaagh!!

To get the bass into the car I had to drop the roof and fold down the passenger seat[/quote]

Kevin, thanks for posting the pics. Just a thought though - shouldn't the bass have been on its side?

OK, I'm going ...

Bruce

Glad your baby's back Kevin... hope you enjoy it.

[quote name='slobluesine' post='1145646' date='Mar 1 2011, 12:55 PM']eeeyup.... golden rule is ALWAYS lay your bass on the floor :) [b]i heard of someone did just that and then reversed over it tho [/b]:)[/quote]
:lol: straight out of a Carry On film.