Why become a member? ×

what is an analogue filter

john_the_bass

Most envelope filters are analogue, so.....

EDIT: My lack of clear definition is not sarcasm. There could well be a pedal called an "analog filter" that does something completely different that i've never heard of.

Edited by cheddatom

yes that makes sense.
and had i thought it through properly, i would have been able to come to that conclusion without writing all this!

so an "analogue" filter, is a filter which uses analogues processes rather than digital, an "analog filter" is a brand name of a manufacturer's filter but they're both essentially filters - of some description.

what sort of sounds do you get with a filter then?

You can get low pass, high pass, band pass, and notch filters.

A wah is a band pass filter (I think, sometimes I get the names mixed up) that moved up and down the range and you move the pedal.

If the filter is controlled by an envelope follower, it's as though your picking dynamics are controlling the foot pedal.

You can get sequenced wahs as well, and autowahs which just rock back and forth at a set rate.

The are other types of filters, but I wouldn't really know about them in pedal form.

A filter removes select bands of frequencies but never boosts any of them.

There are five kinds of filter: [b]low-pass[/b], where low frequencies are allowed to pass through but high frequencies are reduced in level; [b]high-pass[/b], where high frequencies are allowed to pass through but low frequencies are reduced; [b]band-pass[/b], where both low and high frequencies are reduced but mid-range frequencies are allowed through; [b]band-stop[/b], where both low and high frequencies are allowed to pass, but a region in the mid-band is reduced and, last but by no means least, the [b]notch filter[/b] which is a narrow band-stop filter, taking out a small range of specific frequencies.

I guess an analogue filter is one that is made up of old fashioned electrical circuits rather than computerised digital ones!