Why become a member? ×

Please help me before I kill another bassist

Toasted

My band almost always plays last (note: not headlines). As we play last we have to provide drum shells and bass amp for the other people sharing the gig.

Most of these people with basses (note: not bassists) seem to have difficulty with the idea that they have to unplug the amp end of the cable before the unplug the guitar end otherwise they make my speakers boom. You know the one. This f**ks me off no end as my amp is normally worth more than the rest of their band's gear combined.

Is there a widget that I can buy that will stop this happenning? Will a limiter do it?

I'm at the point of buying a second, sh*t, amp for the support acts to use. Seriously.

Edited by Toasted

How about getting an instrument cable with one of these: [url="http://www.neutrik.com/us/en/audio/204_826925229/Silent_Plug_productlist.aspx"]http://www.neutrik.com/us/en/audio/204_826...roductlist.aspx[/url] :)

Edit: I have one of these myself, and it works like a charm - no pops or squeels when hot changing basses.

Edited by BB3000S

Stand over them to start with, introduce them to the controls (they may have no idea :) ) and just mention that if they unplug the wrong way and they make your gear go bang you'll F==K**G KILL them. Might work.
Mute footpedal? Probably just as easy to educate them - we all have to learn sometime. Come on, this is really basic stuff!
ALternatively don't let anyone you don't trust use your gear. There was a whole thread on this some time back.
My first ceilidh band had a guitar/harmonica player who did this all the time, despite pleas from all of us. He nearly got walled up by a PA owner/engineer one time going through a few KW and lots of speakers. He remembered THAT gig :)

[quote name='BB3000S' post='1147541' date='Mar 2 2011, 07:17 PM']How about getting an instrument cable with one of these: [url="http://www.neutrik.com/us/en/audio/204_826925229/Silent_Plug_productlist.aspx"]http://www.neutrik.com/us/en/audio/204_826...roductlist.aspx[/url] :)[/quote]

Give obbm a call and he'll sort you out in no time at all.
I ordered a 5m cable off of him the other day and it was delivered yesterday.
I only got it today as I was out when it was delivered so a trip to the post offfice and there it was.
Nice surprise actually as I'd forgotten I'd ordered it.

Yes, one of the aforementioned cables will resolve the issue.
But it runs deeper than that doesn't it? Why is it incumbent upon you to supply the amplification (etc.) for everyone else?
I know what you mean about "people with basses" as opposed to bassists, but do you play with that many bands that "feature" these?
I guess the only alternative is to lecture everyone to turn the gain down before they unplug..

I had one of those Neutrik leads with the pop out bit to silence the cable. Great idea, but only lasted about 3 months & had to take the red pop out jack off & put a normal one on :)
I'd get a cheap crappy combo for the bass holders.

Edited by xgsjx

Joe, I know what you mean. I get this a lot on the jam night I do. Most guys are ok but a huge minority don't seem to have a clue how to plug and unplug a bass! I got that on day 1, why can't they? Unless it's the old "someone else’s gear so it doesn't matter how you treat it" syndrome!

It also pisses me off when a bass player gets up and the first thing he does is turn the volume up!!

This thread reminds me of a jam night I attended.

The house bassist is a good friend.

We were chatting when a chap wanders up with a very nice Jazz bass.

He asks if he can use the rig (Ampeg with built in mute).

All goes well but after his session, he just rips out the lead from the bass and bang!

My friend launched himself at the guy. A big fight ensued between them while I stood by (holding the bass because no instrument deserves to be broken!).

Even having a mute facility doesn't always help :)

My 2p worth would be to just accept that if the bass player is dragging their knuckles along the ground then your onto a no winner so the easiest way is to take the option out of their hands. That way they can't make it go bang & you won't be worrying about your blood pressure the whole time they're up there.

