Why become a member? ×

Joy to despair in 2 minutes ...... and back to delight in a week!!!!

kevin_lindsay

Well, after many years without a double bass, I bought one yesterday! Yippee.

I was so excited. I took the bass in it's padded gig bag out of the house of the guy I had bought it from, leaned the instrument against my car while I got my car key out to unlock the remote central locking.

Everything seemed to happen in slow motion as the bass slipped sideways and the headstock thumped into the kerb. Open gig bag to see the strings flopping around the fingerboard and the headstock broken off! Aaaaagh!

Oh well. It's a clean break, and I called Jimmy Moon at Moon Guitars in Glasgow (Jimmy is a double bassist himself). I've to take the bass in to him today (Tuesday) and leave itvwith him to be repaired.

I guess my wait for a double bass continues? Hahaha

Edited by kevin_lindsay

That's got to be some sort of world record!
I dropped my new MM Sterling (cased) down a flight of stairs onto a concrete floor on it's first rehearsal and dented the body of my Eminence EUB on it's second gig (knocked a light fitting with the scroll), but breaking off the scroll before you even get it home? Unlucky mate....

I suppose you at least got the worst out of the way. I heard it said somewhere that double basses are just splintered wood waiting to happen. If the repair goes well, you'll never be afraid of dropping your bass again.

Hope you and your new bass are soon reunited.

Dave

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' post='1145332' date='Mar 1 2011, 05:17 AM']Well, after many years without a double bass, I bought one yesterday! Yippee.

I was so excited. I took the bass in it's padded gig bag out of the house of the guy I had bought it from, leaned the instrument against my car while I got my car key out to unlock the remote central locking.

Everything seemed to happen in slow motion as the bass slipped sideways and the headstock thumped into the kerb. Open gig bag to see the strings flopping around the fingerboard and the headstock broken off! Aaaaagh!

Oh well. It's a clean break, and I called Jimmy Moon at Moon Guitars in Glasgow (Jimmy is a double bassist himself). I've to take the bass in to him today (Tuesday) and leave itvwith him to be repaired.

I guess my wait for a double bass continues? Hahaha[/quote]
When I took my battered to be trashed DB to be repaired, the guy said that effectively all it was was wood and glue and therefore all repairs are possible. In my case he was dead right!

Oh man.... horse, stable door and all that... but NEVER leave a double bass standing unless it's in a corner.
On it's side
On it's side
On it's side
On it's side
On it's side
On it's side
On it's side
On it's side

repeat after me

On it's side

Best of luck with it but, On it's side

Jake (On it's side) Newman

You should be fine. My bass slipped off my shoulder once I'd gotten to the top of the stairs into my old apartment. After a seven hour drive I was just too slow to catch it. Down it went head first. Neck had broken clean off. Best part was that this was a Monday evening. Called Ernie McMillan, my luthier, explained what happened and said - I've a gig on Friday I really need it for. Back into the car I went for another hours drive to him. Had it back to me on the Thursday playing better than before. I took the opportunity to have some long needed bridge work done, so it really was a far better playing instrument after the break.

Keep an eye out for other cracks appearing shortly after you get it back. I got through my next gig fine with the bass. Practicing at home the next day there was an almighty ripping sound that frightened the life out of me - I can still hear it and it makes me shudder. The headstock has a hairline crack that wasn't noticeable until the tuner up strings put all that tension on it. Back to Ernie it went. Two discreetly covered bolts later and all is still well with that bass 5+ years later.

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='1145653' date='Mar 1 2011, 01:02 PM']You should be fine. My bass slipped off my shoulder once I'd gotten to the top of the stairs into my old apartment. After a seven hour drive I was just too slow to catch it.[/quote]

I read that as you tried to drive after it down the stairs and I was thinking how big are his stairs, they can accommodate a car and they take 7 hours to drive down.

Also I don't know if this has been mentioned but you should always keep a DB on it's side.

Edited by waynepunkdude

Okay, ON IT'S SIDE shall be my mantra from now on.

Can't believe I am having to have my DB repaired before I even get to play it after buying it! Aaaaagh!!!!!

Hopefully the repair bill won't be too expensive. It should be okay as the break is pretty clean

On it's side Kevin, on it 's side!!!!

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' post='1145722' date='Mar 1 2011, 01:45 PM']Okay, ON IT'S SIDE shall be my mantra from now on.

Can't believe I am having to have my DB repaired before I even get to play it after buying it! Aaaaagh!!!!!

Hopefully the repair bill won't be too expensive. It should be okay as the break is pretty clean

On it's side Kevin, on it 's side!!!![/quote]

Just lucky you didn't drop it down Gareth's 500 mile long stairs.

I have a stand that came with my Eminence EUB - it goes everywhere the bass does. However, the design of the stand dictates that the bass is held upright - should I have it modified so that the bass is held on it's side?

Well, my bass was on it's side for all of the seven hour car journey but that didn't seem to help it much. Maybe all basses should be modified to be played on their sides and then we'd avoid these mishaps completely. But then you'd have to call it an On-It's-Side Bass instead of an Upright Bass.....

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='1145786' date='Mar 1 2011, 02:22 PM']Well, my bass was on it's side for all of the seven hour car journey but that didn't seem to help it much. Maybe all basses should be modified to be played on their sides and then we'd avoid these mishaps completely. But then you'd have to call it an On-It's-Side Bass instead of an Upright Bass.....[/quote]

2 strap pins will sort it out.