Why become a member? ×

a few questions on the aguilar GS112

matt_citizenbass

hey,
im looking for a new cab probably at the end of this month.
preferably i'd want a 4ohm cab but this cab is mainly for the next year or so until i can get a car/van and also currently my drummers room (where my band practice) is up 4 flights of stairs so i want something small!

now, this is almost a stupid question but if i buy an aguilar GS112 is it really going to cut through the mix and produce a nice tone compared to a 410 or something of a similar price range. i know you guys are always going on about it, i guess i have to hear and see it to believe it. but logic tells me " well its a bit bigger than a marshall mgfx10 watt amp so it must sound like that"

also is it really worth buying the one with the tweeter in? is there much difference? and can the cab really be driven? i know its good for really nice smooth tones and slap etc but i require full range heavily distorted bass so i wanna know if you think it'll sound alright/ not give way.

and lastly the cab is 8 ohms and is about 300 watts ( correct me if i am wrong) and the hartke 3500 is about 180-200 watts at 8ohms is this enough headroom or should i be looking for more?

phew, sorry , essay over.

matt

Edited by matt_citizenbass

I used to take just one of my two GS112 cabs to practice and it performs surprisingly well - especially considering that the drummer is the hard rock 4/4 type who doesnt know the meaning of "soft". In fact he was the one who remarked how good it sounded. Most of the time I think the tweeter isnt needed for the sound that I want, but considering its very little extra money and you can turn it down if you want I'd say get one with it so you have the option. I dont use distortion other than messing about at home, but the Aguilars seem to handle a Zoom Ultra Fuzz at moderate volume without a problem.

Only difference is I'm using mine with a Markbass LMK (so 300W into 8ohm) which does feel like a good match - no idea how well the Hartke would drive it.

Bit of food for thought...

J

Matt,

I also have two GS 112's and I just love 'em. I have never had any probs at all cutting through the mix and although I've never tried the NT version, I'd certainly go for the tweeter if it's going to be your only cab.

Re driving it. I use mine with an Eden WT400 which pushes out something in the region of 270W into 8Ohms. I have to admit that sometimes, if playing in a loud environment the amp can clip a bit, but I think this might be a cone area issue rather than an amp insufficiency issue (if that makes sense!). The cab(s) have never even been close to fuzzing up on me. I have occasionally wondered about getting a head with a bit more juice, but just love the Eden.

I use my LMII(300w @ 8 ohms) into the 8 ohm Ag GS112 & it works fine & cuts thru a drummer fine. BUT no way would it compare to a 4x10 cab simply due to it being ONE 12" driver!!!! I've found it CAN be a bit small for a LOUD band, but generally, at rehearsals, the GS112 is fine & handles the volume easily. 2x GS112's IS 4 x as good tho! :-)

[quote name='matt_citizenbass' post='134877' date='Feb 6 2008, 10:46 AM']..... i dont want to spend all that money only to find out that the cab starts to struggle when i crank it.[/quote]

Matt,

like I said in my first post, it isn't the cab that stuggles in a louder setting, it's that my amp doesn't have enough juice to put through it. As rodl2005 said, it's only one 12" cone, that's the issue. I really think if I had the WT550, it wouldn't be a problem.

Edited by Rumble