Why become a member? ×

which compressor?

Kev

never really been much of a compressor man, but im really digging some tones im hearing lately which have a lot of compression

im after something that does the usual compressor jobs but with something special, something that adds a nice warm thump with every note you play, anyone know what i mean?? any recomendations?

No samples I am afraid. It is a very good unit - probably more useful as an effect than a constant use job. It does the squishy sound really well, and of course being able to tailor the top end separately is a bonus. The red knob in the middle is great too because you can quickly switch from a really squishy bassy regge sound to a thin clanky sound. And everything in between of course.

Check this out, this guy knows what he's talking about. I just bought an EBS Multicomp from a fellow basschatter based on this info. The Trace does look good though I've seen a few go for about £60 on ebay lately. But the best according to this guy are EBS Multicomp, Demeter Compulator, or BBE Opto Stomp.

[url="http://www.ev-b.com/compressors.html"]Bongomania's Compressor Review Page[/url]

Edited by dannybuoy

indeed, interesting stuff, cheers for that

i like his description of the jacques pedal, and i love the trinity wah i have by them, but im having trouble finding them in uk, just at sounds great music for £99... demeter compulator sounds good too

decision decisions

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='132460' date='Feb 2 2008, 10:52 AM']How about a DHA valve compressor?[/quote]
It's meant to warm and colour your sound more than a regular modern compressor, but it looks like that's what this guy's after. The link I posted above will have a review of the DHA soon, he's just received it apparently. EBS multicomp has a tube sim mode too. EHX Blackfinger sounds awesome and I love the clips on the EHX website, but is very noisy from what I've heard.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='132472' date='Feb 2 2008, 11:06 AM']EHX Blackfinger sounds awesome and I love the clips on the EHX website, but is very noisy from what I've heard.[/quote]

I've owned an EHX Blackfinger in the past. It adds a nice warmth to your tone but it's quite subtle- you can't squish the hell out of your sound with it. If you're after a subtle, nice sounding compressor it's worth a try. I found it to be completely silent too, with no unwanted noise.

[quote name='thumbo' post='137358' date='Feb 9 2008, 10:48 PM']I've owned an EHX Blackfinger in the past. It adds a nice warmth to your tone but it's quite subtle- you can't squish the hell out of your sound with it. If you're after a subtle, nice sounding compressor it's worth a try. I found it to be completely silent too, with no unwanted noise.[/quote]

I was set to buy a blackfinger but was put off by the noise issue, my local shop refused get one in for a demo so in the end i got a Boss with the intent of modifying it. ( it's crap standard by the way). Compressors must be one of the hardest effects to get right, I know what i want from one but would find it hard to describe in words, I totally understand this bloke and the slightly obsessive amount of them he has owned [url="http://www.ev-b.com/compressors.html"]http://www.ev-b.com/compressors.html[/url]

I've not tried loads of compressors, but i've been using a DBX 160a for the past couple of years and I couldn't be happier with the way it sounds. I run it in my FX loop too, it seems to work really well in there with my markbass amp. There's a certain kind of nice tone that the 160a kicks out, even when it's not compressing.