SO I present 3 options for your consideration

1) At a gig a couple of years back - I was asked if someone could use my amp & I said sorry no . . . sorry, the last guy who played through it made it go bang & cost me a ton to fix & I couldn't afford to fix it again

2) Say yes then secretly plug him into the PA DI without telling him :D

3) Say yes . . . but don't tell them about the cattle prod you've had installed in your amp or the remote switch that you are holding . . . . Just 1 press and his bass will be a melted puddle of electronics & crispy charcoal smoking in the stage lights

[center] :) :) :lol: [/center]

Hey Joe, where you goin' with that gun in your hand?

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='1147766' date='Mar 2 2011, 10:03 PM']I think I've got one of those cables with a cut out jack, I'll have a rummage in the garage and let you know.[/quote]

Just had a quick look and can't find it.

It`s unfortunate, but most of the time I think it`s the "well it ain`t my gear, so I don`t care" attitude. Or "I`ll do what I wanna".

I`ve encountered this a couple of times. It`s sad, but the most effective way I`ve found is telling them that if they damage something of mine, I will damage something of theirs, and I`m not particularly choosy about whether it`s a musical instrument, flesh, or bone.

And it shouldn`t be like that. Whilst I`ve always said it in a jokey/matey type way (as I don`t think genuinely threatening people is particularly nice), why isn`t it possible to get the required result by asking people to not do something that could break your gear, in a polite manner?

Thing is with those leads with the mute switch is that if the bass holder can't be arsed to unplug the lead from the amp first they're not gonna bother with a switch on the lead either.
When we used to have a young support band for pub gigs i tried to educate the bass player - press the tuner footswitch before you unplug. He didn't and he used my gear exactly once.

As i said in the last thread on this subject, ask for a deposit and drill the pack down routine into them. If they don't get it, refuse to pay a deposit or take the piss then simple - they bring their own amp. It's tiring when you work hard and have a pro rig only for every other bassist to dump their practice amps and plug straight into yours thinking they know it all.

Maybe an idea would be to say to each person who's about to plug in something along the lines of "Mute or unplug at the amp before disconnecting your bass, if not, you can use your own gear next time." (could even be a note on top of your amp).

The silent leads usually auto mute the minute it gets pulled from the bass & do the job nicely until they stop working. Not sure if they've improved on them as I bought mine about 3 years ago.

Edited by xgsjx

[quote name='BB3000S' post='1147541' date='Mar 2 2011, 07:17 PM']How about getting an instrument cable with one of these: [url="http://www.neutrik.com/us/en/audio/204_826925229/Silent_Plug_productlist.aspx"]http://www.neutrik.com/us/en/audio/204_826...roductlist.aspx[/url] :)

Edit: I have one of these myself, and it works like a charm - no pops or squeels when hot changing basses.[/quote]

Thanks. I'll check these out :)

[quote name='tarcher' post='1147550' date='Mar 2 2011, 07:25 PM']Give obbm a call and he'll sort you out in no time at all.
I ordered a 5m cable off of him the other day and it was delivered yesterday.
I only got it today as I was out when it was delivered so a trip to the post offfice and there it was.
Nice surprise actually as I'd forgotten I'd ordered it.[/quote]

I always use obbm for all my cables. I don't know what I'd do if Dave stopped :)

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1147590' date='Mar 2 2011, 07:52 PM']But it runs deeper than that doesn't it? Why is it incumbent upon you to supply the amplification (etc.) for everyone else?[/quote]

I don't want to sound like a douchebag, but my band is pretty tight, we spend ages working on our songs, we do it for fun but are professional, turn up on time, play well, stick to set times, have good equipment, talk to the promoter, bring a crowd, don't take the piss with the free bar etc. etc.

This means we get invited back alot, normally higher up the bill. The way it works in the Leeds original scene is that the headlining band provide drumshells and bass amp for all the other bands. You get a soundcheck, everyone else gets a line check. It makes for shorter turnaround between sets and more bands can do their thing.

I don't like it - I could break down my amp and put up another incl. line check before the drummer has his snare in the case, but that's the way it is and if you want the gigs that's what you agree to.