Why become a member? ×

What's the finish on your Lakland neck like?

P-T-P

So I love my DJ5 and a while back I bought another DJ5 but the feel of the neck on that one was just not the same but I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was.

Both before and since getting my DJ5 I've owned several other Lakland Skyline series basses and on Saturday I took the plunge again and bought a 55-02 from a fellow Basschatter. Where I'd previously put the different feel of the 55-01/2 and JO5 necks down to the slightly different dimensions to the DJ5 neck (fingerboard radius in particular), this new 55-02 feels almost identiacal to my DJ5 and I'm loving it.

What I've realised now is that my DJ5 and this new 55-02 seem to have a lacquered neck finish, not as heavy a lacuer as on the classic Fenders, but a definite layer of something that ain't wood!

Thinking back, the second DJ5 I bought and then sold, didn't have this and I'm sure none of the other Laklands did (with the exception of a 55-01 fretless I had for a while). When I was at the SE Bass Bass selling said DJ5, there were a number of other Laklands there, some of which I tried, and there was at least one DJ4 that had a similarly lacquered neck.

The un-lacquered necks no doubt do have some kind of finish on them, but i@m guessing it's more of a MMan oiled type affair and they feel wood-like to the touch.

Am I just losing it completely or can anyone shed some light on this? What does the neck finish on your Lakland feel like - slightly glossy and finished or more natural and woody?

I wonder if there's a point in time where they made a conscious change. Wonder also how the necks on their US instruments are finished.

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='133565' date='Feb 4 2008, 01:19 PM']The JO5 I bought feels almost "satin" if you get me.

Certainly not a high polish finish, so I actually prefer it to my jazz.[/quote]

My 55-01 feels the same. In fact its very similar to my HW-One P but very different to my HW-1 Jazz
that has a very glossy feel to it.

The finish on my DJ5 neck is definately satin laquer - not that much different to my 2004 MIA Precision - guess a bit lighter on the %gloss. It's definitely not an oil finish like a MM, it's closer to the original finish of a 1990 'Ray I had (before endless playing made it glossy).

The satin lacquer is standard on these basses. When I bought my DJ5 (long since sold to a member of this board), I took it to the factory and asked them to strip the finish and put an oil finish on it like the US series. This is normally an upcharge on the Skylines.