Why become a member? ×

Glockenlang

bassbluestew

Hey bods,

In Germany on Sunday I was doing a telly show to playback, but the house band bassist was using a Glockenlang rig and it blew me away. I'm really happy with my rig at the mo', but this was just killer, I was sitting some 40 feet away and could feel this baby punching me. And this was outdoors !!

Not sure what the head was as I couldn't get a good close look, it was 4u, maybe a "Soul" head, but it looked to have vents on it which none of them do according to the website. The cab was deffo one of their new 1200 watt 6x10's ( downsizing for me here ). It was deffo more hi-fi than my MesaBoogie 400+ ( wouldn't be hard ) but it still had that punch that a lot of boutique amps just don't deliver.

Anyhow, anybody out there use them or have any experience of them, I used one of the smaller amps and cabs years back and thought it sucked, but really, this was dynamite !!

Any help gratefully received.

S

I recently bought a Heart Rock head and a Double (212) cab. A second Double arrived today, I'm trying the 2 cabs setup this weekend on rehearsal. I love it, it has some incredible oomph, I'm especially amazed at the lows, deep but not boomy and warm, although the overall sound is pretty clean.
The Soul head is 2U and the Heart Rock is 3U. If it was 4U, what you probably saw was a Bass Art:

[quote]The Soul head is 2U and the Heart Rock is 3U. If it was 4U, what you probably saw was a Bass Art:
[/quote]

Now thats what I thought having looked at their website................but this thing looked to have vents, could have ben the soul head and a vented rack cover I suppose, but it looked all in one. Have you had the new upgrade done to your head :) apparently it's to match your head up to the new "6 box" producing 1000 watts at 2.7 ohms, yes you did read that right, two point seven ohms !! I take it reliability ain't an issue, I gig at least twice a week so it has to be robust.

Have you heard any reports of the new 6x10 ?? Where did you get yours ?? I suppose Thomann would have it, but I'd like to try it before spending north of £2k on a new rig !!! Any idea what the resale values are.............might have a look on t'bay.

Ain't gas a bitch !!
Thanks for the help so far,
Stewart

OK, one by one! First, no, I didn't have to upgrade it, because it was shipped like that. I think they have been shipping with the 2.7 ohm upgrade as standard for a year or so now. Actually my first setup with the Heart Rock was at 2.7 ohm with a 4 ohm Schroeder 1210 and an 8 ohm Schroeder Mini12. I gigged outside with the 8 ohm Glockenklang Double, which means that the head was only pushing 400W (instead of 750W@4 ohm, [email protected]), and it was amazingly loud. I'm actually thinking of shipping the second Double back, unless there is a big advancement in tone, as at 8 ohm it's plenty for me - and I play in a very loud metal band.

About the 6Box... I've talked about it with Udo, the owner of Glockenklang, and he says it's punchier but also deeper sounding that their 410. I was actually thinking of getting a 6Box, but the weight and size were too much for me. I'm pretty sure that a Heart Rock with either a 610, two 212s or even one 410 can crash buildings. I bought mine from Musicstore.de. Thomann actually was a little cheaper, but if you want to use the 30-day money back guarantee and you're outside Germany you have to pay for shipping the stuff back - which, for such an amp and cabs, would be veeery very expensive. On the contrary, musicstore pays for shipping them back as well - at least for Greece! And the best part is that, when I asked them, they even gave me a slightly cheaper price than Thomann. Finally, these do not come up very often on ebay... the last Heart Rock I remember was around 2 months ago on german ebay, included a rack case, a korg rack tuner and a rack compressor, and went for around 1200 euro.

I would suggest asking about musicstore's return policy for the UK, see if they cover shipping items back if you don't like them and want to take advantage of the 30-day money back deal, and if they do order what you think fits your needs best, try it out and if it doesn't work for you ship it back.

I was also playing around Germany last summer and a few players were using Glock set ups. They all sounded geat (also with Esh basses? never heard of them!). Fantastic full sound and good projection. They didn't look very light though.

BB

Thanks All,

I WAS hoping you'd all be telling me it was CRAP and I'd be better off leaving well alone. :)

Bloody Gas, I do like my Mesa Boogie, but I did like this Glockenklang ( I think it translates as something like Long Bell ?? ) sound too.

Size and weight aren't really an issue ( my 400+ is in a 6U shockmount case, hardly light, and I use an Ashdown ABM810 too ) as we move all our gear in a van and also I have a large 4x4 so space is plentiful.

Mmmmmmmm I'm away for a think !
S

[quote]also with Esh basses? never heard of them![/quote]

ESH were run by Zoltan Narry and hand made basses - they went bust in 2005.

[url="http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Bass/brand/ESH"]http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews...+Bass/brand/ESH[/url]

[quote name='bassbluestew' post='13189' date='Jun 6 2007, 06:11 PM']Thanks All,

I WAS hoping you'd all be telling me it was CRAP and I'd be better off leaving well alone. :)

Bloody Gas, I do like my Mesa Boogie, but I did like this Glockenklang ( I think it translates as something like Long Bell ?? ) sound too.

Size and weight aren't really an issue ( my 400+ is in a 6U shockmount case, hardly light, and I use an Ashdown ABM810 too ) as we move all our gear in a van and also I have a large 4x4 so space is plentiful.

Mmmmmmmm I'm away for a think !
S[/quote]
"Bell Sound" :huh:

[quote name='Dragonlord' post='13006' date='Jun 6 2007, 03:16 PM']I'm actually thinking of shipping the second Double back, unless there is a big advancement in tone, as at 8 ohm it's plenty for me - and I play in a very loud metal band.[/quote]
...and that's exactly what I'm gonna do! I'm pretty stoked about how loud and good the HR sounds with just one 212 at 8 ohm and 400W. It's probably as loud as my previous WT550 at 2.7 ohm and 600smth W with two Schroeder cabs (1210+Mini12), and easily louder than the WT550 at 4 ohm and 500W with just the 1210. The sound improvement was slight at the volumes we play, it sounded a bit thicker but nothing that could justify the cost or extra lugging to me. So, I'm plenty happy with the HR and an 8 ohm Double. If I were to do it all over again though, I would probably go for a 4 ohm 410 to have the extra wattage in case it's needed.

• 2 months later...

Just a heads up on a Glock double: If I haven't missed it, this is my returned Glock 212 cab: [url="http://www.musicstorekoeln.de/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/MusicStore-MusicStoreShop-Site/en_EN/-/EUR/ViewProductDetail-Start;pgid=TOZgSIbWhSR.WbURca0000000000lUmL24Ih?CatalogVideo=&ProductUUID=CuzVqHzm7QAAAAEUgZ1THoeP&CatalogCategoryID=ZW7VqHzmCJYAAAEROpsvKPl9&JumpTo=OfferList"]http://www.musicstorekoeln.de/is-bin/INTER...umpTo=OfferList[/url]
If it is indeed mine, then it's in perfect shape, I only tried it once at a rehearsal, hardly pushed it as it was running with another double, so it was getting half the power. It's as good as new, so if you're looking to buy a Glock cab that's an easy way to save some money while still buying a new one.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Rich' post='52122' date='Aug 29 2007, 08:05 AM']What, both of them? :) :huh:[/quote]

Hey guys,

S.M.A.R.T can help, they're the only bass amplification that we sell 'cos it's the best solid state bass amplification out there.

Perfect for our Modulus and Turner basses.

Their philosophy is to amplify the sound of your bass as purely as possible, hence the name in German 'Glockenklang' ('bell sound literally or in English as 'clear as a bell').

Ian

S.M.A.R.T Distribution

www.smart-distribution.co.uk

Edited by SMART