Why become a member? ×

Sleepy's 'No mention of Wooten or Jaco' thread!

Cantdosleepy

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='13025' date='Jun 6 2007, 12:46 PM']In this thread there will be no mention of Jaco or Billy Sheehan or that guy from Dream Theater, Whoops.

Well, I tried.[/quote]

Actually his name is John Myung, not Whoops :)

Hamster

Actually i was totally unimpressed with his video. Some are destined to teach, I suspect John had a fair amount of pressure to do it, being in 'his situation'.

OK, well I guess we haven't mentioned his name a few times already.. so I won't go ahead and name a few tunes. Actually.. I am having trouble picking just one song. One of DT's gig set mainstays is a track called Metropolis, from the Images and Words album. Not actually one of my favourites, but there are some great passages in it, along with the obligatory tapping bass solo.

How ever, for daft dexterity, there is 'The dance of Eternity' from 'Scenes From A Memory', an instrumental with more time changes than british rail. ummm.. there are so many! 'Change Of Seasons', 'Octavarium' , a few tracks from the album 'Falling into Infinity' where John plays the Chapman Stick.. errr .. I think the best way to get an idea of their stuff would be to buy any of the recent live DVDs. Live at the Budokan or 'score' are very much recommended, as is the slightly older 'Metropolis 200: Scenes From A Memory' show.

If you look at Johns fingers on his right hand.. I swear they are all the same length!! lol!!

[quote name='guitarnbass' post='13132' date='Jun 6 2007, 04:47 PM']Name me an interesting John Myung bassline or solo. I haven't heard his stuff, just seen his video, which wasn't very good.[/quote]

Check out the solo in dance of eternity

Their new DT album which came out on Monday is excellent.

Am gonna see Mr Myung and DT on saturday in Newcastle

:)

G

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='13481' date='Jun 7 2007, 10:24 AM']Won't somebody please think of the children!

Damn your eyes, Dood![/quote]

lol lol!!! Please forgive me!

*whispers* Jaco would have played a six string.. probably fretless.

[quote name='dood' post='13684' date='Jun 7 2007, 04:42 PM']lol lol!!! Please forgive me!
*whispers* Jaco would have played a six string.. probably fretless.[/quote]

well I think Jaco played better when he had long hair, but then again all bass players play better when they have long hair (doesn't have to be theirs though)...

Edited by MacDaddy