Why become a member? ×

What cables do you recommend?

TRBboy

[quote name='Toasted' post='1153643' date='Mar 8 2011, 01:09 PM']Bassic cables from forumite OBBM. I dont know why anyone would buy anything else.

[url="http://www.bassic-bits.co.uk/"]http://www.bassic-bits.co.uk/[/url][/quote]

+1 Don't use anything else.

[quote name='Toasted' post='1153643' date='Mar 8 2011, 01:09 PM']Bassic cables from forumite OBBM. I dont know why anyone would buy anything else.

[url="http://www.bassic-bits.co.uk/"]http://www.bassic-bits.co.uk/[/url][/quote]

Yet another convert here to Dave/OBBM's Bassic Bits cables. Nothing but top quality parts, workmanship and reasonable prices. He is the man and I wouldn't think twice about recommending him to others in need of bass related cables of any sort.
He does a BC member discount too I believe?

[quote name='jonthebass' post='1271945' date='Jun 16 2011, 06:28 PM']Yet another convert here to Dave/OBBM's Bassic Bits cables. Nothing but top quality parts, workmanship and reasonable prices. He is the man and I wouldn't think twice about recommending him to others in need of bass related cables of any sort.
He does a BC member discount too I believe?[/quote]

Same same :) +1000

I make my own, but using pretty much the same stuff as OBBM... so yeah... I recommend them!

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1155017' date='Mar 9 2011, 11:20 AM']+ Another

As soon as I plugged in with the Bassic ones, the signal from the bass increased considerably to the extent that, for the first time, I had to turn my bass down as it was overdriving the preamp too much. Well built and good service too.[/quote]

Sorry but either you were using very, very bad or broken leads before... or this is nonsense. OBBM, i believe, uses vandamme or klotz cable which is great for a number of reasons but nothing magical. If you have gone from NOT overdriving a preamp to overdriving a preamp just by changing cable then there is or was something wrong somewhere :)

[quote name='NJW' post='1272322' date='Jun 17 2011, 02:48 AM']:)[/quote]

Completely unrelated, but I've just noticed who you are! Played a gig with you in Manchester in my last band (Red Pen Letter) years ago, and was over the moon, cos I'm a big Stapleton fan.

/end fanboy gush :)

[quote name='NJW' post='1272324' date='Jun 17 2011, 02:57 AM']Ha! Hey there mate I remember you. That was upstairs in.... *think think think*... the Phoenix? Is that right? Did Tellison play too?[/quote]

The very one! Top gig that :)

EDIT: Not sure if Tellison were on that one, trying to remember the name of another band that were on, post-rock stuff, possibly from brighton, maybe has blue in the band name... good band, I bought their album...

Edited by Wooks79

Yeah that was a good tour for us, I think that was us on our way down to meet up with Statistics (ex-Desaparicidos / Cursive). I remember having a Red Pen Letter demo CD in the van for the duration! We enjoyed it :)

Anyway, back on topic :) Buy bassic bits/OBBM cables!

Edited by NJW

[quote name='NJW' post='1272322' date='Jun 17 2011, 02:48 AM']I make my own, but using pretty much the same stuff as OBBM... so yeah... I recommend them!

Sorry but either you were using very, very bad or broken leads before... or this is nonsense. OBBM, i believe, uses vandamme or klotz cable which is great for a number of reasons but nothing magical. If you have gone from NOT overdriving a preamp to overdriving a preamp just by changing cable then there is or was something wrong somewhere :)[/quote]

Fair enough, but I can only relate my experience, which is not nonsense. The cables I had used before were both old (Venom and Whirlwind) and these produced the same result, ie not quite enough signal to produce distortion. As soon as I used the OBBM, I had enough signal to break up. Does the fact that it's a valve power section make any difference?

Edited by Roland Rock

Not nonsense then if its your experience, but it sounds like you were really suffering from bad cable-itis and now obviously are much more pleased with your cables! I think it would be inaccurate for people to expect more output with new cables because theyre only going to be dissapointed - a new shop bought jack to jack lead isn't going to be all that different from an OBBM one except it's going to break soon, it won't coil as nicely and the jacks on the end won't be as good/tough/pretty/well fitting.

Speaking of valve pre sections, I just looked at the link to your Red Iron Amp photos. Do you have a thread up on BC about that anywhere cos it looks lovely!

edit - yes there ARE differences in cables in terms of capacitance and resistance but generally - unless using REALLY unsuitable materials - these differences are minor (but relevant!). I would never underestimate the audible benefits of good cable, but I still can't see a situation where 2 healthy jack to jack leads with different cable would produce such a big difference in signal level.

Edited by NJW

OBBM. Would not now buy anything else. And for those who - like me - had cables originally made up with the Van Damme cable, I can strongly reccommend having another made up with the Klotz cable that Dave is now offering. I thought the difference was quite significant.

Pip pip!

BC

[quote name='NJW' post='1272606' date='Jun 17 2011, 12:10 PM']Not nonsense then if its your experience, but it sounds like you were really suffering from bad cable-itis and now obviously are much more pleased with your cables! I think it would be inaccurate for people to expect more output with new cables because theyre only going to be dissapointed - a new shop bought jack to jack lead isn't going to be all that different from an OBBM one except it's going to break soon, it won't coil as nicely and the jacks on the end won't be as good/tough/pretty/well fitting.

Speaking of valve pre sections, I just looked at the link to your Red Iron Amp photos. Do you have a thread up on BC about that anywhere cos it looks lovely!

edit - yes there ARE differences in cables in terms of capacitance and resistance but generally - unless using REALLY unsuitable materials - these differences are minor (but relevant!). I would never underestimate the audible benefits of good cable, but I still can't see a situation where 2 healthy jack to jack leads with different cable would produce such a big difference in signal level.[/quote]

Fair enough - I didn't mean to give a false impression of the leads.
Cheers for the amp compliment, thread [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=114328&hl=red+iron"]here[/url] - it's not quite as pretty on the inside, and has had its fair share of trouble, but is finally the amp that it always should have been!

I use Monster Cables exclusively and have done for many years.....

My jury is still out as to whether they sound any better than other cables i have tried but I do know that I've been using the same 2 cables (bass-fx, fx-amp) since 1994 with NO let downs.

Monster have got a pretty bad rap on here in the past, some of it justified due to their over zealous protection of the word 'monster', but purely on my experience of their products, i'd recommend them.

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1272623' date='Jun 17 2011, 12:20 PM']Fair enough - I didn't mean to give a false impression of the leads.[/quote]

I'm not sure why I chose to pick up on your post really... I'll blame it on being nearly 3am and frustration with not being able to get to sleep! My apologies!

• 2 weeks later...

I used Monster for years, and whirlwind early in my career, i use evidence audio and zaolla cables now and i love em very clear tone with little colouration however contrary to the OP they are expensive, you pay for what you get, i did use planet waves for a time and must have got 3 as they kept breaking , one was knackered right out the box :angry:spend a little more on a cable and it should last a lifetime.
The OBBM cables sound more to your needs, high quality and not too expensive.