Why become a member? ×

USA Vendors

Leowasright

I have had a search around the site, but can anyone suggest names of willing US vendors who will ship over here?

I have been looking for a USA Fender Jazz in Butterscotch with maple fingerboard, but of course it is now discontinued here, and all of them seem to have gone in the UK......

Many thanks

David H

I recently imported a Stingray 5 from the guys at Bass Central in Florida www.basscentral.com

Grasshopper is a top bloke and couldn't be more helpful. They even slightly under-declared the value to save me a few quid on the charges.
I couldn't rate them highly enough and will definately shop there again really soon.

Chris

[quote name='woodster' post='132076' date='Feb 1 2008, 05:19 PM']I recently imported a Stingray 5 from the guys at Bass Central in Florida www.basscentral.com

Grasshopper is a top bloke and couldn't be more helpful. They even slightly under-declared the value to save me a few quid on the charges.
I couldn't rate them highly enough and will definately shop there again really soon.

Chris[/quote]

Thanks for a starting point!

Where in Soton are you???? I am actually old Hedge End

[quote name='woodster' post='132076' date='Feb 1 2008, 05:19 PM']I recently imported a Stingray 5 from the guys at Bass Central in Florida www.basscentral.com

Chris[/quote]

Ditto. I dealt with Beaver who co-owns the shop and he got Alembic to declare the 'trade' price of my last bass to help reduce the customs charge. He was very friendly and bent over backwards to meet my needs.

[quote name='craigjf1969' post='135377' date='Feb 6 2008, 11:03 PM']Right guys,so say for instance i chose a bass for 600dollars....with conversion at current rates and all other import taxes/duties added....what would i be looking at pound-wise???????Cheers Craig[/quote]

Whatever your total shipped price is, convert it to £ and add about 22% for the various taxes.

Hamster

[quote name='Hamster' post='135398' date='Feb 6 2008, 11:19 PM']Whatever your total shipped price is, convert it to £ and add about 22% for the various taxes.

Hamster[/quote]
and beware getting the vendor to be "helpful" with the price because
[list]
[*]Customs are no fools and have people who know the value of instruments so if you get too cute on the declared value you could come a serious cropper; and
[*]if there is a problem in the shipping and you need to claim it will be on the declared value not what you paid
[/list]

Even paying duty on the full value you will often find you still save on UK prices

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

Im thinking about getting a stingray 5 from basscentral. Its about $1000 so what should I be expecting to pay in shipping and taxes? am I right in thinking the grand total would be around £650 - £700

I'm really happy some of you have successfully been down this route, makes me feel a lot better about it. Also How long was delivery?

Thanks

Nathan

[quote name='NJE' post='188328' date='Apr 29 2008, 07:03 PM']Hello all,

Im thinking about getting a stingray 5 from basscentral. Its about $1000 so what should I be expecting to pay in shipping and taxes? am I right in thinking the grand total would be around £650 - £700

I'm really happy some of you have successfully been down this route, makes me feel a lot better about it. Also How long was delivery?

Thanks

Nathan[/quote]

The bass may be $1000 (approx £510), then I'd imagine you have shipping costs $150 - $350 (£75 - £175) + taxes @ 22% calculated on the total inc' shipping (£710 - £835), then budget for the Customs/ParcelForce handling fee at this end. You can of course look on the bright side and hope that shipping is less than I think and that you may not get hit for all of the taxes and handling fees but realistically I reckon you'd be looking at closer to £750 - £850. I've only ever bought 2 basses from the States and both times I was a bit optimistic with the total (hence I'm erring on the side of caution with your pricing) but I was pleasantly surprised that they arrived trouble free in 7 - 10 days.