Why become a member? ×

Boogie Bass 400+ channel question?

Geddys nose

Thanks mate!

I never used both channels at once on mine actually, but I think using an ABY box would be nice and tidy, although I think using a splitter cable will yield the same results. Rock on

As the current owner of Peds old 400 + ( I thank you every night I play ) can I ask WHY you'd want to run both channels together, what do you expect to achieve. They sound so different to each other, not to mention the difference in volume.

Can I also ask what valves you have in yours ?? I was thinking about replacing mine with the original boogie valves when these expire ( I DO miss the original purple haze out back, but not to the tune of a few hundred squildies to replace them prematurely) , Ped can you remind me what these current valves are ?

These are great amps aren't they ??

S

[quote name='bassbluestew' post='5302' date='May 23 2007, 07:56 PM']As the current owner of Peds old 400 +[/quote]

He bought it from me and I bought it from Basszilla :) Lemme know if you want to sell it BTW.

Stu, the valves in it now are a matched set of Harma 5881 tubes from Watford Valves. they are biased perfectly for the 400+ and subject to a long burn in time and bench test before being sent over. i don't think they have any sets left now.

Cheers Ped, I KNEW you'd know. I have no intention of changing the valves btw, just really liked the purple boogie haze is all. :)

Crazykiwi - good to hear my amp has such an esteemed pedigree. It's obviously been well looked after. I don't have any plans to sell it, but never say never, so I'll give you first dibs if I do. I have to say I HAVE had a few offers from Chaterrers / Talkers over the past months.

I still have gas for a rig I played in Germany last year ( Ampeg SVT2 Pro -> Ampeg PR410HLF ). It was a killer sound on a HUGE Stage. I'd love to hear it again tho'. I'd also love to hear my 400+ with the PR410HLF cab...........mmmmmmmmm.

Bloody gas..........it's a killer !

S

Hi Ped well I'm about to order a A-B-Y pedal then I've got 3 channels to play with especially if I set the 2 channels quite far apart in the tone department, as for running the two channels together I've been told a few times it gives a really awesome fat tone and is the only way to run this amp so must be worth a try :lol:Stu- at the 'mo I've got Sylvania 6L6GC's and a couple of Mesa's in sounds good to me but not too happy with the mismatch of tubes(might change the Mesa's) but hey the Amp only cost me £500 and after my Roland DB900 sounds really good to my deaf ears.Theres a good review of tubes on-

[url="http://www.watfordvalves.com/cgi-bin/documents/testreport_35.pdf"]http://www.watfordvalves.com/cgi-bin/docum...streport_35.pdf[/url]

your Harmas are the dogs dangly's according to this! Check out this link too-

[url="http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/index.php?language=en"]http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/index.php?language=en[/url]

Some good prices Cheers Si

Hi Si,

Glad you like the amp. They really are very sweet! The thing I found with the two channels is that they sounded a little bit different but not different enough to warrant a footswitch - after all they share the eq settings from the front panel so you cannot assign one to use the eq and the other not to. I read the same thing about running both at once but to be honest I loved it for its clean tube sound, overdrive is not my thing at all.

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on!!

ped