Why become a member? ×

My Jazz Weighs a lot more than my P

dave_bass5

I think it depends more on the wood than the actual model of bass. I'd love a p-bass that weighed as little as my MIJ jazz. As it is my Lakland Skyline Glaub definitely weighs more, and my old Mexican Precision was easily the heaviest of the bunch!

What do the Highway One P's weigh in at then?

[quote name='flip' post='133485' date='Feb 4 2008, 11:03 AM']I think it depends more on the wood than the actual model of bass. I'd love a p-bass that weighed as little as my MIJ jazz. As it is my Lakland Skyline Glaub definitely weighs more, and my old Mexican Precision was easily the heaviest of the bunch!

What do the Highway One P's weigh in at then?[/quote]

The reason i asked is that they are both made from Alder and so i figured they should be around about the same.
I guess with the P having more of a slanted section on the front there is less wood. also the wiring on the Jazz is through the body while the P is cut out so again, less wood on the P. the Jazz feels a lot more solid (that's not to say there is anything wrong with the P)
Ive not actually weighed them and cant find the weight in the online specs but ill weigh them tonight and post back.

Just weighed my two Fenders and the Jazz (with the P neck) is 9.5lbs and the P (with the Jazz neck) is 8.5 lbs.
I doubt the neck's make much difference but i feel the balance might make the Jazz feel heavier than it really is.

Edited by dave_bass5

I have a MIM Jazz that I bought instead of a P because I was horrendously hungover and tired and couldn't cope with the weight of the P at the time. But last February I went to see Brand New and decided I needed a Precision, and eventually got one about October time. It was a state when it arrived, needed a clean, set up, string change etc but I thought it was weird that it felt a lot lighter than the Jazz. I don't mind though because it sounds a lot bigger which is where it counts!