Why become a member? ×

Behringer V-Amp Pro

andy67

Anyone got one of these? if so, are they any good?

been reading a few online reviews which have been fairly positive, some reviewers even saying they are a bit better than the pod pro?? it is a third of the price of the pod - how can that be?

Some folk saying there is an online software update making it more usable and better quality sounds?

anyways...looking for something to muck about with and this appears to fit the bill - all comments and experience welcome!

andy

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='134376' date='Feb 5 2008, 02:50 PM']Yeah, I'd always wondered why it was so much less than the Line6 stuff...[/quote]

I have both, and the Line 6 is worth ten times the price of the Behringer.

The Behringer is very noisy, and it isn't a white noise type of noise - lots of low frequency thumps and crackles. And when it clips it takes the top of your head off; it makes sounds louder than the signal being clipped. The Line 6 clips gracefully.

The build quality of the Line 6 is solid, while the Behringer is flimsy. The manual of the Line 6 is carefully and clearly written. The Behringer has many sections that leave me going 'whu??? duh?' and some functions just aren't covered.

Buy the real thing, not the cheapo copy.

I have a Behringer V-Amp Pro (rackmount one) and Bass POD XT Pro (also rackmount).

I would say that the Bass POD is better for bass than the V-Amp. The POD's sounds are richer, more variable, less "digital" at times and the controls are much easier to use. The V-Amp can sound artificial at some settings and can be noisy at some settings. Also the V-Amp needs two hands free to manipulate some of the controls.

Having said that, the V-Amp is excellent value for money, has some very good sounds and also has some settings suitable for use with guitars and keyboards (useful if you play either of these too) whereas the POD is more strictly geared up for bass.

Both offer computer interfaces to the controls if you connect up to your pc. This makes programming them easier (much easier in the case of the V-Amp) as you can see ALL of the settings simultaneously.

The manual for the V-Amp is a bit bewildering at times whereas the POD one is better.

To sum up - if you want a pro sounding rig based on a modeller I would got for the POD. The better sounds and ease of use are essential in a pro-rig. If you just want a modeller to play with and perhaps do some basic recording with then the V-Amp is an excellent choice, especially if you can get a second hand one cheap !

[quote name='andy67' post='134452' date='Feb 5 2008, 03:48 PM']some good stuff folks!

however, the software upgrade reviewrs keep mentioning say it makes a huge difference to the vamp?[/quote]

If you post a link I'll try it.

Or you could buy mine and try it yourself. It has one broken control knob (did I mention the build quality is flimsy?)

[quote name='BOD2' post='134430' date='Feb 5 2008, 03:31 PM']I have a Behringer V-Amp Pro (rackmount one) and Bass POD XT Pro (also rackmount).

I would say that the Bass POD is better for bass than the V-Amp. The POD's sounds are richer, more variable, less "digital" at times and the controls are much easier to use. The V-Amp can sound artificial at some settings and can be noisy at some settings. Also the V-Amp needs two hands free to manipulate some of the controls.

Having said that, the V-Amp is excellent value for money, has some very good sounds and also has some settings suitable for use with guitars and keyboards (useful if you play either of these too) whereas the POD is more strictly geared up for bass.

Both offer computer interfaces to the controls if you connect up to your pc. This makes programming them easier (much easier in the case of the V-Amp) as you can see ALL of the settings simultaneously.

The manual for the V-Amp is a bit bewildering at times whereas the POD one is better.

To sum up - if you want a pro sounding rig based on a modeller I would got for the POD. The better sounds and ease of use are essential in a pro-rig. If you just want a modeller to play with and perhaps do some basic recording with then the V-Amp is an excellent choice, especially if you can get a second hand one cheap ![/quote]

I completely agree with nearly all of this, top banana to you for giving such a well thought-out and written review. Good effrt sir!
I had the original rackmount pod pro, then upgraded to the pod pro xt live (the floorboard one), and then got a v-amp pro (rackmount one) for £70.
I then sold both of the pods. Completely agree that the pods are probably better overall in the sound department, but for the extra cost of them, to me, i don't think they're worth it.