Why become a member? ×

Shuker Build Cost

funkle

Hi all.

I am seriously considering asking Jon Shuker to build me a custom instrument. However, before I go to him, I'd like to have an idea of what to budget.

The Jazz builds in the forums here have been great, and would be similar to what I am looking for. I was wondering if anyone who has had one built would mind contacting me to let me know the ballpark region of what they had to pay? I need to consider selling some basses to fund this, so any info would be of great help.

PM me if you consider it inappropriate to post in the public forum.

Mods - if this needs to be moved, please feel free to do so.....

Thanks all for your help!

Pete

I bought half of one of Jon's stock basses , the whole of which was advertised on his site at £850.

I had the pup changed and a complete diff. spec neck made to fit the existing body. I also had LED side dots so the vol pot was changed to push/pull to switch them on and off.

I paid £950 - the extra hundred quid being purely for the LEDs as Jon could use the other new parts I didn't want. That was 2 1/2 years ago.

The new spalted top and glossy body finish on my Status cost £250 - last year

The changes to my (bought used) fretless ( ie.re-positioned side markers - pickup move - new top , oiled finish - new simplified electrics - mono bridge installation) is going to be about £350