Why become a member? ×

ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS !

Machines

Hi people.

It has come to our attention that we are close (no emergency yet though) to running out of disk space. The main reason for this is user attachments, we currently have 52500 attachments uploaded by members and using 40GB of disk space ! Whilst the quantity of attachments is not the issue, the size of them is.

Quite often we see For Sale threads with several images attached that are over 2MB each and are just big blurry pics of something that level of detail is not required. 500Kb per image should more than sufficient for most images, however we are not imposing a limit at the moment. If you aren't sure how to make your image smaller, try resizing it in any imaging software you have or there are websites that can do this for you (e.g. [url="http://resizeimage.org/)"]http://resizeimage.org/)[/url].

We ask that [b]ALL[/b] users review the attachments they have, and see if they really need to be there. This can be done by going to the 'My Controls' section and 'Manage Your Attachments'. [b]If you have some from a For Sale thread for something you sold a year ago, does it need to be there now ?[/b]

It would be preferable for the situation to be resolved this way rather than by forced deletion of the oldest/largest attachments as this could lead to missing images in live threads.

Also, there are numerous sound files uploaded, one of them is 15MB alone ! It doesn't take many of those to start filling the server up, we ask that you transfer any large (<2MB) sound recordings to an externally hosted website (such as [url="http://www.soundcloud.com"]SoundCloud[/url]) as these are likely to be removed in the near future.

If you have any questions then please ask here or send one of the mods a message !

Your co-operation is appreciated.

Many thanks,

Machines

Just in case the relevant mod misses the other thread - I'm sure you can get a script to integrate into the forum which will automatically resize images to a maximum size.

EDIT: I notice the forum is in php. I know imagemagick can be run using php.

Edited by cheddatom

[quote name='Buzz' post='1158076' date='Mar 11 2011, 02:06 PM']40Gb and you're getting worried...I'd be asking your hosts why you've got such little HDD space considering it's cheap as chips these days.[/quote]
We are looking at expanding it, in the short term this is the best solution.

[quote name='Brave Sir Robin' post='1158117' date='Mar 11 2011, 02:42 PM']Also noticed Basschat is being pig-slow today. hmmm coincidence?[/quote]
I have noticed a correlation between querying the attachment statistics and a slowdown, it seems to be quite CPU intensive.

Just checked again and now about 400MB has been cleared. That's 1% of the total we have in attachments. Don't need them all clearing, just the old or excessively sized ones !

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='1158101' date='Mar 11 2011, 02:30 PM']Indeed. Even terabyte drives a dirt cheap nowadays.[/quote]

Server disk space isn't the same as PC disk space.
Last time I added a terabyte of disk space to an HP EVA (last year) it cost somewhere in the region of £9K.

maybe admins can delete "for sale" posts that have already been sold and that money and goods have already changed hands, i bet that would free up some good space.
also, the file size cap is 25mb, i believe 10 to be more than enough

We're not intending to remove any posts - even old ones can be searched from on google (e.g. someone searches for 'wal for sale') and ends up here. Might not get the bass they want that day but are more likely to get sorted eventually !

[quote name='Machines' post='1158618' date='Mar 11 2011, 08:39 PM']We're not intending to remove any posts - even old ones can be searched from on google (e.g. someone searches for 'wal for sale') and ends up here. Might not get the bass they want that day but are more likely to get sorted eventually ![/quote]

This is exactly the kind of thing that brought me here! :)

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='1158237' date='Mar 11 2011, 04:06 PM']Correct.

S.P.[/quote]
I'm a complete novice on such matters, but if this is the case why not recommend folk use off site servers instead of the BC attachment thingy which I've never used

[quote name='Marvin' post='1158720' date='Mar 11 2011, 09:55 PM']I'm down to 230k :). However, there are now about 40+ posts that will make absolutely no sense at all.

What was that? No change there? You cheeky lot :)[/quote]

I think you'd be surprised how many people host pictures on photobucket etc!

That or I'll be surprised at how many people don't...