Why become a member? ×

Please help me before I kill another bassist

Toasted

[quote name='geoffbassist' post='1147603' date='Mar 2 2011, 08:02 PM']I think it's more of a problem for the cab. You can't really bring a spare 410 :-)[/quote]

That's it Geoff. I also want to play through my really nice gear - that's the point of having it. The disrespect is really hard to deal with.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1147638' date='Mar 2 2011, 08:23 PM']It also pisses me off when a bass player gets up and the first thing he does is turn the volume up!![/quote]

I'm really thinking about drilling a hole in my front rack cover for one of these super silencing leads to come out of and that's the only access the borrower has.

You're lucky if it's the volume, normally these c**ts turn up the gain.

Next week's moan: People who use fuzz pedals through my amps, what can I do about them? Haha.

[quote name='Toasted' post='1148034' date='Mar 3 2011, 09:11 AM']I'm really thinking about drilling a hole in my front rack cover for one of these super silencing leads to come out of and that's the only access the borrower has.

You're lucky if it's the volume, normally these c**ts turn up the gain.

Next week's moan: People who use fuzz pedals through my amps, what can I do about them? Haha.[/quote]

Fuzz pedals are fine, that's them using a compressed signal into your amp you should be happy.

You should worry about people like me with boost pedals :)

[quote name='Toasted' post='1148034' date='Mar 3 2011, 09:11 AM']....You're lucky if it's the volume, normally these c**ts turn up the gain....[/quote]
Beat you to it......

I'm currently on my 3rd iteration of gain control protection!

Firstly I put a "don't touch the gain" note on the amp, which was ignored, I then put tape over the gain control but they just pulled it to the side and turned the gain up. Now I gaffer tape a plastic bottle top over the gain control to stop them getting near it! This has worked so far and I've promised myself that anyone tampering with this gets an instant red card.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1148114' date='Mar 3 2011, 10:30 AM']Firstly I put a "don't touch the gain" note on the amp, which was ignored, I then put tape over the gain control but they just pulled it to the side and turned the gain up. Now I gaffer tape a plastic bottle top over the gain control to stop them getting near it! This has worked so far and I've promised myself that anyone tampering with this gets an instant red card.[/quote]

I love it. This is what basschat is about... I get to learn from your experiences. I'd already reached the "don't touch the gain" note stage in my head, but I can jump right onto taping a bottle cap over the gain... and liklely the EQ :) Excellent!

[quote name='Toasted' post='1148140' date='Mar 3 2011, 10:46 AM']I love it. This is what basschat is about... I get to learn from your experiences. I'd already reached the "don't touch the gain" note stage in my head, but I can jump right onto taping a bottle cap over the gain... and liklely the EQ :) Excellent![/quote]
I'd be wary of this approach unless I knew that my bass had a hotter output than virtually everything else that could ever plug into it. My Recurve 5 is one of the quietest basses I've ever had, so if I handed over my amp with an untouched gain stage (nicely set up to get my signal in without distorting) to someone with something hot (my old BTB springs to mind... could happily run straight into a power amp without any problems), we'd be into proper preamp-clipping and distortion territory.

Of course, that could be a good thing. They'd sound so sh*t they'd never want to borrow your gear again. :)

I wouldnt lend me kit to any but the closest of friends .

If you have to I would suggest a rackmount limiter with a good bypass mounted in the back of your rack and set up to absolutely limit the crap out of any signal level you dont want to go over. Effectively putting a hard limit on the gain control of the amp. You can easily defeat it when you play, but a good limiter set up right shouldnt cause you any issues.

That will also help save cabs.

Cant save you from them turning up the volume though....

I would point out that if they want to use your rig you need a grand up front. As a deposit against the damage they will cause in their ignorance. In cash. And the use of their girlfriend if you feel the urge.

If they dont like those terms then have their car/van keys off them. If the promoter or band cant cope with this then take a very very cheap nasty combo and put it on top of your rig. Take your fuses with you at the end of the soundcheck, and plug them into the crap rig.

I may be verging on the Ghegis Khan approach to gear loaning, but I've not had to pay a bean out to repair anything simce I took up this attitude....

I am sorry, I just couldn't do it.
I couldn't put up with people like that so it would be a big fat NO from me.

I'd talk to the promoter, tell him your concerns and say, sorry, it isn't happening this way with your gear.
You do all you can to make this work well..and the promoters/venues understand this by rebooking the band
and you still get people like this.

