Why become a member? ×

Free Youtube bass lessons For beginners

Davemarks

[quote name='Davemarks' post='20323' date='Jun 19 2007, 06:17 PM']You are right - we are often encouraged to play in position and I agree it is a much more economic way to play.
Sometimes you have to stray from conventional wisdom to get a particular sound....[/quote]

True Dave and its something I go on about all the time.
My opinion is that a bass player from the likes of U2, The Police is likely to mess around with notes of bass lines until they find the correct sequence that complements other instruments. So if they decide to play an A note on the E string, instead of playing it in a different position or as an open note it must be for a reason and playing it any other way will change the song's dynamics.

• 7 months later...

By the way, I play this with a D on the A string, then open A, then B on the A string, then G on the E string, but then I go back to the B and slide up to the D which gives the the slide sound.

Having said that, I will have a go at the one string method in the video.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='Davemarks' post='13032' date='Jun 6 2007, 01:56 PM']Hey all,

I've started posting a new series of video lessons which goes through basslines from well known songs that are simple but musical and very effective.

The first one is 'With Or Without You', by U2.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOz4rXrARGc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOz4rXrARGc[/url]

It's ideal for anyone who's just picked up the bass and is also a great exercise for anyone starting to develop their technique with a plectrum.

Students - feel free to work from it and teachers, feel free to use it to help your students.

More comng soon include Smells like teen spirit (Nirvana), Walking On The Moon (The Police) and Peaches (The Stranglers).

Feel free to post more suggestions,

Dave[/quote]

Dave

This is great - I am not a beginner, but I found the reminder to use the pickup as a rest very useful. I am going to use these with my son, who is very keen to play bass.

Great Job.

• 2 months later...

"With or Without you" Wow how simple was that. I'm a begginer and picked this up in no time at all less than 10 minutes. Even started to use the box with E and A string, aswell as just the E string. Then I got the bug and started to play along with covers on you tube, how valuable is it to play along to the tune and get the timing right. Ive been tryin to play 6 string for ages and never really got anywhere, but Bass, well im a convert. I'm lovin it dudes!

Thanks for the lesson simple straightforward, just what a numpty like me needs. :)

Right then, ebay the Strat!

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Davemarks' timestamp='1181134607' post='13032']
Hey all,

I've started posting a new series of video lessons which goes through basslines from well known songs that are simple but musical and very effective.

The first one is 'With Or Without You', by U2.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOz4rXrARGc[/media]

It's ideal for anyone who's just picked up the bass and is also a great exercise for anyone starting to develop their technique with a plectrum.

Students - feel free to work from it and teachers, feel free to use it to help your students.

More comng soon include Smells like teen spirit (Nirvana), Walking On The Moon (The Police) and Peaches (The Stranglers).

Feel free to post more suggestions,
Great stuff. Just starting out with lessons. Thank you
Dave
[/quote]

• 4 weeks later...

Need Your Love So Bad - Peter green (Great for developing "Feel" and Vibrato)
Communication Breakdown - Led Zeppelin (Stamina with a couple of runs)
Decadance Dance - Extreme (has some nice bits in there that give a beginner a buzz when they get them)