Why become a member? ×

Back to when you were in your early teens

Brandonh

Although my early teens were technically a few years ago, it wasn't really like that.

Rather than plowing through scales I think it is more important to learn music theory first so that everything you practice has reference and infrastructure. This allows you to better encode what you're playing into long term memory, semantically, as it now has relevance.

And when you understand the theory you'll be able to work out what you need to practice yourself.

Getting a band together and gigging experience is the best thing to do imo, then learn the theory on the side for improvement, or quickly - because you have to.

I'd certainly liked to have learned more theory. For a long time I just slavishly copied basslines or thundered along on the root. Having some theory would have given me a lot more versitility and opened up lots of more interesting music.

I'd also have concentrated on good technique from the start - that would have saved me having to re-learn later on.

In reality though if I was a young teenager again I'd be far to lazy and impatient to learn music properly so I'd probably just grab a pick and turn the amp up to 11 all over again.

Back in my teens just getting hold of a bass and listening and playing along to electric music would have been a great advance. At the time I was playing 'cello in school and youth orchestras and had very little appreciation of really using my ears (as oppose to reading the dots) and none of what improvisation was about. Paul makes a good point about a framework of music theory to create a way to capture and consolidate new experience. I think you need to have the "music gene" switched on for this process to happen without a great deal of work. As I don't, I still struggle with trying to integrate what I hear with shapes on the fretboard and theory of keys, modes, and progressions. If I could have got my parents to sub me a Fender Precision in 1965 life might be a bit different!

Piano and electric guitar.
There would have been no time to do it- girls, music, endless summer holidays... :-)

There have been many times when I wished I had applied myself to both instruments- harmonic knowledge is a great help to us bass players. I can plink on both now but wish I could do more.

On the bass itself I wish I had studied improvisation more- blues first then some jazz. Again, I have never made the time. I've had too many years of playing just basslines! Zzzzzzzzzz.

If I knew then what I know now, I'd have told my Old Man to get lost when he handed me a guitar. I'd have taken up the bass instead.
However, he did say, as he handed it to me "learn to play this son, it'll get you laid" (he was right!) :)

onstage dress sense, have you seen my avatar?!?! i was playing at run to the sun festival in newquay in that pic when i was about 18, NASTY outfit! (and theory, any theory at all. hell even tab!)

Edited by gafbass02

I've always been more interested in the overall dynamics of a song and how what the bass plays can influence that, i.e when to do very little and when to be busier for effect.

Until the age of about 28 I was just interested in pop and rock. I think if I went back to my early teens I'd try to get an appreciation of a wider range of music and how the songs hang together in each field. Its a cliche, but its not what you play but what you don't and I'm sure my "pop" basslines would have been better / more interesting with a better knowledge of say how funk or jazz bassplayers work with the drummer. That doesn't mean technically cleverer, just notes placed differently and in "better" timing.

Does this sound like crap?

CHORD TONES !!!

Every chord in all positions of the neck in every key!
And dont try to apply it just learn them and play along with everything that comes on the radio.

It'll soon make sense and you'll work for life !!!!
I learnt this too late, i got into Jeff Berlins chordtones series about 12 years ago and havent been out of work since!!!!
I keep meaning to email him and tell him i owe him dinner!!

Well Im 18 and until about a year ago only played in rock bands in pubs and clubs then I got the chance to play with some experienced musos in a jazz band and now were playing as much as we can at charity gigs and functions.

So I recon just jump at any chances to play live and at all types of music hit it head on and enjoy it!

I started playing when I was 20 and a student and I wish I had started earlier.

Shortly after getting my business studies degree, I fell into the print industry, where I've worked for 8 different companies since 1984 to escape the redundancy axe (with varying degrees of success).

If I'd the chance to do it all again, I'd have practiced harder on the bass, listened to the people who told me I was good at it, and been true to my creative side and tried to make a career out of it. I'd probably have been as poor as a church-mouse (ie, marginally poorer than I am now), but I'm sure I'd have been happier.......

[quote name='presoulnation' post='13661' date='Jun 7 2007, 04:15 PM']When I was a nipper I was playing the Oboe in the school orchestra so I am not sure how much relevance that has :)[/quote]

If it was anything like me, trying saxophone, then settling for 3rd clarinet in the school orchestra, then it could have been a process of elimination that led you to the bass.

My cousin played guitar and the fact that he always seemed to be breaking strings left me feeling that this was just way too much hassle, so that was another instrument crossed off the shortlist.