Why become a member? ×

A Precision / Jazz dilema!!!

bassjamm

Hi guys,

Following on from my thread in December regarding r'n'b bassageness...the result being a new amp of vintage ampeg goodness :) I now seek further advice!!!

I'm still GAS'in for a new bass. I'm almost certain i want a Fenderesque bass, so a Precision or Jazz, and if possible, a vintage or early 90's Jap one. I'd love to get a Mike Lull, and i know i can get them fairly reasonably priced, but no less than £1300, and that's not practical at the moment...should have about £500 to spend when all is settled on the money side of things!

I figure my options are:
70's Precision that's had a rough deal in life
Jap 90's Precision...seen a beauty
Jap 90's Jazz...also seen a beauty.

Now the thing is...i've always been a jazz man since turning into a Fender lover, but i sold mine last year, shame but needs must, and having been done some more learning, research, listening, and teasting...i've fallen in love with Precisions!!! I just love the fullness of them with the tone rolled off, the thump and thud, the depth...very r'n'b and black sounding!!! But i love the feel and look of a Jazz!!! Whilst i've not played one, i think a P/J set-up would suit my needs, but i'm not much of a mod-doer, and i'm pretty funny about looks! I guess sound is the most important thing, and i'm after a big black r'n'b sound!!!

What do you all reckon. I'm just torn...i'm tempted by the 70's Precision that's up for grabs on here that's had a bit of wear, i love the whole worn thing, but would a straight Precision suit do you think, or would a P/J be better...if i got a cheap vintage P would a J installment be a good idea? As above, i've seen an awesomely beautiful Jap P, wouldn't want to tinker with it, but's just awesome!!! And the Jap Jazz is really up my street...but would the Jazz pickups get me that full sound my ears crave? It is an alder with rosewood...so a lot less honky i would have thought than your average ash/maple?

I know it's a case of going out and playing them...but i can't really do that with the spread of geographic locations. The 2 Precisions are within trying distance.

If i'm honest, the nicest live sound i've heard for ages was a vintage Precision with a Jazz pickup. Also, i'm currently using my F Bass Studio 5, which, all in all, is a ballsy Jazz, but it's got the whole humbucker option, which i'm using at the moment to get some nice thickness!!! I still plan to use this...but i just want a simple bass for once...volume...tone...4 strings :huh:

Just me having a fit i guess...but thought i'd share it with you all ;)

Thanks in advance my fellow funksters!!!

J

[quote name='nash' post='133983' date='Feb 4 2008, 11:14 PM']get a p-bass[/quote]

Is that just personal opinion or your views on what i've said...lol!

I must admit...having had a look at all three, whilst i'd love the vintage beast, if i went without food for the next month i could probably get both of the Jap's, so a P and a J, lol...but i wouldn't have a house to live in due to parental friction :) Still...it's an option, hehe!

If you're after a P/J, why not try an aerodyne jazz? I have one with wizard overwound pickups and it is LUSH! Plenty dark with the P pickup, but roll the volume back on the p and turn the jazz bridge pup up full and it's all burpy and snarly! The more I play it the more I love it.

Yep, seems like your torn bassjamm :) I think either J or P would be fine to use if it's the RnB thing your looking for...maybe go for a rosewood board, and you could try flats on either for that big thud you want. CIJ basses are lighter in weight than MIA maybe that's something to consider. I find the J more tonally versatile than a P but still both are great basses, pickups etc can always be changed if the stock ones don't give you that thud. There isn't much more to say really about Fender basses, they is what they is.

Get a Jazz :huh:

[quote name='Nick80' post='134018' date='Feb 4 2008, 11:56 PM']If you're after a P/J, why not try an aerodyne jazz? I have one with wizard overwound pickups and it is LUSH! Plenty dark with the P pickup, but roll the volume back on the p and turn the jazz bridge pup up full and it's all burpy and snarly! The more I play it the more I love it.[/quote]

What he said. :)

[quote name='Leowasright' post='134077' date='Feb 5 2008, 07:57 AM']Get a Precision and put a Jazz neck on it! :)

On the other hand, I have never seen a Jazz with a Precision pickup (apart from those PJ things 20 years ago)

David H[/quote]

The Fender Mark Hoppus has a P pup in a Jazz body not sure what the neck profile is.

I'd say jump one way or another. I used a fine 73 PJ (was fretless, though) and despite trying loads of pickups, I could never get a PJ combo that "worked". Either one on its own was fine, but they were very different sounds and needed some amp tweaking, so it was never that useful in a gig. Eventually, I realized that dear Leo never intended the P to work with a J. Had the same experience with a Streamer Stage I.

These days I see them as two different things - a trad P with flats is a wonderful thing, but so is a J with rounds. Depends on the gig.

Sorry if that didn't help, but it has taken me 25 years to get there........

BB

Thanks for the input guys!

