Why become a member? ×

Buying a bass in UK for £1500/$3000. Help Needed.

Mikey D

I have been looking for a long time now for an inexpensive double bass to go through the rest of uni with me. I have just completed my first year studying jazz at a conservatoire in the UK and have had enough of playing the shoddy basses we have here. I want my own.

I need a good value, good quality upright for about £1500. Funds are extremely tight being a student, also time is a slight factor as the more I have to play these poor basses the more I actually get put off playing.

The two I am most interested in are the Uptons, going by all the comments, however, I would be unable to try them. I also really like the actual look and finish of these instruments compared to almost all other basses i have seen.

I have emailed upton and they have been very helpful regarding shipping to the UK etc.

The costs would be:
Upton Laminate $1900 @ +$450 s/h = £1180 +20% tax and duty = @ £1415
Upton Hybrid $2900 @ +$450 s/h = £1680 +20% tax and duty = @ £2015

Currently I am being swayed towards the Laminate, but is the hybrid worth the extra £600 it would cost?

Alternatively, are there any serious options in the UK? Because £1415 is quite a bit for a laminate, but not if it is that much better in quality than say the stentors etc.

I need to decide soon as I would like the bass before starting next september and there are obviously build times to consider.

Comments?

Erm without stating the obvious: Why the heck are you looking in the US for a double bass? Importing in that direction is like trying to sell cheap basses to China, it flows the other way!

These things are very labour intensive to make and heavy, so anything made there and imported will be very expensive. Eastern Europe is the place to get a bass made that will be high quality but low cost, and you might not even have to pay VAT if it's in one of the newly joined countries. From what I understand many of the Czech luthiers have been making orchestral intruments in their families for centuries!

Anyway for UK dealer, when I looked around at double basses a year ago,this place was really helpful and they clearly knew what they were talking about:

[url="http://www.contrabass.co.uk"]http://www.contrabass.co.uk[/url]

I'd try them first.

Other than that I would particulary like one of these for £1500 on ebay:
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/An-Amazing-Deluxe-Flamed-Double-Bass-3-4-size_W0QQitemZ130121146879QQihZ003QQcategoryZ16222QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/An-Amazing-Deluxe-Fl...oQQcmdZViewItem[/url]

[quote name='dood' post='13010' date='Jun 6 2007, 01:18 PM']Is it specifically an DB you want or will an EUB be ok?[/quote]
Has to be DB.

[quote name='Alpha-Dave' post='13065' date='Jun 6 2007, 03:08 PM']Erm without stating the obvious: Why the heck are you looking in the US for a double bass? Importing in that direction is like trying to sell cheap basses to China, it flows the other way!

These things are very labour intensive to make and heavy, so anything made there and imported will be very expensive. Eastern Europe is the place to get a bass made that will be high quality but low cost, and you might not even have to pay VAT if it's in one of the newly joined countries. From what I understand many of the Czech luthiers have been making orchestral intruments in their families for centuries!

Anyway for UK dealer, when I looked around at double basses a year ago,this place was really helpful and they clearly knew what they were talking about:

[url="http://www.contrabass.co.uk"]http://www.contrabass.co.uk[/url]

I'd try them first.

Other than that I would particulary like one of these for £1500 on ebay:
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/An-Amazing-Deluxe-Flamed-Double-Bass-3-4-size_W0QQitemZ130121146879QQihZ003QQcategoryZ16222QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/An-Amazing-Deluxe-Fl...oQQcmdZViewItem[/url]

[/quote]

Yeah I have an email I am about to send to all the UK shops. Just tried a chinese import to germany, a Gewa, was alright, nothing special (I loved the dark finish though). Just over £1100 for that. Then tried two carved chinese £2500 basses, one hardly used, the other more so...completely different ball park of sound and projection etc. I am tempted to save that extra bit and wait for a better quality bass.

The reason i am looking at shipping from America is because everyone I have talked to have said that nothing compares to the uptons in the £1000-£2000 price range, but I am looking at alternatives over here. Ideally not the stentors, zellers etc. Because I haven't played one yet that i like. But then again I haven't tried their Elysia range. Yet.

Can anybody recommend a few european suppliers then? Because I would love not to pay the 20% duty! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I am a new member to the site but I am not going to be around for long since we are about to ship out to Canada. I have been trying to sell my double bass for a few months on musicalinstrumentsales.co.uk at a price of £1,850 but no takers yet so in the final months before I leave I am prepared to drop my price to £1,500 - which is quite a lot less than I paid for it.

It is a very attractive instrument which I bought new 4 years ago and it has been used regularly as an orchestral bass but my pal who is a jazz bassist considers it a good jazz instrument as well.

Have a look at it on musicalinstrumentsales.co.uk It is the Michael Poller bass and I am living in North Yorkshire. If you want to talk about it give me a call on 01423 540204

John Sharratt

[quote name='Mikey D' post='12988' date='Jun 6 2007, 01:02 PM']I have been looking for a long time now for an inexpensive double bass to go through the rest of uni with me. I have just completed my first year studying jazz at a conservatoire in the UK and have had enough of playing the shoddy basses we have here. I want my own.

I need a good value, good quality upright for about £1500. Funds are extremely tight being a student, also time is a slight factor as the more I have to play these poor basses the more I actually get put off playing.

The two I am most interested in are the Uptons, going by all the comments, however, I would be unable to try them. I also really like the actual look and finish of these instruments compared to almost all other basses i have seen.

I have emailed upton and they have been very helpful regarding shipping to the UK etc.

