Why become a member? ×

Sadowsky

Aussiephoenix

Hey guys.

I've had a chance to try out some NYC's and a Metro, and truth be told I didn't see THAT much difference...

I'm completely at a loss for the Tokyo series...

Can anyone enlighten me on the Tokyo line history, and make some kind of comparison as far as construction/sound quality in relation to the other two?

Cheers.

The line from Roger Sadowsky is that the quality between the two is equal and that the only reason to order an NYC bass is if you want custom options (such as a flamed top). Even then, the Metro's are becoming more 'custom'. I have a Precision Hybrid en route as we speak- P Body, P and J pups and J neck. There's some really good artciles about NYC v Metro if you do a search on Talkbass.

My NYC seems to be abit lighter than the Metros I've played, theres not much in it though.

I belive the now dufunct Tokyo series have a standard size jazz body (Sadowskys are normally slightly undersized) and the pickups are placed in the '70's Fender position. The tokyo's sound more like a '70's Jazz than the 'standard' Sadowskys.

I'm a massive Sadowsky fan, in my eye's they are all fine basses at the top of their game.

[quote name='Lee-Man' post='12941' date='Jun 6 2007, 11:43 AM']My NYC seems to be abit lighter than the Metros I've played, theres not much in it though.

I belive the now dufunct Tokyo series have a standard size jazz body (Sadowskys are normally slightly undersized) and the pickups are placed in the '70's Fender position. The tokyo's sound more like a '70's Jazz than the 'standard' Sadowskys.

I'm a massive Sadowsky fan, in my eye's they are all fine basses at the top of their game.[/quote]

The Tokyos are active/passive as usual for Sadowskies right?

I imagine the preamp and the pups themselves are the same build and the truer 70's jazz sound is mainly from the body diference and the pup placement...

[quote name='Aussiephoenix' post='12961' date='Jun 6 2007, 12:12 PM']The Tokyos are active/passive as usual for Sadowskies right?

I imagine the preamp and the pups themselves are the same build and the truer 70's jazz sound is mainly from the body diference and the pup placement...[/quote]

I think the pick up placement has the most effect on the sound. I can't remember if they have the active/passive switch, but it's not a hard mod if they don't.

[quote name='Aussiephoenix' post='12961' date='Jun 6 2007, 12:12 PM']The Tokyos are active/passive as usual for Sadowskies right?

I imagine the preamp and the pups themselves are the same build and the truer 70's jazz sound is mainly from the body diference and the pup placement...[/quote]

The pickups on mine are Sadowsky single coils. The preamp is the standard Sadowsky preamp: Volume, Balance, Treble Cut/Boost, Bass Boost/pull for passive mode.

I think i heard somewhere that the Metro's replaced the Tokoyos as Roger wasn't happy with the luthiers work after a period...but that may not be true. I would rather have a Tokoyo than a Metro though, i prefer their sound.

Just as a slight side point, the guy who made the Tokoyo range is the same guy who makes the Atelier Z basses...and they kick ass!!!