With reference to the Aero' Fenders...i'm sorry, but they're just not my bag at all. I'm not into the look what so ever of them, and from the ones i've played, the feel isn't my idea of fun.

I'm definately loving the older basses, early 90's and older. The thought of a P/J does interest me, but i wouldn't want a super modded one, i'd want good old simplicity, so if it were a vintage Precision, an old Jazz pup on there etc, i'm a bit backward about my basses, they have to be just right.

As for getting a Jazz, i'm kind of thinking it's not really a step forward as my F Bass can do it so well, but it's not exactly a Precision of steroids! The Jazz basses do have a wicked sound though.

What could i expect to hear from an Alder bodied jazz with a rosewood board then? I've not played this combo before.

[quote name='Leowasright' post='134077' date='Feb 5 2008, 07:57 AM']Get a Precision and put a Jazz neck on it! :)

On the other hand, I have never seen a Jazz with a Precision pickup (apart from those PJ things 20 years ago)

David H[/quote]

Thats what i did. Got a HW-1 Jazz neck on my HW-One P. Love it. That also mean i have a P neck on my Jazz. I dont use it though. just cant get on with a P neck at the moment.

bassjamn, have you considered a HW-One? they are under £500 with gig bag and very playable. The P has a 70's style headstock so looks a bit vintage (plus it has a vintage pup). Not sure how accurate it is but it sounds really nice.

EDIT: Actually, after reading the first post i had forgotten the HW-One's have the grease bucket tone circuit. This might actually be a bad idea for getting a warmer P sound as it stops the lows from being boosted when the tone control is backed of. It keeps the sound clearer but looses slightly that vintage, warm tone IMO.

Edited by dave_bass5

i've got a fender precision special deluxe - p bass body, jazz bass neck, P+J pups - a pretty good all rounder though not sure if they make them any more but i'm sure s/h ones turn up.

theres also a couple of these on the bay at the mo.....

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Jazz-Reggie-Hamilton-Signature-Bass_W0QQitemZ150212659407QQihZ005QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]reggie hamilton jazz[/url]

peace

c

Edited by 3V17C

They've got one here, or so it seems anyway >>
[url="http://www.rockingrooster.co.uk/product_info.php?PID=364"]http://www.rockingrooster.co.uk/product_info.php?PID=364[/url]

Looks real nice in Black/Maple with a gold anodized Pickguard.

Fender's lineup doesn't include the Precision Special Deluxe or the Active version anymore :)

Some shops might still have stock though...

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='3V17C' post='134181' date='Feb 5 2008, 11:11 AM']i've got a fender precision special deluxe - p bass body, jazz bass neck, P+J pups - a pretty good all rounder though not sure if they make them any more but i'm sure s/h ones turn up.

c[/quote]

I've got one too. Great bass. The pickups are American standards so as long as you get a good example I reckon they beat the Jap basses. The neck on mine as good as any newish MIA or MIJ I've tried in shops.

[quote name='eude' post='134223' date='Feb 5 2008, 12:06 PM']They've got one here, or so it seems anyway >>
[url="http://www.rockingrooster.co.uk/product_info.php?PID=364"]http://www.rockingrooster.co.uk/product_info.php?PID=364[/url]

Looks real nice in Black/Maple with a gold anodized Pickguard.

Fender's lineup doesn't include the Precision Special Deluxe or the Active version anymore :)

Some shops might still have stock though...

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

Yeah, they don't make em - the active ones come with the gold scratchplate, and the maple 'board, the passive ones with silver and rosewood.

Edited by bigjohn

This is turning into a Precision vs Jazz lovers thread, lol!!!

My fear of going for the Jazz would be that i don't actually need another Jazz bass, as the F Bass has that ground covered, but then again, i guess it also has a pretty mean Precision sound too!

All of my current listening has been on the whole old school funk/r'n'b and acid jazz side of things. I can tell the Jazz users, it's a much pokier sound, which is nice, but i'm after that low, under-pinning sub bass kind of sound, round and warm. Can a Jazz, favouring the neck pickup, achieve this? Maybe if i were to get a jazz a do the classic...add a small piece of foam under the strings at the bridge for some thuddy funk delight?

Any thoughts on that?

[quote name='bassjamm' post='134865' date='Feb 6 2008, 10:20 AM']Can a Jazz, favouring the neck pickup, achieve this? Maybe if i were to get a jazz a do the classic...add a small piece of foam under the strings at the bridge for some thuddy funk delight?

Any thoughts on that?[/quote]

I think part of the P sound is also the fact the pup is split so the lower two strings are a bit fuller (being slightly further away from the bridge).
I used a Jazz for two years after going from a P and i was happy with the sound of the Jazz in a band context and got used to it. But once i got another P
I realised how non P sounding my jazz really was.

IME of course

Edited by dave_bass5