Why become a member? ×

4 string Burr Elm Diary

scojack

All native wood too, well the body anyway.
Swithering on changing to a plain ebony fb now though to tone it down a tad, the elm and Galves together is maybe a bit busy. :)

we'll see ...

thnks for the gd comments !

IanM

Edited by scojack

• 1 month later...

Slow Progres ....
Not a lot of time for this at the moment but im plodding along ...

Cut the slots and bound an ebony fb with Flamed Maple ..

Changed the neck completely ... It now has walnut in the middle, Goncalo Alves then Br Mahogany on the edges.

Had to see the final effect of all the veneering ...
Machines are sunk in.

Back ..

forearm cut ..

Edited by scojack

I keep finding such good uses for it (Goncalo Alves) !! :)
A much under-rated hardwood imho. :)

there was a ton of the stuff on ebay a while back. is that where you had it from? it got snapped up pretty quick. i got one board, it was so hard on the bandsaw, and sooo heavy! fingerboards look cool. [quote name='scojack' date='May 9 2011, 08:59 AM' post='1224784']

Edited by lettsguitars

I keep finding such good uses for it (Goncalo Alves) !! :)
A much under-rated hardwood imho. :)

there was a ton of the stuff on ebay a while back. is that where you had it from? it got snapped up pretty quick. i got one board, it was so hard on the bandsaw, and sooo heavy! fingerboards look cool.

Probably was.... i got a good price for buying a few boards .
Its pretty versatile though, fingerboards, necks, neck splices etc so not a bad buy at all.

Edited by scojack

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='scojack' post='1235363' date='May 18 2011, 10:45 AM']Thanks ahpook !

Now nutted and fretted, just waiting on neck ferrules and a bridge to arrive this week and
the final push is on.

Hope the images are showing ok.

IanM[/quote]
That looks stunning in every way, do you sell them or is this one for your own consumption?

Realy realy nice bit of poshwood :)

How did you attach the veneer to the pickups Ian? Im assuming its veneer onto plastic casing? If so are you conserned about the movement of the veneer on a very stable surface like plastic?

A

Thanks Giblett your comments are very much appreciated :-)
This one has a customer, i have only just taken this lutherie malarky up again after a long long gap, anyhoo... i was intending to build one or two for sale this year and maybe another EUB but unfortunately events have overtaken me and i am now having to rennovate then move to a new house, so time has become well limited. When i'm settled into the new (bigger) shed we'll see how it goes ......

Apa - what you see here are hollow wooden shells which are made from walnut with the burr elm veneer (still to be thinned down a bit btw ) on top.
The pickups themselves will be housed inside.

IanM

Edited by scojack

[quote name='scojack' post='1235882' date='May 18 2011, 03:51 PM']Thanks Giblett your comments are very much appreciated :-)
I have only fairly recently taken this lutherie malarcy up again after a 20 odd year gap, never had the premises up till now. I was intending to build one or two for sale this year but unfortunately events have overtaken me and i am now having to rennovate then move to a new house, so time has become well limited. When i'm settled into the new (bigger) shed we'll see how it goes ......

Apa - what you see here are hollow wooden shells which are made from walnut with the burr elm veneer (still to be thinned down a bit btw ) on top.
The pickups themselves will be housed inside.

IanM[/quote]

Ahhh right so they will be loose covers that dont need to be attached?

A

Yes.. the pickup screws will hold the cases and pickups together in place.
You could stick a little silicone in to hold both together but i dont think theres any need.

I'll do a pic of them to let you see the back.
IanM

Edited by scojack

• 2 months later...