Why become a member? ×

Eberhard Meinel 3/4 Double Bass for sale

I am putting up my Eberhard Meinel 3/4 double bass for sale. It's fully carved. It is approx 20 years old and I have had it for 16. For the first 12 of those years it was my sole instrument and has done hundreds of gigs with me in UK, Holland and Germany. It amplifies very well and has a good solid sound. It is in very good condition for its age; apart from a few surface scratches there are no cracks, splits or repairs. There is a small chip on the RH corner of the top bout which I have tried to bring out in a photo. A new end pin was fitted two years ago and a set of Spirocores last year.

It is supplied with a cover and a Rev Solo pickup. I know Hubrad used to have a Meinel a few years ago and he may still have it so perhaps he may be able to endorse the brand.

I am after £1600 for the bass which would suit a beginner or improver. Any inspection welcomed, even time-wasters.

I'm not very good with photos so I hope you will be able to open these up.

[attachment=74859:2011_031...rman0006.JPG][attachment=74860:2011_031...rman0007.JPG][attachment=7486
1:2011_031...rman0008.JPG][attachment=74862:2011_031...rman0009.JPG]

Edited by bassace

Hi Bassace, Hope all's well with you!
Yes, still very much got mine! Yours is the same shape as mine but with gloss finish, and mine was said to be about 1960 built.
I have to say that if yours sounds anything like mine then that is a bargain price! I know of a jazz player/teacher in Leeds who I'll tell about this, in fact I'm on the blower to him now and you know Geoff anyway!
What's the string length? Mine is an enormous 108cm, bigger than a Stentor full size!

[quote name='keeponehandloose' post='1163541' date='Mar 15 2011, 07:20 PM']Long shot here,but if the pick up is a Rev Solo 1 (not the latest version) would you consider selling it on its own?[/quote]

Sorry, but not for now. PM sent.

Thanks for the endorsements, Geoff and Hubrad. The string length is 104cm so Hub's Meinel must be a good 7/8. I know that there are some big ones about.

By the way, sorry about the photos everybody. My dear late father used to take holidy snaps with lamp posts sticking out of people's heads and I seem to be following that noble tradition.