Why become a member? ×

ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS !

Machines

[quote name='Machines' post='1164345' date='Mar 16 2011, 01:02 PM']I've now dropped maximum upload space per user from 100MB to 75MB and no more than 20MB of attachments per post. Just found one post with 10 x 5-6MB images, no need ![/quote]
Sure, that's a wise move if you have limited space. Still, I'll echo Buzz's comment. Unless you're getting a bargain price for hosting, 40GB is actually quite little space.

[quote name='setekh' post='1164750' date='Mar 16 2011, 06:33 PM']Sure, that's a wise move if you have limited space. Still, I'll echo Buzz's comment. Unless you're getting a bargain price for hosting, 40GB is actually quite little space.[/quote]

It's actually 60GB but 40GB is uploads. It's $10 per 5GB per month above standard, not great value and we're not looking at moving hosts for disk space alone. I think introducing a mentality of not uploading multiple 5MB images is the first step and if that's still not enough then we can upgrade.

[quote name='Machines' post='1165323' date='Mar 17 2011, 07:32 AM']It's actually 60GB but 40GB is uploads. It's $10 per 5GB per month above standard, not great value and we're not looking at moving hosts for disk space alone. I think introducing a mentality of not uploading multiple 5MB images is the first step and if that's still not enough then we can upgrade.[/quote]
OK, so not as bad. Still not excellent, though, since I assume you've got a VPS.

Anyway, regardless of disk space it is a good move to restrict image and audio size. I'm not familiar with IPBoards, but can't you set a size limit?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is still an issue i'm afraid.

The problem is people are uploading full resolution images (anything above 1MB is unneccessary) without resizing them on their PC that are far bigger than they need to be. Don't be offended if your image gets deleted - resize it before uploading in the future, thanks :).

[quote name='Machines' post='1263742' date='Jun 10 2011, 11:16 AM']This is still an issue i'm afraid.

The problem is people are uploading full resolution images (anything above 1MB is unneccessary) without resizing them on their PC that are far bigger than they need to be. Don't be offended if your image gets deleted - resize it before uploading in the future, thanks :).[/quote]
If it's an ongoing problem why not limit any new images to <1MB?

Edited by KiOgon

Thanks for the suggestions, alas the current version of the software does not allow us to impose the limits as they will affected ALL files, not just JPG. This would stop people uploading MP3s over 1Mb which isn't our issue at the moment. Also - it won't remove old files that are too big. Software will be upgraded in the next couple of months which will allow us to prevent the issue reoccuring - for now though, it's file culling.

FWIW i've been targeting MOSTLY files that are 4MB and over a year old but also a few JPGs that are 6MB+ and more recent.

Not sure if its been suggested but why not choose a (for the moment) voluntary limit to the total size of the attachments per member (say 50 MB) and ask everyone to prune their attachments to below this threshold - then after a week or two, see if this has solved the problem. The difference with your suggestion of everyone just weeding out or re-sizing stuff is that it gives an explicit target for everyone to work towards?

Also use a more attention grabbing title - I only just read this thread after nearly 3 months as it looked so, well, boring! Housekeeping zzzzzzzz

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='1263886' date='Jun 10 2011, 01:22 PM']Not sure if its been suggested but why not choose a (for the moment) voluntary limit to the total size of the attachments per member (say 50 MB) and ask everyone to prune their attachments to below this threshold - then after a week or two, see if this has solved the problem.[/quote]
Assuming only 10% of users (1500 of 15000) have attachments and use the 50MB limit (and no-one else has ANY attachments) then we would still have 75GB of attachments (currently 38GB of a 60 GB disk !). I think 10MB should be enough for anyone with sensible file resizing.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1263886' date='Jun 10 2011, 01:22 PM']Also use a more attention grabbing title - I only just read this thread after nearly 3 months as it looked so, well, boring! Housekeeping zzzzzzzz[/quote]
How do you make it exciting exactly ?! :) The issue is, there are many users who simply don't care and will not bother, they will read it and think "meh, not my problem". The few users that have mucked in are appreciated, but probably aren't able to do enough on their own. This leads to intervention being taken manually.

All i'm doing is managing the issue we have right now until it can be resolved in the long term.

Fair do's on limit - you have the stats, I don't! Was arbitrarily suggesting a figure on the basis of no knowledge whatsoever. So then why not, in answer to second part of above post, re-post (posibly in several popular forums and keep bumping) along the lines of (with shouty capitals):

[b]"ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS - ACTION REQUIRED!

Due to the memory limit of your favourite bass forum nearing the limit, we need you ALL to take immediate action and reduce the memory used in your attachments to below 10MB. This can be done by removing old, defunct pictures, by linking to third party photo hosts (eg Flickr) or by re-sizing the pictures you wish to keep. Re-sizing can be simply done by .... blah blah blah [this is where I don't have a scooby do so fill in details here]"[/b]

I reckon this will elicit a better response than you have had so far :)

PS, I will read with interest how to re-size as my attachments total over 50MB (my camera takes 3-5MB pictures and I am too tech-gumbyish to know how to adjust this

[quote name='Clarky' post='1263935' date='Jun 10 2011, 02:03 PM']PS, I will read with interest how to re-size as my attachments total over 50MB (my camera takes 3-5MB pictures and I am too tech-gumbyish to know how to adjust this[/quote]
Check out the first post of this thread.

Also, your camera will have a choice of resolutions (well, mine does). You can probably opt for smaller ones but then you might end up resizing them smaller anyway ! I take pics on my camera in highest setting and edit on PC before uploading, doing this also makes a huge difference to upload times.

[quote name='Machines' post='1264074' date='Jun 10 2011, 04:07 PM']Check out the first post of this thread.

Also, your camera will have a choice of resolutions (well, mine does). You can probably opt for smaller ones but then you might end up resizing them smaller anyway ! I take pics on my camera in highest setting and edit on PC before uploading, doing this also makes a huge difference to upload times.[/quote]
OK, will attempt over coming week to re-size my images ... or dump them (I have looked on my camera through the menu options and cannot find a lower resolution option)

I still think my in-your-face suggestion in my last post would get people to sit up and take notice