And I wouldn't go to the expense of any extra kit beyond a mute pedal or lead that will do the job.. that is taking even more pee.
I am sure these guys must have pissed off a few FOH guys as well by this balnat f***wit*, IMV, behaviour.

I'd be fuming..!! and quite frankly it would override and spoil the gig...

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1148160' date='Mar 3 2011, 11:03 AM']....I'd be wary of this approach unless I knew that my bass had a hotter output than virtually everything else that could ever plug into it. My Recurve 5 is one of the quietest basses I've ever had, so if I handed over my amp with an untouched gain stage (nicely set up to get my signal in without distorting) to someone with something hot (my old BTB springs to mind... could happily run straight into a power amp without any problems), we'd be into proper preamp-clipping and distortion territory....[/quote]
I always use the Gain at about 10 o'clock so when I hand over to the jammers I take the master back to 12 o'clock and roll off some of the bass. That usually does it but if someone has an insanely loud bass I just go up on stage and turn the master down some more.

[quote name='51m0n' post='1148209' date='Mar 3 2011, 11:41 AM']If you have to I would suggest a rackmount limiter with a good bypass mounted in the back of your rack and set up to absolutely limit the crap out of any signal level you dont want to go over. Effectively putting a hard limit on the gain control of the amp. You can easily defeat it when you play, but a good limiter set up right shouldnt cause you any issues.[/quote]

Could anyone suggest a unit to fulfill this role?

Best, Joe.

At one point I considered trying to build a remote controlled VCA (voltage controlled amplifier) that would sit in the effects loop. That way if anyone turned up themselves up, then I could remotely turn them down again.

[quote name='obbm' post='1148237' date='Mar 3 2011, 12:06 PM']At one point I considered trying to build a remote controlled VCA (voltage controlled amplifier) that would sit in the effects loop. That way if anyone turned up themselves up, then I could remotely turn them down again.[/quote]
Do it! Sell it! Based on the number of threads on this exact issue, you'd have plenty of sales from Basschat alone.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1148114' date='Mar 3 2011, 10:30 AM']Beat you to it......

I'm currently on my 3rd iteration of gain control protection!

Firstly I put a "don't touch the gain" note on the amp, which was ignored, I then put tape over the gain control but they just pulled it to the side and turned the gain up. Now I gaffer tape a plastic bottle top over the gain control to stop them getting near it! This has worked so far and I've promised myself that anyone tampering with this gets an instant red card.[/quote]

My stack has, on occasion sported a (big) sign saying;
"I am not a beer stand. Nor am I something to lean against"

Next pillock that puts a beer on my electrics gets me throwing a 3-bar fire into his bath whilst he is bathing to demonstrate the principle. (I have issues with people putting drinks on amps. Should carry a death sentence.)

[quote name='51m0n' post='1148598' date='Mar 3 2011, 05:00 PM']What is the budget (realistically)?[/quote]

If it works I don't care what it costs. You've seen the price of my other gear so you know I have the means and I'm not afraid to use them... :)

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1148624' date='Mar 3 2011, 05:25 PM']My stack has, on occasion sported a (big) sign saying;
"I am not a beer stand. Nor am I something to lean against"

Next pillock that puts a beer on my electrics gets me throwing a 3-bar fire into his bath whilst he is bathing to demonstrate the principle. (I have issues with people putting drinks on amps. Should carry a death sentence.)[/quote]

I had a drummer who used to do that, until i started putting my pint on his snare and floor tom skins.

I had assumed that everyone used Neutrik cables these days? I mean whats the downside? There is none. If anyone needs any then you can do no better than to buy a few off this guy quoted below me here. ( [b][url="http://www.bassic-bits.co.uk/"]obbm[/url][/b] ) He builds his own high quality cables.

I agree though these guys sound a typical idiot brat who have no repect for other peoples stuff, as they were probably given everything they asked for by mummy and daddy. When it broke no matter they whined like a little bitch until they got a new better one. Next time one of them does it accidentally elbow him in the nose a few times.

[quote name='obbm' post='1148237' date='Mar 3 2011, 12:06 PM']At one point I considered trying to build a remote controlled VCA (voltage controlled amplifier) that would sit in the effects loop. That way if anyone turned up themselves up, then I could remotely turn them down again.[/quote]

Id buy one of those today.:)

Edited by daz

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1147627' date='Mar 2 2011, 08:18 PM']I had one of those Neutrik leads with the pop out bit to silence the cable. Great idea, but only lasted about 3 months & had to take the red pop out jack off & put a normal one on :)
I'd get a cheap crappy combo for the bass holders.[/quote]Same here, lasted a few weeks.