The costs would be:
Upton Laminate $1900 @ +$450 s/h = £1180 +20% tax and duty = @ £1415
Upton Hybrid $2900 @ +$450 s/h = £1680 +20% tax and duty = @ £2015

Currently I am being swayed towards the Laminate, but is the hybrid worth the extra £600 it would cost?

Alternatively, are there any serious options in the UK? Because £1415 is quite a bit for a laminate, but not if it is that much better in quality than say the stentors etc.

I need to decide soon as I would like the bass before starting next september and there are obviously build times to consider.

Comments?[/quote]

Quite right! I bought the bass new from Beare & Sons in DUnstable and the net price was £1455 but this does not include VAT, so the full price is £1,710. I understand that the price has not gone up since I bought it but of course an instrument which has been played in is generally regard as better than a brand new one. I have had the bridge and setting adjusted to ensure a good action. The full price I paid including the case, some quality strings and the bow was £1,660 and I have a receipt dated 4/8/04 from Beare and Sons. Michael Poller is a Romanian maker with a good reputation. [quote name='Mikey D' post='20807' date='Jun 20 2007, 03:21 PM']Can you tell me abit more about about this instrument, because as far as I am aware Michael Poller 3/4 carved double basses are only about £1450 new!?[/quote]

Looks quite a nice instrument for the money that...! Although I feel the price is a little high, though if it is mint it should be about right. Mr Overwater (Chris May) took my £££ though :) :huh: Ohwell, I have a DB in mind at the moment.
Those Chinese ones look quite sexy actually, and I believe that they are of good quality too. The Chinese are going to be like the Japanese are now in a few years probably, turning out some serious pieces of kit! I would be very tempted to go for that one posted above maybe...!!

Good luck man,
Matt

Edited by overwater#1

I have heard glowing reviews from a local teacher (and former RSNO member) about the eBay violins and violas- he bought several to sell to students, and ended up keeping one and selling the other on at a profit if I recall correctly. Sadly I've heard nowt about the basses.

You could also check out [url="http://www.urbbob.com/doublebass.html"]Bob Gollihur's Bulgarian basses.[/url] I recently took delivery of one of his full size five strings which set me back about £1700 all in- a normal size four string would be a few hundred squid less I think. I'm quite pleased with mine, especially for a good pizz sound- the bow sounds a little harsh but I think different strings (when I can afford them) or possibly a rehair of my bow may help that out. Its certainly very resonant, even brand new.

There is a huge hole in the market in the UK between the sub £1000 "student" instruments and the £3000ish mark- hopefully these new Chinese imports will be more widely avilable sometime soon.

• 2 weeks later...

About my Michael Poller double bass - I have been talking with a professional bass player who knows my instrument and she recommends that I should let the instrument go for £1,500 or maybe a bit less. SInce I am going to be stuck with shipping it if it has not sold by the end of July I am prepared to let it go for £1350 if you are interested. This is definitely my lowest price since it will be cheaper to ship than let it go for less. I am going to drop the price on the web to £1500 to see if I can sell it.

Not sure where you live but I could bring it to you if you cannot get to North Yorkshire.

johnatkimbers

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Johnatkimbers' post='24858' date='Jun 29 2007, 12:55 PM']About my Michael Poller double bass - I have been talking with a professional bass player who knows my instrument and she recommends that I should let the instrument go for £1,500 or maybe a bit less. SInce I am going to be stuck with shipping it if it has not sold by the end of July I am prepared to let it go for £1350 if you are interested. This is definitely my lowest price since it will be cheaper to ship than let it go for less. I am going to drop the price on the web to £1500 to see if I can sell it.

Not sure where you live but I could bring it to you if you cannot get to North Yorkshire.
johnatkimbers[/quote]

Does it have to have sold by the end of July. I am in Harrogate on 28th September, playing at the National Brass Band finals. If it is still around, I may have a try, although I am quite a bit off £1350. I would like to try it all the same though. If it were around a bit longer I could possibly save up and get it, as I need one! :)

Thanks.
Matt

[quote name='overwater#1' post='33696' date='Jul 18 2007, 03:50 PM']Does it have to have sold by the end of July. I am in Harrogate on 28th September, playing at the National Brass Band finals. If it is still around, I may have a try, although I am quite a bit off £1350. I would like to try it all the same though. If it were around a bit longer I could possibly save up and get it, as I need one! :)

Thanks.
Matt[/quote]
Hi Matt,
John was at my gig last night and told me he'd decided to ship the bass to Canada.

Have you gone off the ply bass?

[quote name='overwater#1' post='33696' date='Jul 18 2007, 03:50 PM']Does it have to have sold by the end of July. I am in Harrogate on 28th September, playing at the National Brass Band finals. If it is still around, I may have a try, although I am quite a bit off £1350. I would like to try it all the same though. If it were around a bit longer I could possibly save up and get it, as I need one! :)

Thanks.
Matt[/quote]

Sorry Matt Mr Bassman is right. It will be packed up on August 14 since we leave a few days later. So it seems certain that it is bound for Canada.

John

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='33811' date='Jul 18 2007, 07:29 PM']Hi Matt,
John was at my gig last night and told me he'd decided to ship the bass to Canada.

Have you gone off the ply bass?[/quote]
No no, I was just curious..keeping my options open.. :)

Still interested in ply bass so far, going to speak to Pete next week though to see if he will be selling his carved bass, and for how much, as obviously I would prefer a carved bass, especially for the price he mentioned! Will see though...

Cheers,
Matt

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest subaudio

Hi

I have a Zeller carved top lam sides for sale here if your intrested

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3918"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3918[/url]